2013-2014 KenPom Rankings Thread

HuskerActuary

@Norm: his system doesn't. No rpi system does because it's a straight data cruncher with consistent rules and no "date" weights.

that said, we need to worry about the committees system, not Pomeroys.

I have gotten one thing wrong this week apparently. The CM Newton days of the committee are over, I guess. They used to care quite a bit about how teams did near the end of the season--it was a significant tie breaker for a lot of bids. But apparently that's supposed to no longer be the case.

Personally, I'm not sure how hot finishes can be ignored during selection. But if it is ignored, then our resume isn't quite as strong as it otherwise should be, which also explains why Iowa is getting the pass it is getting right now.

True, Last 10 games is not used by the committee anymore. However, they do discuss things and they are human and certainly comments like "Nebraska has been one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the Big Ten over the last month and a half" will be uttered, and that will have some value in people's minds.

Wow, that is really interesting.   I have never really followed the selection process  much.   But your recent success or lake thereof is not factored in anymore ?  That seems to totally lack common sense.  Anyone know when this changed and the rational behind it?

lang, I believe it's only been a couple years that the "hot finish" isn't officially categorized. As Aksker alluded to, the 'human element' of the committee will certainly take note of the Nebrasketball surge within one of the toughest conferences in college basketball.  I think their attempt is to account for an entire's season "body of work" and not emphasize or unduly reward those rollin' down the stretch as there may be another reason to parse out the injury situation(s) that will also be evaluated when it comes to bracketing & including certain teams over others.

I wasn't going to do one today, then I thought "what the hell", so....

Here is today's KenPom update:

Kenpom rankings as of 3-10-14.
==============================

B1G (11-7):
10. Wisconsin - W
11. Michigan - L, L

15. Michigan State - W

17. Ohio State - L, W, L

27. Iowa - L

47. Nebraska

55. Illinois - W, L

56. Minnesota - W

73. Indiana - W, W

83. Penn State - L, W

103. Purdue - L, W

136. Northwestern - W, W

Non-Conference (8-4):
178. Florida Gulf Coast - W
280. Western Illinois - W
344. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
51. UMass - L
156. UAB - L
69. Georgia - W

207. Northern Illinois - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
70. Miami - W

6. @Creighton - L
153. Arkansas State - W
345. The Citadel - W
25. @Cincinnati - L

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, one more update, post tourney.  We played 9 tournament teams (including Baylor) this year, compiling a 3-9 record against them.

And so, until next year, here is today's KenPom update:

Kenpom rankings as of 4-09-14.
==============================

NCAA Tourney (0-1):
25. Baylor (6) - L

B1G Tourney (0-1):
20. Ohio State (6) - L

B1G (11-7):
6. Wisconsin (2) - W

9. Michigan State (4) - W

10. Michigan (2) - L, L

20. Ohio State (6) - L, W

28. Iowa (11) - L

44. Nebraska (11)

48. Minnesota - W

49. Illinois - W, L

67. Indiana - W, W

82. Penn State - L, W

97. Purdue - L, W

131. Northwestern - W, W

Non-Conference (8-4):
171. Florida Gulf Coast - W
283. Western Illinois - W
345. South Carolina State - W

---Charleston Classic---
54. UMass (6) - L
156. UAB - L
72. Georgia - W

216. Northern Illinois - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
69. Miami - W

24. @Creighton (3) - L
168. Arkansas State - W
346. The Citadel - W
23. @Cincinnati (5) - L

(on a bit of a side note, 8-seed Colorado finished with a KenPom ranking of 77th, lowest of all non-automatic qualifiers as far as I can tell.  I thought that was somewhat interesting)

We'd only have to move up 5 spots to be in the 30s.  And we're returning the bulk of everything we did well.  I'm wondering if we don't start out high 20s or maybe low 30s.

The 10 teams above us in KenPom are as follows:

34. Louisiana Tech

35. Saint Louis

36. Stanford

37. Memphis

38. Dayton

39. Texas

40. Maryland

41. Florida St.

42. Utah

43. Kansas St.

Off the top of my head, I believe Utah and Texas are bringing most if not all of their rosters back.  I think Saint Louis, Dayton, Maryland and perhaps Memphis are losing much of their rosters from 2014.  Not sure about the rest.

I don't expect a whole lot of upward movement for Nebraska in the offseason.  But that's just my opinion.

Small, marginal differences will bump us up since the gap between 44 and 43 is relatively small.  So it won't take a big advantage in returning whatever statistics to swing the pendulum a long ways for us.

Just a quick look shows La Tech losing about half of its scoring and about 40% of its rebounding.

Saint Louis loses their top 4 scorers and 5 of their top 6, accounting for about 75% of their points.

Stanford, with 6 seniors, loses 3 double-figure scorers and about 70% of their offense.

Memphis also has 6 seniors and loses close to 60% of their scoring.

Dayton is relatively unscathed but still loses 3 seniors who kicked in about 40% of their scoring and 1/3 of their rebounding.

I didn't take a look at the rest of them but I suspect the picture will be similar for most other teams as well.

I think rare will be the team that played well without substantial contributions from departing players.