2015 Recruits

Row6Seat10

So, two probable top-10 classes in a row.  That is top notch.  That is Elite 8 talent right there.  With an equally good coaching staff.

You're absolutely right on the Elite 8 talent. Which makes in my opinion the 2016 class the most important class yet. If the Huskers can amass another top 10 class they could be considered Final 4 talent worthy.  

They need one truly dominant player at her position.  Good players at all spots but one girl who would be the best at her position and the best player on the floor in 29 out of 30 games or 30 out of 30.  It doesn't take a national POTY but probably at least a conference POTY and 1st team All-Am.  Short of that, you probably need two first-team all-conf type players and a supporting cast that has no deficiencies.

But, recruiting at this level could certainly produce that kind of talent and that kind of run. 

So, two probable top-10 classes in a row.  That is top notch.  That is Elite 8 talent right there.  With an equally good coaching staff.

You're absolutely right on the Elite 8 talent. Which makes in my opinion the 2016 class the most important class yet. If the Huskers can amass another top 10 class they could be considered Final 4 talent worthy.  

They need one truly dominant player at her position.  Good players at all spots but one girl who would be the best at her position and the best player on the floor in 29 out of 30 games or 30 out of 30.  It doesn't take a national POTY but probably at least a conference POTY and 1st team All-Am.  Short of that, you probably need two first-team all-conf type players and a supporting cast that has no deficiencies.

But, recruiting at this level could certainly produce that kind of talent and that kind of run. 

Could Shepard fit that mold of best player at her position ?

How NU does in games this coming season, will help determine, the nature of the 2016 recruiting class.

We win like last year, and maybe win the BIG and/or tourney, and end up in the Top 15 ranked, and the next few recruiting classes could be extreemly good.  Those are some big hurdles to clear though.

One of the keys to the next few seasons will be how the 2014 recruiting class develops. We lose 4 starters after this coming season, so the pressure will be on, to be ready, and competive for the 2015 season. That's only one year to develope.

Shepard coming aboard in 2015 will probably be an automatic starter....but it could take a part of the season to learn Yoris plan for her, and get into the flow of the rest of the team. The other incoming 2015 kids will have no experience at the college level.

Kind of looks like this current squad is pretty well set, in terms of very substantial experience playing together, and very good freshman to add to the mix.

But 2015 wiil be a different story...lots of new blood and a fairly inexpericed squad...even though they have tremendous potential.

Going to be interesting :D

Yes shepard at some point in her career could be the best 4 in the country. she is that good. if she develops and stays healthy she is certainly good enough to compete for a conf. player of the year award.  She is special.

That said, I get concerned how easy it is for us as fans to fall in love with the rankings.  We have some very very good young prospects, but the reality is they are merely prospects until they prove it at the college level. Odds are some the kids the board is counting on won't ever be great, and may never play a lot.  Additionally, there may be a kid or two in the 14 and 15 classes that are under the radar to the fans currently, but could end up playing meaningful roles for the huskers. 

Redsteve is correct, we will be very young next year with 10 players that are freshman or soph assuming nobody transfers. There will be growing pains for the fans, and growing pains for the kids.  Reality is no team in America plays more than 8 or 9 kids many minutes after the first few games. Thus 5-6 of the kids on the roster won't play a ton this years.  just part of big time college basketball.

There was an article in the LJS a couple of days ago about the talent coming up the ranks in girls hoops in NE in the next couple of years.  Like the 15U team or the 16U team that did really, really well.  (I think it was 15U.)  Could be a couple of high majors in that group from what I understand.  It's nice when you have some homegrown talent that can augment your recruiting efforts.

I think this is the article.  I guess some of the girls are at Lincoln Christian. 

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/basketball/girls/prep-girls-basketball-young-talent-shined-at-summer-tournaments/article_7caf8f6f-1798-526d-a30c-efa7edce867a.html

I have seen Payton Brotzki play when she was younger, but not recently.  As a 6th and 7th grader she definitely stood out.

I read an article this summer (can't recall what newspaper, may have been OWH) where Taylor Kissinger said she would probably be playing point guard for Minden this winter.  Could be a bit more challenging of a year for her since her sisters have graduated and she will take over handling the ball.  I'm not sure what other teams are Minden's conference, but I think the better class C teams will be in the eastern part of the state (Louisville, Lincoln Christian, and is Platteview in C1 or did they move up to B?).

Not sure about Platteview's class either.

Minden has another tall girl like 6'2 (her name escapes me now) that will be a senior this season who has played significant minutes since her freshman year. They're in the Southwest Conference with, Cozad, Valentine, Ainsworth, Ogallala, Broken Bow and Gothenburg. From what I could gather their arch rivals are Holdrege, Kearney Catholic and Grand Island CC. I think they play Adams Central, St Paul, and Lexington quite a bit also.

I also heard Rachel Tucker from Pierce committed to Wyoming a few weeks ago.

The ASGR 2015 recruiting rankings have been shuffled since last week all ready.

The Huskers have now moved up to #5.

There are six Big Ten conference teams now in the top 25, Penn State and Michigan have jumped into the mix. The number in parenthesis is what this recruiting service has in their records as to how many recruits are committed to each school. As for Nebraska only having 3, ASGR hasn't taken into account that Maddie Simon has given a verbal to the Huskers yet.   

1- Connecticut (4) 

2-Tennessee (3) 

3- Texas (2)

4- Notre Dame (2) 

5- Nebraska (3) 

6- Kentucky (4) 

7- UCLA (2) 

8- Baylor (3)

9- Duke (3) 

10- Louisville (2) 

11-Maryland (2)

12- California (3) 

13- Missouri (2) 

14- Penn State (2)

15- Iowa State (3) 

16- Purdue (3)

17- Wake Forest (3)

18- Arkansas (3) 

19- Alabama (4)

20- Michigan State (2)

21- Georgia Tech (2) 

22- Colorado (4) 

23- Michigan (5)

24- NC State (4) 

25- Virginia Tech (4)

• 4 weeks later...

In the same article there is a write up on Jessica Shepard and what she expects from her senior season.

Jessica Shepard, a 6-4 forward at Fremont (Nebraska) and the third-ranked prospect in the 2015 class, can't wait to get to college. She has long been committed to Nebraska and is eager to be tested at a higher level.

"It feels like senior year took forever to get here, especially since I committed so early," Shepard said. "Now that senior year is here, it's my last chance for high school basketball, and I want to make the most of it."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11501322/why-senior-season-special-seven-elite-recruits

edited to point out that cbolte posted the same article in the Jess Shepard thread.

I actually think the staff have set their sights on the 2016 class and is all set for the 2015 class to dot their i's and cross their t's on their loi's in November. Baring any last minute additions to the '15 class that we haven't heard about, I believe it looks as if we can put the 2015 recruiting big board to bed and call it a major success. With the Teniya Page commitment last week to Penn St all '15 prospects on our big board have given their verbals with the exception of Arike Ogunbowle. And as most know the Huskers didn't make her final list.

Would have really liked to have seen home grown product Kianna Ibis in red next year but that boat came and sailed. But, the long awaited time that we've all been salivating over is about to come to fruition with the signing of Jessica. Also we anxiously await the next sister act to play together since the Kubik's at NU in the Page girls from Kansas! Plus the fact we got what most experts are considering one of the top recruiting classes ever to sign with the Husker wbb program! Excitement abounds as most of us can't wait to see what these new four will add to the mix next year. 

Now after the signing day I'm sure some of the various recruiting sights will rank the recruiting classes so we'll have to add the Huskers rankings to this thread when they come out. And possibly any update on one of the new signees should it occur.

As was last year I want to thank each and everyone who has participated in the discussion and helped make it better and become another entertaining and informative thread. It's threads like this one that make this the best college wbb forum in the land. And I encourage everyone's continued participation as we set our sights ahead unto the 2016 class.

I especially would like to thank dlrrk for his valuable contributions and insight with the recruitment of his daughter Rachel!................Much appreciated Colonel!!

The Prospects Nation girls recruiting site put out their early ranking for the top twenty-five 2015 recruiting classes today, and the Huskers come in sitting at a modest #6. They haven't taken into account that the Huskers have 4 recruits yet as they've omitted Maddie Simon from their list.  Right now it looks like a good recruiting year for quite a few B1G teams which I've noted in bold print below. The number after the team is how many recruits that school has committed according to Prospect Nation.

http://www.prospectsnation.com/2015-class-rankings-september-24

1. Louisville - 5

2. UConn - 3

3. Duke - 4

4. Texas - 2

5. Notre Dame - 2

6. Nebraska - 3

7. Kentucky - 4

8. Penn St - 3

9. Maryland - 2

10. Tennessee - 2

11. Michigan - 4

12. California - 3

13. Purdue - 3

14. UCLA - 2

15. Missouri - 2

16. Wake Forest - 3

17. Iowa St - 3

18. Michigan St. - 3

19. Colorado - 3

20. Kansas - 3

21. North Carolina St - 6

22. Pittsburgh - 3

23. Georgia Tech - 3

24. Princeton - 3

25. Alabama - 2

• 5 weeks later...

The Prospects Nation girls recruiting site put out their early ranking for the top twenty-five 2015 recruiting classes today, and the Huskers come in sitting at a modest #6. They haven't taken into account that the Huskers have 4 recruits yet as they've omitted Maddie Simon from their list.  Right now it looks like a good recruiting year for quite a few B1G teams which I've noted in bold print below. The number after the team is how many recruits that school has committed according to Prospect Nation.

http://www.prospects...gs-september-24

1. Louisville - 5

2. UConn - 3

3. Duke - 4

4. Texas - 2

5. Notre Dame - 2

6. Nebraska - 3

7. Kentucky - 4

8. Penn St - 3

9. Maryland - 2

10. Tennessee - 2

11. Michigan - 4

12. California - 3

13. Purdue - 3

14. UCLA - 2

15. Missouri - 2

16. Wake Forest - 3

17. Iowa St - 3

18. Michigan St. - 3

19. Colorado - 3

20. Kansas - 3

21. North Carolina St - 6

22. Pittsburgh - 3

23. Georgia Tech - 3

24. Princeton - 3

25. Alabama -2

So will Simon get added ? Or will it stay the same...6th. (didn't see Simon listed on their overall list (unless I missed it))...but she's been on other recruitment lists.

Simion would make all 4 of the recruits over 6-1 (and she looks taller than 6-1 in person)

Man ..what a class !!

ESPN Hoopgurlz has released their top twenty 2015 recruiting classes. And the Huskers sit at #8. There could be a few shake ups after signing day.

Purdue is one ahead of us at #7. Maryland sits at #10, Penn St. #11, Michigan #15 and Iowa #18. Looks like the next 4 years plus will be some good ones in the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings?class=2015

The number following the school is the number of recruits they have.

1. Louisville 5

2. UConn 3

3. Duke 4

4. Texas 3

5. Notre Dame 3

6. North Carolina 3

7. Purdue 4

8. Nebraska 4

9. UCLA 2

10. Maryland 2

11. Penn State 4

12. Tennessee 2
13. Kentucky 4

14. Baylor 3

15. Michigan 5

16. North Carolina State 5

17. California 4

18. Iowa 4

19. Kansas 4

20. Virginia Tech 3

All Star Girls Report released their top 35 2015 recruiting classes today. And in this ranking the Huskers are the highest ranked Big Ten team coming in at #7. They have Jessica Shepard ranked #5, Lanie Page #68 and Rachel Blackburn at #81.

The top class in the Big Ten belongs to Nebraska, with the Cornhuskers falling at No. 7 nationally.

“This is a very good class with good size,” McCormick said. “Jess Shepard is a phenomenal all-around player. At 6-3, she can do it all. She should be a starter from Day One.”

http://www.asgrevents.com/top-350-for-the-class-of-2015/

1. UConn                                            18. Purdue

2. Louisville                                        19. Iowa St

3. Notre Dame                                    20. Wake Forest

4. Tennesse                                       21. Michigan St

5. Duke                                               22. Ohio St

6. Texas                                              23. Michigan

7. Nebraska                                      24. North Carolina St

8. Baylor                                             25. Georgia Tech

9. Penn St                                          26. West Virginia

10. Maryland                                      27. Alabama

11. UCLA                                             28. Colorado