Kaylee Page

atskooc

I think I told you last year the wrong date to see Miss Page play in Marysville.  The game is this Friday.  So, if you're up for driving 70 miles south to see a future Husker, come on down.

Sadly, I have a previous engagement and can't make it.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 6'2 player handle the ball any better than Kaylee. She's like a coach out there. The first half she handled the point guard spot the second half she posted up. She sees the court really well. She shoots with both hands. Can catch and shoot the ball in traffic. Marysville had a 6'2 girl in her back pocket the whole game. She didn't hit a shot from any further out than say 15 feet. She had her three point shots rattle in and fall out.  Her hardest adjustment most likely will be getting aquainted with the speed of the college game. But the way she looks now though that won't be too much of a problem. Needs to get some meat on her arms. She's built like Emily Cady when Em was a freshman.  She had 16 tonight and grabbed maybe 12 rebounds. Were she in Lincoln now she would see the court.

Now here's the deal we've got to get little sister Lanie to follow her big sister up to Lincoln! I'm really impressed with Lanie. I think she might of had 30 tonight. She's just as good as Kaylee maybe a better shot. She shoots right handed but that didn't stop her from making two 8 foot jumpers in the paint with the left hand! Marysville couldn't stop her. She probably had 8 or 9 rebounds maybe 5 blocked shots half dozen steals and 4 three pointers. And it looks like she's not even trying. Wamego won 60 - 43

BhXOb9ECUAAGuxi.jpg

Wisconsin coach was there watching Lanie.

I hope we can get in on this kid!  Hopefully their dad (current coach) wants them to stay together (for our sake).  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he moves the family to Lincoln to be closer to Kaylee.

I hope we can get in on this kid!  Hopefully their dad (current coach) wants them to stay together (for our sake).  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he moves the family to Lincoln to be closer to Kaylee.

If I was that kid I wouldn't want to go to a school that only gets a 1000 people in stands when you can come to Lincoln and play with 5 to 8 thousand on any given night.

If I was that kid I wouldn't want to go to a school that only gets a 1000 people in stands when you can come to Lincoln and play with 5 to 8 thousand on any given night.

Something tells me Wisconsin and Nebraska aren't her only options. 

An article in Sports in Kansas today has an interview with both Kaylee and Lanie Page.

http://kansas-sports.com/ks/news/?id=2380&t=faces-in-ks-kaylee-and-lanie-page-of-wamego

What was/is the recruiting process like for the both of you?

K: Honestly, it was really, really stressful and overwhelming.

L: Its pretty stressful. But I'm really waiting until after the basketball season to think about it more. I'm not decided.

Kansas girls sub state games started this week.  Kaylee Page's Wamego team won their first round of substate last night, and will advance and play Saturday.  If they win Saturday they will advance to the state tournament for 4a (6a is biggest size in ks) which will be held in Salina, Kansas next week.  Wamego's main competition as they try to win the 4a state title again this year will be Bishop Miege (kc) (beat Jess Shepard's team in a holiday tourney earlier this year); Andover Central and Paola.  Wamego has a good chance to win again this year, but the Page sisters don't have nearly as much help as they had a year ago when they won but graduated a couple kids.  I haven't seen any recent stats on Kaylee or Lanie.

Emily Wood's salina central team is 19-1 and the 1 seed in their sub state.  They won by a lot against a bad 8 seed last night, and then play again v Newton on Saturday.  Newton is ranked 9 in 5a.  If Central wins they advance to the state tourney in Topeka next week.  5a is loaded in ks this year.  Leavenworth is probably the favorite as they have 3 kids Tyler Johnson, Tosha Jones, and Rachel Blackburn who have BCS offers.  All 3 kids are 2015s and over 6 feet tall.  KU, KSU and OSU are watching them all, and I think Blackburn was at an NU gm this year, but in my opinion Tyler Johnson is the best of the bunch. Her dad played with Wayman Tisdale at OU many years ago.  Central has a chance though as Emily is having a great year (avg 16 ppg) and her teammate Shaelyn Martin is a 6'1 athlete similar to maddie simon who has signed to play at KSU.   Wichita Kapun and Acquinas are also very good.  Kapun has a guard committed to Drake, and a 6'3" post who turned down Missouri Valley offers in bball to play volleyball at Notre Dame. 

http://www.thewamegosmokesignal.com/Articles-Sports-c-2014-02-25-182708.113118-Kaylee-Page-recognized-as-leading-player-for-Wamego.html

local article re: KJ.   Her career pt total is pretty impressive because ks plays less games than a lot of states.  20 gm regular season and 25 gm max if a team makes state finals.  I read Natalie Romeo crossed 2,000 earlier this year.  Guessing California plays about 30-35 games per year. 

Good article on the Page sisters from the Wichita paper after tonights first round game against Mulvane.

http://www.varsitykansas.com/2014/03/12/65913/wamego-sisters-a-dominating-duo.html

“Their games are similar in some regards,” Jim Page said of his daughters. “But also very different. Kaylee (13 points, 12 rebounds against Mulvane) is a little more cerebral on the floor. You hear coaches all the time talking about a player being an extension of their coach on the floor.”

Lanee, who had 27 points and seven rebounds Wednesday, should be a sophomore. But when she was ready to start the eighth grade, she was bored. Students frequently test out of a class or two here and there; she tested out of the eighth grade and will graduate next spring when she’s 16.

“I’ve talked to some college coaches and a couple of them want to redshirt me when I get to college,” Lanee said. “But I don’t know if that’s what I want to do, I just want to go and play. I don’t really feel like I need to get back to my age group. I like the challenge, although I know college basketball is going to be a lot different.”

“I’ve never been on a basketball team without my sister,” she said. “Yeah, we’ve had our ups and downs, but it’s been great and next year is going to be rough. She’s only going to be two hours away at Nebraska, but it’s still really going to be different.”

Kalee said she signed with Nebraska because she loves the coaching staff and the academic environment. She thinks her sister would love Nebraska, too.

“I’d love her to go there,” Kalee said. “But I want her to go where she’s happy.”

All good things must come to an end! KC Bishop Miege beat Wamego and the Page sisters 57-41 to win the Kansas 4A State title this afternoon. Bishop Miege started hot right off the get go and led 19-6 and Wamego spent the rest of the game playing catch-up. All and all a good season for Kaylee and Lanie. 

Now Kaylee can start to focus on taking her talents to the big stage that is PBA!

-------------------------

Future Husker walk-on Emily Wood's Salina Central's high school team also lost this afternoon in their bid to win the Kansas 5A state title to Leavenworth 64 - 53.