Bracketology

What's disappointing is that the biggest argument against us seems to be "Lack of Signature Wins" because we are 3-7 against the Top 50...here is 31-54 (last bubble team in) against the Top 50. Green indicates CBSSports.com has them in as of today.

31 North Carolina 5-3 (7 seed)

32 Pittsburgh 1-6 (7 seed)

33 Minnesota 3-5 (10 seed)

34 Memphis 3-6 (6 seed)

35 Kansas State 6-4 (8 seed)

36 Louisville 3-4 (5 seed)

37 George Washington 2-3 (8 seed)

38 Missouri 1-2 (10 seed)

39 Richmond 2-5

40 BYU 2-5

41 Xavier 1-3 (9 seed)

42 Southern Miss 1-1

43 Saint Joseph's 2-5 (11 seed)

44 Oregon 1-6

45 Oklahoma State 3-8 (11 seed)

46 California 3-5 (9 seed)

47 North Dakota State 0-2 (13 seed auto bid)

48 Stanford 4-6 (9 seed)

49 SMU 3-3 (11 seed)

50 Baylor 4-7 (11 seed)

51 North Carolina State 0-7

52 St. John's 1-5

53. Nebraska 3-7

54. Tennessee 2-6 (12 seed)

10 games against Top 50...ranks among the most for teams fighting for the 7-12 seeds. 3-7 is nothing to be embarrassed about when Oklahoma State is 3-8 and in the field...Tennessee is 2-6 and in the field...Xavier is 1-3 and in the field...Pittsburgh is 1-7 and a 7 seed.

Our top 50 wins are just fine for a team on the bubble. Sorry we played a bunch of damn good teams. We can't all be like Missouri and only play 3 top 50 teams.

All - I am going to take my time to review some resumes tonight so that I have a better handle of what is in front of us. That said, everyone should review MilesDavis' post because that is exactly what we are up against. By my count I had 23 at-large that are clearly better than us at this time. But we have to win to keep up. Very little room for error for us.

Jerry palms interview today was brutal. I was shocked that Nick made such a big deal about this guy dealin us a blow. He had to correct him on our remaining games and I felt like the guy was really reaching. He clearly had not done his he to prepare. Hope they didn pay for him.

Good to know because he said tonight on BTN Live that if we don't win our next 5 in a row that we won't get in.

They had Terran Petteway on too and he said they feel like they need 20 wins.

Jerry palms interview today was brutal. I was shocked that Nick made such a big deal about this guy dealin us a blow. He had to correct him on our remaining games and I felt like the guy was really reaching. He clearly had not done his he to prepare. Hope they didn pay for him.

I was listening to the 590 guys, and they said that we might get in if we go 8-1 in the next 9 games.  They said that might be enough, I had to chuckle to myself.  That was winning the last 6 games plus 2 in the tournament.  That would be another 2 top 25 RPI wins, and possibly 2 top 100 road wins.  That probably gets us a 7 seed.  We would be 14-3 in our last 17 games, in the 2nd toughest conference in the country.  They claimed that the Big 10 was down this year.  The top of the conference is down, but the bottom of the conference is up.

2014 RPI's

6. Wisconsin

15. Ohio State

16. Michigan

18. Michigan State

24. Iowa

33. Minnesota

53. Nebraska

91. Illinois

102. Indiana

104. Northwestern

109. Purdue

114. Penn State

Final RPI's 2013

6. Michigan State

9. Ohio State

11. Michigan

12. Indiana

30. Minnesota

31. Wisconsin

38. Illinois

61. Iowa

103. Nebraska

127. Purdue

164. Northwestern

183. Penn State

I was listening to the 590 guys, and they said that we might get in if we go 8-1 in the next 9 games.  They said that might be enough, I had to chuckle to myself.  That was winning the last 6 games plus 2 in the tournament.  That would be another 2 top 25 RPI wins, and possibly 2 top 100 road wins.  That probably gets us a 7 seed.  We would be 14-3 in our last 17 games, in the 2nd toughest conference in the country.  They claimed that the Big 10 was down this year.  The top of the conference is down, but the bottom of the conference is up.

Better than a 7 seed in those circumstances IMO...  probably a 5 if we did that -- no joke.  That would be winning 11 of our last 12, and 14 of our last 17, including 5-2 against teams in the RPI top 25 (win vs ohio state, michigan loss, msu win, wiscy would be a win, plus 2 wins in the big ten tournament as either a 3 or 4 seed -- which means we'd face 3 straight teams in the tournament with an RPI better than 25).  That would jump our RPI into roughly the mid to low 20's... and a 1-2 seed jump over your RPI placing when a team is THAT hot isn't abnormal.  This isn't the Ivy league we're talking about.  This is the big ten and the selection committee knows it.

We're in better shape than you think if we take care of business. Things get real interesting if we go 6-0.  Don't expect it but let's not be so down on where we're at -- we're in pretty good shape.

On cbssportsline they have a team comparison. .so its beee interesting comparing other teams to Nebraska. Take Minnesota. .we both have 3 road/neutral wins, we have 5 top 100 wins to their 4...we have a better conference record..we have been hotter than them and we beat them. They have a better RPI than us. .but everything else points to our resume being stronger yet they are a ten seed and we are barely on the bubble. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

According to today's update of bracket matrix we appeared in 2 of 81 NCAA bracket projections today. A 12 seed on both occasions. So according to 2 prognosticators, we are in!

For those who haven't been here, this is a cool site.

The Bracket Project

bracketmatrix.com

Make that 3 brackets now. Movin up

According to today's update of bracket matrix we appeared in 2 of 81 NCAA bracket projections today. A 12 seed on both occasions. So according to 2 prognosticators, we are in!

For those who haven't been here, this is a cool site.

The Bracket Project

bracketmatrix.com

Make that 3 brackets now. Movin up

Nice. At least 3 people have it right now!