"Things appear to be trending up for the Cornhuskers"...by SB Nation

trickey

Maybe it's too early to ask, but since the author of the article brought it up, do we look better as a team than we did a year ago?  And, if so, by how much?  This guy's talking NIT and saying NCAA isn't realistic because we have 3 losses, including to UAB.  So, let's concede we aren't likely NCAA bound.  Are we at least a post-season team?  And, by that, I mean the NIT and not the CBI.

Maybe it's too early to ask, but since the author of the article brought it up, do we look better as a team than we did a year ago? And, if so, by how much? This guy's talking NIT and saying NCAA isn't realistic because we have 3 losses, including to UAB. So, let's concede we aren't likely NCAA bound. Are we at least a post-season team? And, by that, I mean the NIT and not the CBI.

So I guess North Carolina is out of the running too then?

Maybe it's too early to ask, but since the author of the article brought it up, do we look better as a team than we did a year ago? And, if so, by how much? This guy's talking NIT and saying NCAA isn't realistic because we have 3 losses, including to UAB. So, let's concede we aren't likely NCAA bound. Are we at least a post-season team? And, by that, I mean the NIT and not the CBI.

So I guess North Carolina is out of the running too then?

To be fair they've also beat #1 MSU, #3 Louisville, and a #11 kentucky so their resume is a little better than ours.  If they arent the most jekyl and hyde team out there I dont know what to tell you.  Also they've shot 47% from the FT in their losses so their weakness has been found.

Is it a safe bet that an above .500 record gets us into the NIT?

I don't think so - not anymore. The NIT has to take any regular season conference champion who doesn't win its conf tourney & receive an at large NCAA bid. Last year the NIT gave out 10 of these "automatic" bids. After that it's based on "resume", just like an NCAA bid.

RPI forecast puts our RPI at #90 with a 16-14 record, and that probably isn't good enough to get us in the NIT. It'd be close though. Last year Washington got one of the last NIT bids with an RPI in the 80s, but the other "last four" in were Ohio, Indiana St and Detroit, and all had RPIs in the 70s.

Is it a safe bet that an above .500 record gets us into the NIT?

I don't think so - not anymore. The NIT has to take any regular season conference champion who doesn't win its conf tourney & receive an at large NCAA bid. Last year the NIT gave out 10 of these "automatic" bids. After that it's based on "resume", just like an NCAA bid.

RPI forecast puts our RPI at #90 with a 16-14 record, and that probably isn't good enough to get us in the NIT. It'd be close though. Last year Washington got one of the last NIT bids with an RPI in the 80s, but the other "last four" in were Ohio, Indiana St and Detroit, and all had RPIs in the 70s.

It is quite a bit more difficult to reach the NIT these days. In addition to the above, it will also hinge quite a bit on our B1G conference standings position and whether the conference is considered strong and deep once again. We may have to be knocking on the NCAA doorstep to get a look.