uneblinstu's post game chatter: vol 6, ed 2 - FGCU, PBA Opener!

uneblinstu

A fun time had by all. Now I am not going to get too high because sometime this year we will lay an egg and it will be toooo low.

Liked what I saw, good hustle and the energy was great. Can't think on any thing that was a negative.

We just Need to keep it up and build on this.

I guess the only negative was that I thought FGCU looked uninterested at times tonight. I think they may have been stunned by how good we were.

Can't wait for more.

That was a lot of fun to watch. I was optimistically expecting a win but not this way.  I finally gave in to the wife when we were up 70-40 to finish the end of the Oregon-GT game paused on the other tuner. Switched back once Oregon finished so I could see the finish and hear Coach Miles' post-game BTN interview.

It is so obvious how hard these guys worked in the offseason. They were really having fun playing team basketball. 

Benny won't get as many minutes as he did last year but if he plays like he did tonight he will provide a valuable spark off the bench.

Liked what I saw from Smith inside. Wish I would have seen what Walt can do around the rim. I'm sure that will happen soon, though.

Shavon is amazing. Love how confident he looks and it's great that he will be going to the line a lot this season.

Tai just looked so smooth, like everything he did was effortless. One bad cross court pass on a drive to the bucket but other than that, I was very impressed.

Haven't see it anywhere else, so I will be the first to say it, this is an NCAA tournament team. 

Shavon and Tai are as good as anyone at their positons in the Big 10.  And NU has a ton of fantastic support players.  They will give a lot of teams a lot of problems.

I don't know what a few others of you are talking about, the mixing (Tommy Lee) was the coolest thing of everything they did pregame.  Very cool.

During the Bon Jovi introduction my teenage daughter turned to me and asked, "Who's Bon Jovi?"  Then she said, "He's not cool."

I didn't mind the Bon Jovi intro.  And even if it isn't cool it is not a distraction as the lead-in to the players coming on the court at the five minute mark.  I'm good with it. 

My daughter did approve, however, of the music played throughout the game.  She said all her favorite songs were played. 

Still wish we would see the drumline during player introductions.  That was the coolest thing done last year. 

I didn't mind most of how the game was called.  It should open things up and allow for more scoring over time.

But can you no longer take a charge?  Don't like this at all.  Noted 3-4 times where Shavon went barreling into the lane and ran into guys who were already there and set.  No one charge called.  What's up with that?  Can you really do that now?

One huge gripe - With all the state of the art technology why is there nowhere I can look to see rebounds and assists for individual players?  If they could do this at the Bob surely they can do this at the PBA.  Very aggravating.

In order to take a charge as a secondary defender, you now must have your position set before the offensive player begins his shooting motion (i.e. when the hands start going up; I'm not certain how it is interpreted if it turns into a pass, not a shot - I imagine it is still a charge).  This is a change from the way the rule was interpreted in previous years which only required the defensive position to be established before the offensive player left the floor.  It allowed for a secondary defender to run over and essentially jump in front of the opponent driving with the ball.  I actually like the change as, in my opinion, there were far too many charges being called in years past.

There was a charge (correctly) called in the Oregon-Georgetown game so they do still exist.

Good game by all. I am much more optimistic about this year's outcomes.  Still will be rough at times, but that was a really solid effort on all fronts.

As a question: I was impressed by Webster, but it seemed like in the last three minutes or so, he was really forcing some stuff, as if he wanted to make up for the minutes he was out due to foul trouble.  Anybody else think this?  

I know some don't think that Peltz will see the floor much and he might not. But he also came in and man-handled a guy that had at least 8 inches on him.

He will come in as a enforcer not a typical guard. He might go a few games with out playing and then bang there he is.

And I truly think he understands and embraces that. Some guys know they won't be the show and can handle that, Mike is one of those guys. And that kind of guy is much needed on a good team.

Nothing wrong with Fuller asking that question. Shows maturity.

True, but it seems a little odd that that a decision like that would be made during the game, if that was the case.  

Miles force his hand?  Clear early in the second half that we had a comfortable lead, could have put Fuller in at any time.  Miles controls PT- Fuller must have got the hint.

Don't have much more to add than what has already been said.  PBA was very nice and the team was even better.  Quick thoughts on players:

Shields - Great game from Shavon.  Hard to put up a better line than Shavon did last night.

Petteway - Funky outside shot, but the guy can get to the rack and he's versatile.

Pitchford - Great to see him knock down those early 3's.  Thought he did okay on defense in the post and rebounded well.

Webster - Very smooth and in control.  As others have said, he has great court awareness.  Love the dish to Rivers for the dunk.

Rivers - Continues to improve as a player.  If he can stop hand checking and stay out of foul trouble, he'll be even more valuable.

Smith - Even though his shot wasn't dropping for him,  I like what he brings to the table.  Seems pretty skilled overall and will be much needed in conference play.

Parker - Played a great game.  I do think he will have a hard time getting minutes once Gallegos and Biggs return, but he should have a roll going forward.

Regarding the officiating changes, I like the no hand checking, but not quite sure on the block/charge call.  Guys are going to have to stop trying to take charges and attempt to block the shot, otherwise it's an automatic trip to the free throw line.

Great start to the season and can't wait for the next game!!!

Coming into the season, I thought it would be very hard to replace Talley.  He controlled the end of games last season when needed pts.  I wasn't sure we had that option on this team.  Webster should be able to more than handle himself and will bring a little more with the pass option too.  We should be as good as last year and hopefully can pick up a few more games.  I hope the one big away won't haunt us in the games against the real good teams.   Smith is really going to be needed to rebound well if Pitchford is hanging out in 3 pt land.  I'd really like to see some post action with Pitchford, but I don't think that is him game.  Hopefully Smith has some game there.  I'm really looking forward to what Biggs can bring to the table too.  If he can exceed expectations, we may be in for a special season. 

I figured we would blow them out; up 30 was a little more than I expected.  The team looks athletic enough to compete in the middle of the Big 10.  I'm so happy Miles didn't run off Benny Parker like a few guys on here wanted.  Keeping consistency on the roster will continue to be important.

The arena sort of looked strange on TV.  I think it was mainly the wall that had nothing on it.  Seems it should at least have a box score.

I like the new reffing.  It actually forces guys to play defense.  It still will take awhile for players to adjust but at least it won't look like NBA 2000 anymore.  Wouldn't mind seeing defensive 3 seconds.  Certainly want to see the shot clock down to 24 seconds along with 8 seconds to cross half court.

I know some don't think that Peltz will see the floor much and he might not. But he also came in and man-handled a guy that had at least 8 inches on him.

He will come in as a enforcer not a typical guard. He might go a few games with out playing and then bang there he is.

And I truly think he understands and embraces that. Some guys know they won't be the show and can handle that, Mike is one of those guys. And that kind of guy is much needed on a good team.

We may not be favored in every game... but we will be favored in every street fight this year :)

...and oh by the way...props to the students tonight!

This can absolutely not be overstated.  Great job by the students.

Also, kudos, to whoever's idea it was to make the fathead of Andy Enfield.  That.  Was.  Epic!  Accounted for at least three missed free throws.  :D

Keep it up, students!