Low post and Baseline defense?

Rachoo

Why are we unable to execute any kind of consistent low post or baseline defense?  Players? Lack of teaching it? Lack of understanding?  Lack of execution?  Scheme?  Don't understand how we can over and over get burned with open man deep for at least 12 to 14 points. What is the missing element - isn't just lack of big men if there is no one within 10 feet of the open deep man. Frustrating! :(

We're obviously not a good defensive team, but I'd rather have a team full of offensive weapons that can be taught defense than a team that is sound on defense but limited offensively.  You can coach a team to play solid defense, you can't coach a team of non scorers into scorers.

Obviously I'd rather have them come in adequate at both, but that isn't really an option this year.

I really think we were spoiled from a defensive stand point with Doc. Very few teams defended like we did under him. I went to 10+ practices a year and I don't recall many were the pick and role or cutting off the base line weren't worked on. Since I can't go to practice anymore I'm not real sure what our defensive philosophy is regarding those and I'm having a hard time seeing what it is we are trying to do during the games except playing poor defense.

I really think we were spoiled from a defensive stand point with Doc. Very few teams defended like we did under him. I went to 10+ practices a year and I don't recall many were the pick and role or cutting off the base line weren't worked on. Since I can't go to practice anymore I'm not real sure what our defensive philosophy is regarding those and I'm having a hard time seeing what it is we are trying to do during the games except playing poor defense.

I thought we were showing improvement on defense until last night's game. Just a lot of communication breakdowns last night e.g. one guy switching on the pick while the other guy didn't leaving a guy wide open off the screen. I don't think it has to do with philosophy, we were still a pretty good defensive team last year without Doc.

Last year it is Brandon Ubel defending. Huge difference. He was taught how the do it properly for the 3 years prior. I think the reason we were so good on defense last year was most of those players had th proper defensive mentality instilled in them. They didn't know any other way that play defense. I agree that there is a lack of communication on defense but I can't seem to find any consistency to what our philosophy is. Do we cut off the base line or do we funnel the penetration to the baseline? I honestly can't tell. That is one of the foundations of your defensive philosophy. We have zero consistency in how we play the pick and role. There basically 3 distinct ways to play it. Typically most teams will scout and practice two of them so that adjustments can be made in game. I am still not sure if our guys are just not the executing them properly or what. I can't tell from what I am seeing on the floor during games. That concerns me. But I'm a defense guy so maybe I'm being overly critical.

Last year it is Brandon Ubel defending. Huge difference. He was taught how the do it properly for the 3 years prior. I think the reason we were so good on defense last year was most of those players had th proper defensive mentality instilled in them. They didn't know any other way that play defense. I agree that there is a lack of communication on defense but I can't seem to find any consistency to what our philosophy is. Do we cut off the base line or do we funnel the penetration to the baseline? I honestly can't tell. That is one of the foundations of your defensive philosophy. We have zero consistency in how we play the pick and role. There basically 3 distinct ways to play it. Typically most teams will scout and practice two of them so that adjustments can be made in game. I am still not sure if our guys are just not the executing them properly or what. I can't tell from what I am seeing on the floor during games. That concerns me. But I'm a defense guy so maybe I'm being overly critical.

I got Flip Saunders' Minnesota Timberwolf playbook where they have 6 pick & roll defensive strategies