12/08/2013 - Creighton Report Card

hhcdave

When I flipped on the TV it was 40 - 10. A brutish reminder of what being a Nebraska basketball fan is all about. The highs and lows are pronounced.

You need to find the high within the low.  One member found his in Nyquil shots.

NyQuil is just the chaser.

SO that's why I was seeing purple dragons.

When I flipped on the TV it was 40 - 10. A brutish reminder of what being a Nebraska basketball fan is all about. The highs and lows are pronounced.

You need to find the high within the low.  One member found his in Nyquil shots.

That's one way to describe a Jaysker

Better than pink elephants, I suppose.

F - Miles burning a redshirt in a blowout loss with a player that doesn't look ready.

I didn't see it as a burned red shirt. Hawkins had said he was playing and he got his wish. Also if Ray doesn't pick up the pace Hawkins will be taking his minutes.

I also thought that Hawkins d upped against Doug fairly well and we played better when he came into the game.

Just my $.02

F - Miles burning a redshirt in a blowout loss with a player that doesn't look ready.

I would disagree that Hawkins didn't look ready.  He didn't seem to shy away from the big stage and he probably played the best post defense against DM than any of our guys.  I would expect to see his minutes increase now that he is able to play.

Coz, if you go back and review the comments from the original exhibition game, most people noted that Hawkins played the best of all the freshman.  I have zero issues with the decision to redshirt Nick Fuller; he needs strength and another year to mature.  But Hawk has the strength and athletic skill set to play and play well this year. 

He will get minutes and he will continue to improve.  I understand your angst in waiting this long to see him, but as others said, it was never his intent to redshirt this year.  It was simply a matter of when he would heal sufficiently enough to contribute.

Simply put, we see these guys once, maybe twice a week.  The coaches see these guys once maybe twice if not more a day.  There is a reason certain people play and certain people do not. 

There is also a reason we all sit here with a brewsky in our hands typing about what we think should and should not happen while someone else makes the bucks to make that decision.  I trust the coaches to do what is best for the team, not just now, but in the future as well.  If that means more Hawkins and less Rivers so be it. 

You can't redshirt everybody, guys.

No offense to Hawkins, but if in 3 1/2 years we don't have other young players on board who are as good or better than him ready to step in and replace him, then we're in big trouble.

And no offense to you, but I think that's an unfair statement on a player we've seen play 11 (?) minutes. 

You can't redshirt everybody, guys.

No offense to Hawkins, but if in 3 1/2 years we don't have other young players on board who are as good or better than him ready to step in and replace him, then we're in big trouble.

And no offense to you, but I think that's an unfair statement on a player we've seen play 11 (?) minutes. 

I wasn't trying to make it sound like he's a bad player. I certainly hope he's awesome, and I actually think he is going to be pretty good.

I'm saying it'd be nice to have another good guard with playing experience heading into next year. Fuller is already going to be learning to play in Division I games this time next year, and it sounds like we may have a transfer or two coming in who will have to sit out the fall semester. We've seen what the adjustment period is like for new guys and it's pretty rough, so I'm all for Hawkins going through his growing pains now when we're not really going anywhere this year anyway.

We want to be a regular NCAA Tournament team by the time Hawkins is a senior. All I was saying is that if we have reached that level in 3.5 years, then getting commits like Hawkins really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Coz, if you go back and review the comments from the original exhibition game, most people noted that Hawkins played the best of all the freshman.  I have zero issues with the decision to redshirt Nick Fuller; he needs strength and another year to mature.  But Hawk has the strength and athletic skill set to play and play well this year. 

He will get minutes and he will continue to improve.  I understand your angst in waiting this long to see him, but as others said, it was never his intent to redshirt this year.  It was simply a matter of when he would heal sufficiently enough to contribute.

Fine but we've seen this show before with Wes and Ubel.  The kid looks like he could use a year in the weight room. 

So far I've been less than impressed with Miles' roster utilization.