Best player you ever saw at the Devaney

Handy Johnson

Since this is the last season in our hallowed hall, I was wondering who was the best player (s) you ever saw there IN PERSON. Not read about, heard about or saw on TV. Here's my Top 5.

1. Wayman Tisdale - Oklahoma

2. Harold Minor - USC

3. Steve Smith - Michigan St.

4. Danny Manning - Kansas

5. Eric Piatkowski - Nebraska

Honorable mention: Anthony Peeler, Mitch Richmond, Byron Houston

Sorry I missed: Beasley, Durant, Griffin

Michael Jordan.

Sat at about mid court in the old A section bleachers for that one.

Interesting sidenote to this story. The game had been sold out well in advance and I wasn't even planning on trying to go to the game, but for whatever reason I wasn't doing anything that night and so I thought what the heck and I went down to the will call window under the south side ramp right before tipoff and picked up that ticket.

And now I can say I got to watch MJ play in person.

This thread got me to thinking (nice job, Handy) about some of the greats that have played there, and I gotta say it's a pretty impressive list. Consider the 1988 NCAA tourney for example. Sean Miller and Pitt were there, along with Danny and the miracles. Will Perdue was there with Vandy.

Then I got to thinking about coaches. Did you know that John Calipari was an assistant with Pitt that year? Makes one wonder who some of the games' greatest are that have come through the BDSC that we may not have even known about!

I started a similar thread to this last summer with a complete list of all the players I remembered seeing during my many years at BDSC. I do remember sitting next to Oscar Robertson on the bleachers during the state high school tournament one year. He and Jordan were undoubtedly the best to enter BSDC. But Jack Moore was my favorite to watch.

I seem to recall seeing Joba Chamberlain and Danny Woodhead there on an occasion or two also.

Joba Chamberlain is not important. He is 40 pounds over weight. Everyone will say he is a God because he plays for the Yankees. However, he is not as effective anymore because he is no longer able to use steroids. Yes, I said steroids. If anyone does not believe he was on something then you are completely out of your mind.

Probably Manning for me. Was there for the '88 Tourney games. He basically willed that team to the championship that year. Really thought Oklahoma would beat them in the end, but that magic somehow stuck. :D Glad to be able to say I saw the start of that. After that, probably Pike and King. Just an awesome group that played in the early nineties. If only Danny could have kept that momentum going.