2013-2014 KenPom Rankings Thread

HuskerActuary

Oh, so close to overtaking Purdue!  If we were to manage somehow to pull off the upset against UMass, we might just get there!  Couple of observations this morning, first, Ohio State has pulled into the top spot in the B1G and Minnesota has made sneaky progress already in this young season.  Northwestern and Penn State have basically flipped spots, and finally, the Charleston Classic is looking a little less daunting (KenPom wise) than it did just a few days ago.  

And so, here we are.

Kenpom rankings as of 11-18-13.
==============================

B1G (0-0):
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan State

13. Wisconsin
18. Minnesota
21. Michigan
22. Iowa
31. Indiana
34. Illinois
67. Purdue
69. Nebraska
93. Penn State

110. Northwestern

Non-Conference (3-0):
148. Florida Gulf Coast - W
271. Western Illinois - W
342. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
45. UMass
23./95. New Mexico/UAB
53./152./114./123. Clemson/Davidson/Georgia/Temple

335. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
122. Miami

16. @Creighton
217. Arkansas State
336. The Citadel
35. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:
59. Maryland (1-2)
131. Rutgers (2-1)
241. Omaha (2-2)

My hopes of bypassing Minnesota after their coaching change seem to be dwindling.

Minnesota was in the KenPom top 20 last year too, before they collapsed in conference play.  So there's still a chance.

Just looking at the numbers you can see their style is more Pitino-ey but are they still the same squad that can't win a B1G road game?  If they win the Maui Invitational, then you should be concerned.

I am loving seeing all the B10 teams in the top 35.  I always cheer for the B10 outside of conference play.  The better the conference is, the better it is for NU.  Especially if we can win some games.

Our OOC schedule is very solid too. I am so jacked for this UMASS game on Thursday.  A good test for this team.  I am really, really hoping we can beat them and face New Mexico to kind of gauge where this young team is.  Then we still have games with Miami, CU and Cincy.  If we can win a good amount of these games we will have a pretty solid RPI heading into the conference season.  And with so many good B10 teams, we really wouldn't drop much in losses and have a ton of room to go up with wins. 

I haven't been this excited about NU hoops since the 90's with Danny Nee.  And I was just telling a buddy at the game yesterday that we actually kind of resemble that type of team.  The nice thing is so many of our guys are young.  Still going to be a roller coaster of a season I'm sure....but I'm excited to see how it all goes down.

Oh, so close to overtaking Purdue!  If we were to manage somehow to pull off the upset against UMass, we might just get there!  Couple of observations this morning, first, Ohio State has pulled into the top spot in the B1G and Minnesota has made sneaky progress already in this young season.  Northwestern and Penn State have basically flipped spots, and finally, the Charleston Classic is looking a little less daunting (KenPom wise) than it did just a few days ago.  

And so, here we are.

Kenpom rankings as of 11-18-13.

B1G (0-0):

2. Ohio State

3. Michigan State

13. Wisconsin

18. Minnesota

21. Michigan

22. Iowa

31. Indiana

34. Illinois

67. Purdue

69. Nebraska

93. Penn State

110. Northwestern

Non-Conference (3-0):

342. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---

45. UMass

23./95. New Mexico/UAB

53./152./114./123. Clemson/Davidson/Georgia/Temple

335. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---

122. Miami

16. @Creighton

217. Arkansas State

336. The Citadel

35. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:

59. Maryland (1-2)

131. Rutgers (2-1)

241. Omaha (2-2)

Good Ol' 69

ACHINGLY close to moving ahead of Purdue.  Here is your pre-Charleston KenPom rankings:

Kenpom rankings as of 11-20-13.

B1G (0-0):
2. Ohio State
6. Michigan State
17. Wisconsin
18. Michigan
19. Iowa
22. Minnesota
33. Indiana
35. Illinois
69. Purdue
70. Nebraska
87. Penn State
109. Northwestern

Non-Conference (3-0):
146. Florida Gulf Coast - W
344. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
47. UMass
21./94. New Mexico/UAB
56./152./116./125. Clemson/Davidson/Georgia/Temple

336. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
86. Miami

15. @Creighton
225. Arkansas State
338. The Citadel
34. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:
61. Maryland (1-2)
134. Rutgers (3-2)
231. Omaha (3-2)

My hopes of bypassing Minnesota after their coaching change seem to be dwindling.

Minnesota was in the KenPom top 20 last year too, before they collapsed in conference play.  So there's still a chance.

Just looking at the numbers you can see their style is more Pitino-ey but are they still the same squad that can't win a B1G road game?  If they win the Maui Invitational, then you should be concerned.

Richard runs an offensive style more like Billy Donovan's than his dad's but he gets his defensive style from his dad. Keep in mind Rick made Richard earn his way through the ranks by working at different schools. Granted I am sure who his dad is played a part in getting those jobs. He has worked at Providence, College of Charleston, Duquesne, Florida, Louisville, then FIU as head coach and now Minnesota. 

Richard runs an offensive style more like Billy Donovan's than his dad's but he gets his defensive style from his dad. Keep in mind Rick made Richard earn his way through the ranks by working at different schools. Granted I am sure who his dad is played a part in getting those jobs. He has worked at Providence, College of Charleston, Duquesne, Florida, Louisville, then FIU as head coach and now Minnesota. 

How would you compare his style vs Tubby's?

Okay, that first loss always hurts just a little more, I guess.  Now it's out of the way and we move on.  Minnesota continues its rise through the KenPom, and we are still an easy distance away from Purdue for 9th.

Kenpom rankings as of 11-22-13.

B1G (0-0):
4. Ohio State
6. Michigan State
12. Michigan
16. Wisconsin
18. Iowa
20. Minnesota
29. Indiana
37. Illinois
64. Purdue
74. Nebraska
87. Northwestern

91. Penn State

Non-Conference (3-1):
277. Western Illinois - W
345. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
47. UMass - L
90. UAB
154./146. Georgia/Temple

334. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
107. Miami

14. @Creighton
230. Arkansas State
341. The Citadel
38. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:
62. Maryland (1-2)
134. Rutgers (3-2)
218. Omaha (3-2)

I didn't even want to do this today, but after I did I suppose I feel a little better.  It's my catharsis I guess.

Anyway, we slide back into 11th in the B1G order and Purdue looks like a loooong way away today.  Funny what a couple days can do.  UMass has now replaced Cincinnati as our 2nd highest rated non-con opponent.

Kenpom rankings as of 11-23-13.

B1G (0-0):
4. Ohio State
5. Michigan State
14. Michigan
15. Wisconsin
16. Iowa
18. Minnesota
29. Indiana
33. Illinois
65. Purdue
87. Penn State

93. Nebraska
113. Northwestern

Non-Conference (3-2):
150. Florida Gulf Coast - W
275. Western Illinois - W

---Charleston Classic---
31. UMass - L
70. UAB - L
166. Georgia

334. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
112. Miami

13. @Creighton
229. Arkansas State
341. The Citadel
40. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:
54. Maryland (2-2)
129. Rutgers (3-2)
221. Omaha (3-2)

Is Iowa really #13?  Wow.   Anyway, we salvaged the trip to Charleston with a much needed slump buster of a win against #175 Georgia.  Now it's time to come back home and get the next two W's so we can head in to Omaha at 6-2.  Here is today's KenPom update:

Kenpom rankings as of 11-25-13.

B1G (0-0):
4. Michigan State
5. Ohio State
13. Iowa
14. Wisconsin
17. Minnesota
21. Michigan
29. Illinois
31. Indiana
69. Purdue
79. Penn State

91. Nebraska
117. Northwestern

Non-Conference (4-2):
167. Florida Gulf Coast - W
273. Western Illinois - W

---Charleston Classic---
26. UMass - L
111. UAB - L
175. Georgia - W

331. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
112. Miami

18. @Creighton
213. Arkansas State
340. The Citadel
41. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:
48. Maryland (3-2)
180. Rutgers (3-3)
215. Omaha (3-3)

Is Iowa really #13?  Wow. 

No better way to prepare possibly the best team you've put together than by lining them up with the 347th hardest schedule in the NCAA!

Right?  I guess that's Fran's MO.  Create the most pillow-soft non con schedule possible and hope your guys can sneak out enough conference wins to make the post season.

I'm glad he's not our coach.