Bracketology

Lunardi's a hack. No NU but WVU, FSU, and LSU? 

That's a pretty consensus call right now

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Yea, I'm not surprised at all.  It was a good win, but we've still lost 10 games this season.  We're on the bubble of being on the bubble.

Get the next 2 and you'll see us on these lists.

Lunardi's a hack. No NU but WVU, FSU, and LSU?

That's a pretty consensus call right now

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Yea, I'm not surprised at all. It was a good win, but we've still lost 10 games this season. We're on the bubble of being on the bubble.

Get the next 2 and you'll see us on these lists.

I see a lot of comments like this so I'm not singling you out by any means and I agree it's going to take the next two to see us appearing on the lists. But what is the obsession with overall record and why does everyone think we need a certain number of wins before we get to the bubble? We are on the bubble. The bubble should be viewed as those fringe teams and the comparison of their resume AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME. Why does it matter if we win our next two games? Oops let me reword that, yes we absolutely have to win our next two to remain on the bubble, but winning those two just means that our RPI and SOS goes down. They are the most meaningful meaningless games of the season. Yes it brings our win total to 16, and, yes we have to have them, but winning them hurts our resume and losing them pops our bubble. But we have arrived onto the bubble.

I see a lot of comments like this so I'm not singling you out by any means and I agree it's going to take the next two to see us appearing on the lists. But what is the obsession with overall record and why does everyone think we need a certain number of wins before we get to the bubble? 

19-20 probably means we make the tourney which means win 5-6 of our next 7-10 games.

A few other teams have a more probable path of hitting the number of wins it would seemingly take from them as opposed to us.

It's also worth remembering that the bubble is incredibly large right now, and it stretches far beyond the list of 8 teams that are the "first four out" and "next four out". As the next couple of weeks progress, teams will suffer bad losses and fall off the bubble, We just need to make sure we're not one of those teams, and eventually NU will start appearing on those lists as the number of candidates winds down.

Additionally most of the bracket people are just looking at a snapshot of right now - some of them don't take the time to project a team going forward. And if they do they probably rely on places like RPI Forecast that still have us finishing 3-3 with an RPI of 69.6. That finish and that RPI obviously won't be good enough. 

Right now we're not in. We still have work to do. And honestly having us not appear on these lists is probably the best motivator the players need. So it doesn't bother me. The longer we stay "under the radar", the better ... although wins like yesterday make that pretty tough to do.  ;)

Tony, I can't wait to read it!!!

Quick question - if we go 10-8 AND get one win the Big 10 Tournament... finishing with 19 wins and an RPI around 48... are we in and out? Also assuming Minnesota goes 9-9.

It's not just what we do, unfortunately, Dave. What if Wichita State loses in the Valley tournament? What does the committee do with Toledo if they don't win the MAC. What if Wyoming wins the Mountain West? All plausible scenarios. Hopefully I'll be able to go through some different scenarios on that tonight. If we don't win the Big Ten tournament, we have to be one of the 36 next best teams in the eyes of the committee. We'll see how close we are. 

According to today's update of bracket matrix we appeared in 2 of 81 NCAA bracket projections today. A 12 seed on both occasions. So according to 2 prognosticators, we are in!

For those who haven't been here, this is a cool site.

The Bracket Project

bracketmatrix.com

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing

BT Powerhouse:  Nebraska's NCAA Tournament Chances

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2014/2/17/5419104/nebraskas-ncaa-tournament-chances

"After the loss to Nebraska on Sunday, twitter was buzzing about how it was such a bad loss for Michigan State. The Cornhuskers went on the road and won a game against a top ten team?! Crazy! Nebraska hasn't reached the NCAA Tournament since 1998. Well, under the direction of Tim Miles, Nebraska has life and is a much better squad than those twitter critics realize.

The Cornhuskers sit at 14-10 going into their last six games of the season. No longer are BT Powerhouse writers sitting around the table debating the likelihood of them making the NIT, but instead are debating if they can reach the big dance. It's a fair discussion and one that can be seen either way. They certainly have the schedule to help push them all the way into Seth Greenberg's favorite territory, the bubble."

Click the link for the whole article.

BT Powerhouse:  Nebraska's NCAA Tournament Chances

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2014/2/17/5419104/nebraskas-ncaa-tournament-chances

"After the loss to Nebraska on Sunday, twitter was buzzing about how it was such a bad loss for Michigan State. The Cornhuskers went on the road and won a game against a top ten team?! Crazy! Nebraska hasn't reached the NCAA Tournament since 1998. Well, under the direction of Tim Miles, Nebraska has life and is a much better squad than those twitter critics realize.

The Cornhuskers sit at 14-10 going into their last six games of the season. No longer are BT Powerhouse writers sitting around the table debating the likelihood of them making the NIT, but instead are debating if they can reach the big dance. It's a fair discussion and one that can be seen either way. They certainly have the schedule to help push them all the way into Seth Greenberg's favorite territory, the bubble."

Click the link for the whole article.

"Nebraska owns a 2-7 record at home and 3-9 overall if you include neutral sites. The NCAA selection committee could get caught up by that stat when comparing Nebraska to other teams on the bubble."

I would imagine that would catch their eye...if it were actually accurate. Yikes, that makes us sound bad.