Parker needs to slow it down

Raidsker

“Me, I’m used to going fast, fast, fast, and coach wants to keep a slow pace and get the team where we need to be,” Parker said

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/parker-has-edge-on-starting-point-guard-job/article_6c3a4381-d3af-5f01-b603-7d46770ddbe5.html

Lets see how a link does from my phone. Hope we don't slow it down to much after what we are coming from!

With Andre, Vucetic, and Ubel there is really no choice but to slow it down... unless there are 4 or 5 guards on the floor at once. Also, do you really think Nebraska has the athleticism to go up and down with Ohio St, Indiana, and Mich st?

Slowing it down will be the only chance Nebraska can hang with the teams in the big 10.

I imagine the tempo will gradually pick up from year to year. It will be easier to run the floor when Webster, Pitchford, and Fuller start playing.

I don't care how the games look, as long as we do what it takes to win. Slow as snails? If that's a talent equalizer, so be it. Run and gun? If we're not a turnover a minute, great!

It depends Noah...It was my impression that Coach Miles is going to install his system. The system he anticipates leveraging for the future of the program. The system that he can show to recruits and fans that will say, here ya go, this is what I am about and what the Huskers will be about for years to come. It is his imprint.

This year, not all of the players may be able to fit into his system, but it will be an interesting choice for Coach Miles. Does he do what Danny Nee did and roll out the system and let it play out, or does he do what Doc did, where he changed his system in order to win the day and adjust to his players? Dare I say it since I am/was a big fan of Doc's...Look where each decision took those two?

Slow it down...as in get the guys to their spots. Not slow it down and milk the clock. Benny played in a system that was all about run and run and run. I agree....we can't run and gun with this group. But in no way are we going to stand 40 feet from the basket and run the clock to 9 seconds and then go try and get a shot. They want him to slow down...not milk the clock. Big difference in the two systems.

Think of it this way. In high school Benny was fast and they wanted him to go 1 on 1 against anyone in transition...maybe even 1 on 2. No way can he do that in college. Slow it down and get it set and rely on the motion offense to attack. If we get an open look at 20 seconds left on the shot clock...we are firing away all day.

There is a difference, presumably, between undisciplined run-and-gun and a disciplined but fast-paced offense. What Miles wants from Parker is discipline in the offense. Here is the operative quote from Benny: "In high school, I was just up-and-down, up-and-down, and AAU, we were up-and-down, too. We never run a set offense like this before. This is something new for me."

Fire Tim Miles!

We need to run up-tempo and score lots of points so we can get more 8-star recruits to commit to Nebraska!

I say we open up the checkbook and offer Rick Calipari $2 million a year to lure him away from Kentucky!!! Who would turn down that kind of money? Or maybe that John Pitino guy...I hear he's pretty good to.

Slow it down...as in get the guys to their spots. Not slow it down and milk the clock. Benny played in a system that was all about run and run and run. I agree....we can't run and gun with this group. But in no way are we going to stand 40 feet from the basket and run the clock to 9 seconds and then go try and get a shot. They want him to slow down...not milk the clock. Big difference in the two systems.

Think of it this way. In high school Benny was fast and they wanted him to go 1 on 1 against anyone in transition...maybe even 1 on 2. No way can he do that in college. Slow it down and get it set and rely on the motion offense to attack. If we get an open look at 20 seconds left on the shot clock...we are firing away all day.

That's how I read this article too. Everyone see "slow down" and automatically freaks out. Just take it down from 100 mph to 85 mph young fella.

There is a difference, presumably, between undisciplined run-and-gun and a disciplined but fast-paced offense. What Miles wants from Parker is discipline in the offense. Here is the operative quote from Benny: "In high school, I was just up-and-down, up-and-down, and AAU, we were up-and-down, too. We never run a set offense like this before. This is something new for me."

Run & gun doesn't have to be undisciplined. The all-time best example of this was Paul Westhead's Loyola Marymount teams. They averaged between 110 & 124 points a game and that was due to their system. The fast break and the secondary break were choreographed down to that last nuance. Everybody had a role and spots to fill, there was never any randomly running it down the floor and chucking it up. You don't get "good" shots in under 10 seconds without them being disciplined. The term "good" means shots from who they wanted and where they wanteded them.

Yeah, jimmy, I'm sick and tired of this whole "molasses Miles" style of play. It's clearly an experiment that has failed, I mean, we have all these new facilities and haven't even signed a single McDonald's AA. Even worse is TIM MILES HAS NEVER WON A GAME AS HUSKER COACH!

I mean, let that soak in for a minute.

As far as potential replacements for Tim, I'll throw another name out there for you. I've heard good things about this Boeheim fella from New York. I hear they're pretty good at basketball over there in New York!

Yeah, jimmy, I'm sick and tired of this whole "molasses Miles" style of play. It's clearly an experiment that has failed, I mean, we have all these new facilities and haven't even signed a single McDonald's AA. Even worse is TIM MILES HAS NEVER WON A GAME AS HUSKER COACH!

I mean, let that soak in for a minute.

As far as potential replacements for Tim, I'll throw another name out there for you. I've heard good things about this Boeheim fella from New York. I hear they're pretty good at basketball over there in New York!

:D

Good thing we have so many coaches posting on here........take a look at Miles CSU teams. The pace picked up year to year.

I agree. I like the fact that we have a number of coaches and other knowledgeable people post here. It's really edifying for people like me to be able to read what they have to say. And we're fortunate because we do have a good number of knowledgeable people who post here with a broad range of perspectives. I think that's one of the best attributes of this site.