Leading Scorer?

Just thinking about the upcoming season and wondering who y'all think will lead us in scoring and also who will have the biggest jump in points from their career average.

Here's what I think: I believe Dylan Talley will lead us in scoring he can shoot the three and has a very good pull up jumper, I think with the new offense that better suits his game, he'll be averaging 12-15 points a game.

As far as biggest jump in production I think Ray Gallegos will improve on his 3 ppg, and could be close to double figures this year, I think the redshirt really helped him last year and like Talley the new offensive system will help him. I also think he will play with more freedom and confidence.

Well, for Hawaii, it'll probably be Christian Standhardinger.

(Ha! Beat ya to it, Cip!) :D

Setting aside my joke about Standhardinger "scoring," I found this vimeo video on Christian. Looks like he's kind of learned to post up. Good for him. I'd bet he'll end up being a good player for Hawaii. And, if he graduates, it sure helps our APR.

http://vimeo.com/44513372

Setting aside my joke about Standhardinger "scoring," I found this vimeo video on Christian. Looks like he's kind of learned to post up. Good for him. I'd bet he'll end up being a good player for Hawaii. And, if he graduates, it sure helps our APR.

Norm the bigger question is does he still run away willie nillie looking like a chicken with its head cut off?

Depends. If Biggs plays, he'll be the guy, it won't be close. If he plays, he could be a lot like that PG from Penn St last year. Potent scorer with not much else around him. If he doesn't, it could be any number of guys. I'll say a healthy Dylan Talley is a pretty good bet. I like the Gallegos pick, too. I think he'll have a big year.

Depends. If Biggs plays, he'll be the guy, it won't be close. If he plays, he could be a lot like that PG from Penn St last year. Potent scorer with not much else around him. If he doesn't, it could be any number of guys. I'll say a healthy Dylan Talley is a pretty good bet. I like the Gallegos pick, too. I think he'll have a big year.

Uneblinstu, I'm curious as to why you're so high on Biggs. To compare him to Frazier? If he was anywhere near as good as Frazier, why didn't he have better offers coming out of Juco? I sure hope you're right; I would be pleasantly surprised if your description ends up being on the mark.

I don't think Biggs is anywhere close to Frazier, but I suspect the reason his offers were so limited is because schools were concerned he wouldn't qualify (or that qualification would come really, really late, which it did). Most schools probably decided to go with a known commodity instead of rolling the dice, especially with the rule change this year allowing coaches to work with kids in the summer. Nebraska had enough open scholarships that saving a spot for him until August really wasn't a big deal.

Uneblinstu, I'm curious as to why you're so high on Biggs. To compare him to Frazier? If he was anywhere near as good as Frazier, why didn't he have better offers coming out of Juco? I sure hope you're right; I would be pleasantly surprised if your description ends up being on the mark.

He didn't have grades.

Did I mention that the leading scorer for this years team will be Mr. Gallegos.

If you are right, I think that would be very good news for this team. I say that because we know Dylan Talley is going to get some points. He's able to create his own shot and has a scorer's mentality. There were times he disappeared last year but that might have been a function of how his leg was feeling, I don't know. But there were plenty of games where he was among our scoring leaders and he ended the season as our third leading scorer overall at just under 9 ppg. That should go up to probably double figures, I would think. If Gallegos can beat that, then we at least have a couple of guys in the back court who can put the biscuit in the basket. And, who knows, that might open things up in the middle for Brandon Ubel who was just under 7 ppg last year.

Having said all that, I still think odds are Talley is the guy.

The LJS article references that Parker's job is to kick it to our shooters, or penetrate and drop it to Dre and Brandon. The first person mentioned was Gallegos. I believe Gallegos will be counted on with Talley as our go to players. We need Gallegos to shoot a high percentage and shoot often...sounds simple enough.

I'm sure that's a big part of it, but I'm not sure he's that great a player either. Someone else would have taken a chance on him if he was a high level player. Hope he proves me wrong.

Assuming he's built upon what I saw of him when he was at Central, he'll be the most talented player to come through these parts in a long time. Kid can play.

I think Ubel's the MVP, hands down. But he's going to be busy doing everything else to win games and scoring won't be the highest priority (but it will still be a big deal for him). Talley's only game is scoring. Almeida won't play enough minutes, and the wild card is Gallegos, who has the talent to score but only that. I figure you have to go with the person who has actually scored on good teams, and that's Talley. I just don't see Gallegos as having made a quantum leap in gameplay since his last appearance.