2012-2013 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

Looked today and on Kenpom.com, and I see Nebraska comes in as easily the lowest rated B1G team, clocking in at a whopping 216.

Next lowest rated?

Northwestern.

At 90.

Here are the rest...

67 - Penn State
54 - Illinois
53 - Iowa
37 - Purdue
26 - Minnesota
12 - Michigan
5 - Wisconsin
4 - Michigan State
3 - Indiana
2 - Ohio State

Remember the days when we used to chastise Doc for scheduling games against teams in the +200 RPI range?

Yeah...

Happy Halloween everybody!

Not sure I would have envisioned this team that low, but not sure it totally surprises me that someone comes to that conclusion either, considering the changes Miles made and what he's looking at with the rebuilding project here.

I'm actually more surprised that UNO is twenty spots off the bottom of the list. :) Would not have expected that.

Also, as pointed out on the basketball preview show on BTN, 50% of the preseason AP all-americans are in the B1G and are the only BCS conference schools represented... crazy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/indianas-zeller-creightons-mcdermott-lead-ap-preseason-all-america-team/2012/10/29/184c4954-21e4-11e2-92f8-7f9c4daf276a_story.html

• 2 weeks later...

Updated Pomeroy rankings for the B1G through 11-14:

1. Indiana

2. Ohio State

5. Michigan

7. Michigan State

12. Wisconsin

13. Minnesota

45. Purdue

47. Iowa

48. Illinois

86. Northwestern

93. Penn State

209. Nebraska

Games Played:

326. Southern - W

101. Valpariaso - W

Upcoming non-cons:

327. UNO

130. Tulane

170. Kent State

208. @Wake Forest

157. Southern Cal

25. Creighton

109. @Oregon

181. Jacksonville State

---Sun Bowl Invitational--

316. Central Michigan

100./333. UTEP/Ark PB

306. Nicholls State

After we play Creighton, our RPI will probably shoot up. Honestly, I don't think and didn't think we belonged that low (200s.) I've seen the teams we played that were 100s, 200s and 300s. We're better than the RPI 200 and 300 level teams. I mean, even as bad as we are, we're not quite that bad. With our second unit out there, it's close. But not the starters. I could see us ending with an RPI in the mid-100s.

How'd we finish last year?

After we play Creighton, our RPI will probably shoot up. Honestly, I don't think and didn't think we belonged that low (200s.) I've seen the teams we played that were 100s, 200s and 300s. We're better than the RPI 200 and 300 level teams. I mean, even as bad as we are, we're not quite that bad. With our second unit out there, it's close. But not the starters. I could see us ending with an RPI in the mid-100s.

How'd we finish last year?

140s last year. Nolan had us at #148. We were pretty low. I don't see any way we can match even that this year.

We were exceedingly fortunate last night, which is awesome. But that won't happen a lot this season.

TCP, I disagree. I don't think we were exceedingly fortunate. I watched as the game went along, even in the early going when we were trailing, and I kept thinking "we can play with this team." After reading all the "we're gonna get killed by Valpo" kinds of posts, and reading how they shot over 50% from beyond the arc, and watching them in warm-ups, I had my doubts. Coach Miles even said the players had their doubts before they went out on the floor. But, believe it or not, we were better athletically and, because of that, we were able to take away their strength.

I think people look back historically on Ubel and Gallegos as guys who were not effective scorers. And historically, they weren't. For Ubel, I think that's because Diaz was the guy we ran the ball through in the low post and Ubel was there to set screens and to throw bodies on people so that his teammates could rebound. Valpo was doubling the post with Ubel (because they didn't respect our outside shooting -- and why would they?) and he still scored 17 pts. And the only guy on the floor last night who could stop Ray from scoring was Ray.

I honestly think the better team won last night and I think, contrary to what Kent said, the game was not as close as the final margin. In the middle 20 minutes, we took Valpo to the woodshed.

Here's the thing about the Pomeroy rankings, and why I believe we are rated so low right now. Pomeroy bases its rankings in the pre and early season on where the team finished the year before and what that team returns for the present year.

Since we finished so low last year, and since we return less than 25% of last year's offensive production this year (as I seem to recall the BTN studio guy mentioned during the game broadcast last night, due in no small part to big Al and Rey taking a redshirt last year), it really hurts us when it comes to early season rankings. I do see some pretty encouraging signs early on with Ubel taking a pretty major step forward in terms of leadership, with Rey showing signs of some improvement, and Parker is playing above his freshman status too. With Talley returning to form, and hopefully Rivers and Peltz becoming decent contributors as well, there is some hope for some (very) cautious optimism.

The Pomeroy system is one which undoubtedly is flawed for pretty obvious reasons, then again, all RPI like rankings are terribly flawed early on. The others mentioned above seem to be also just as flawed, because I don't see us getting anywhere near the 40's and 50's with this team. However, I have been known to be wrong before.

In reality, I expect we should be somewhere in the #100 to #150 range right now, and should be able to match up pretty favorably for pretty much all of our non-conference games. Of course, once we get to the B1G part of our schedule, we will be pretty heavily overmatched, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility for us to sneak a handful of wins if, (and admittedly it's a pretty big if) we can keep the injuries to an absolute bare minimum, and if we have decent luck avoiding foul trouble.

Finally, I expect we will more than likely start off next year with a lower-than-we-deserve Pomeroy ranking, too. Owing to the fact that we will have no fewer than 6 newcomers to the lineup who by all accounts should be the front line of our rotation.

if we finish .500 Miles should win coach of the year. This team is similar to the team that Tom Crean inherited at Indiana his first year.. We may have a little more talent due to the fact that we aren't on probation but that team finished 6-25 and 1-17 in b1g play. I'm expecting similar results in conference play