Projected Starting Five (according to Robin Washut)

BjoeHusker

Robin Washut from Nebraska Online (rivals) stated based on his observations of practice the starting five will be:

PG: Benny Parker

SG: Ray Gallegos

SF: Dylan Talley

PF: Brandon Ubel

C: Andre Almeida

Don't think this is much of a surprise. Still not 100% on if Biggs will redshirt. Either way Biggs can play in the exhibition.

Have we ever had a weaker starting five in the last dozen or so years? Or the last 30?

I am not convinced that this is necessarily a weak starting five. The biggest concern is the depth of the team and the health of the players.

Now, don't take that the wrong way, I am not stating that this is anywhere close to an all-star team, but the starting five and perhaps two or three subs are, at a minimum, decent players. Our starting five and bench were likely worse in 06-07...we had Chuck and Aleks and then a patchwork of heart and crutches.

My guess on first guy off the bench is Shields. I wish it would be Rivers because then I would feel like he's made a move for more playing time.

With the roster that we have available for us this year, Rivers needs to command minutes. I mean, he really needs to command minutes. I mean, if he's not solidly in the main rotation and getting at least 20 min/game this year with the kind of roster we have, then he probably needs to look elsewhere to finish his career. This season represents, among other things, an opportunity for younger players to get significant experience and playing time. The competition for minutes is only going to get tougher in coming years. If there's a scholarship kid on this roster who can't get meaningful minutes, he'll have to do some soul searching and ask himself whether a lower level school might be a better fit.

With the roster that we have available for us this year, Rivers needs to command minutes. I mean, he really needs to command minutes. I mean, if he's not solidly in the main rotation and getting at least 20 min/game this year with the kind of roster we have, then he probably needs to look elsewhere to finish his career. This season represents, among other things, an opportunity for younger players to get significant experience and playing time. The competition for minutes is only going to get tougher in coming years. If there's a scholarship kid on this roster who can't get meaningful minutes, he'll have to do some soul searching and ask himself whether a lower level school might be a better fit.

Dead on, here. If walk ons are taking even a single minute from a scholly player, they need to move. Rivers should be better than that, at least talent wise, and if he's not, he needs to pack. I think we'll see quite a bit of him, though. If anything by default. I'm trying really hard to not look at this schedule. It's frightening.

Gallegos can slide into the point if needed. Mike Peltz....Menke....could get dicey.

My guess on first guy off the bench is Shields. I wish it would be Rivers because then I would feel like he's made a move for more playing time.

Buckle in boys and girls! It's almost showtime!

Gonna be dicey at point no matter who is there this year.

I have actually heard Peltz is doing and looking good. I know that is kind of scary to think that our walk-on may be in the top 8, but maybe he ends up being like Beranek or Verlander where they don't really hurt you, they just may not do a ton for you either. If he is the backup PG, his job will simply be to run the show and try and limit turnovers.

I dont know what you guys are talking about having a back up for benny parker? The kid is a beast and will play until he cant breath! Hes got great basketball iq and the speed of light...All in all we will surprise a lot of people doubting our lineup as understaffed or not enough guys to play. Just wait and see what happens this coming sunday.

I dont know what you guys are talking about having a back up for benny parker?

What if he gets in foul trouble or injured? What if his height becomes a matchup liability in certain situations?

A team with depth is certainly better than the same team without it.

Robin Washut from Nebraska Online (rivals) stated based on his observations of practice the starting five will be:

PG: Benny Parker

SG: Ray Gallegos

SF: Dylan Talley

PF: Brandon Ubel

C: Andre Almeida

Don't think this is much of a surprise. Still not 100% on if Biggs will redshirt. Either way Biggs can play in the exhibition.

Miles has confirmed this lineup for the first exhibition game