Predicting the 2012-2013 Season. Wins and losses

BjoeHusker

There are a couple of questions that need to be asked that might change how we do this year. Is Biggs going to play or not? At practice he is running with what I see as the top group....but will he end up playing or not? Will Andre be able to make it through the year with his knee? He is a HUGE key in the middle...also...how much will he play? There isn't much depth in the middle. How will the youngster Shields play? Will he or David Rivers step up and give Coach Miles quality minutes? How many of the group of Menke, Kirkowski, Tyrance, etc..have to play? Take nothing away from those guys but it could be an issue if we have to rely on them for too many minutes. I'm going to say 8-5 and 5-13 with a first round loss in the B10 tournament. 13-19 overall. Then we continue to recruit and add the transfers and build from there. My concern is with scoring and getting enough of it. I think they will hang in there on the defensive end. Injuries to our team and to other teams could impact and having or not having Biggs at PG changes a lot. He is clearly our best option there. Now...if we get it rolling a little on the offensive end of the floor I would be willing to go to 16-16, which would be pretty darn good for a program in major transition. GBR!

Southern- WIN 1-0

Valparaiso- LOSS 1-1

Nebr- Omaha- WIN 2-1

Tulane- WIN 3-1

Kent St- WIn 4-1

Wake Forest- LOSS 4-2

USC- WIN 5-2

Creighton- LOSS 5-3

Oregon- LOSS 5-4

Jack St- WIN 6-4

Central MIch- WIN 7-4

UTEP/APB- WIN 8-4

Nicholls St- WIN 9-4

Ohio St.- LOSS 9-5 (0-1)

Wisconsin- LOSS 9-6 (0-2)

MIchigan- LOSS 9-7 (0-3)

MIch St- LOSS 9-8 (0-4)

Purdue- WIN 10-8 (1-4)

Penn St- WIN 11-8 (2-4)

Illinois- WIN 12-8 (3-4)

Northwestern LOSS 12-9 (3-5)

Minnesota WIN 13-9 (4-5)

Ohio St- LOSS 13-10 (4-6)

Penn St- WIN 14-10 (5-6)

Indiana- LOSS 14-11 (5-7)

Michigan St- WIN 15-11 (6-7) OUR ONE UPSET OF THE YEAR

Iowa- LOSS 15-12 (6-8)

Wisconisn- LOSS 15-13 (6-9)

Illinois- LOSS 15-14 (6-10)

Minnesota- WIN 16-14 (7-10)

Iowa- WIN 17-14 (8-10)

BTN TOURNEY LOSS 17-15 (8-11)

Final: 17-15 (8-11)

Southern- WIN 1-0

Valparaiso- LOSS 1-1

Nebr- Omaha- WIN 2-1

Tulane- WIN 3-1

Kent St- WIn 4-1

Wake Forest- LOSS 4-2

USC- WIN 5-2

Creighton- LOSS 5-3

Oregon- LOSS 5-4

Jack St- WIN 6-4

Central MIch- WIN 7-4

UTEP/APB- WIN 8-4

Nicholls St- WIN 9-4

Ohio St.- LOSS 9-5 (0-1)

Wisconsin- LOSS 9-6 (0-2)

MIchigan- LOSS 9-7 (0-3)

MIch St- LOSS 9-8 (0-4)

Purdue- WIN 10-8 (1-4)

Penn St- WIN 11-8 (2-4)

Illinois- WIN 12-8 (3-4)

Northwestern LOSS 12-9 (3-5)

Minnesota WIN 13-9 (4-5)

Ohio St- LOSS 13-10 (4-6)

Penn St- WIN 14-10 (5-6)

Indiana- LOSS 14-11 (5-7)

Michigan St- WIN 15-11 (6-7) OUR ONE UPSET OF THE YEAR

Iowa- LOSS 15-12 (6-8)

Wisconisn- LOSS 15-13 (6-9)

Illinois- LOSS 15-14 (6-10)

Minnesota- WIN 16-14 (7-10)

Iowa- WIN 17-14 (8-10)

BTN TOURNEY LOSS 17-15 (8-11)

Final: 17-15 (8-11)

We're going to sweep the Golden Gophers? Either your "ON" somethin' or your on to somethin'.

We're going to sweep the Golden Gophers? Either your "ON" somethin' or your on to somethin'.

HAHA... i can assure you i am not "ON" something, so hopefully i am on to something. I just believe that this team has absolutely no pressure on them to be real successful this year, and from my experience, those teams can actually play a whole heck of a lot better then those with higher expectations( much like last years Nebraska team).

I cannot even begin to speculate how the team will fare. I just want a team that plays hard and shows some improvement as the year progresses. I'm trying to think where the 4 wins would come in the B1G. Can't seem to picture them, help me with this.

Illinois, Northwestern, Penn St. and the yearly upset. Maybe over someone like Iowa, too.

If you offered me a winning record today, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Not sure how many total games we play with the tournaments, etc., but if you said "I'll give you 16-15 or you can take whatever's behind door #3" I'd take 16-15 because I think the chances are very remote that we would do better than that. Heck, I think I'd be happy if we win 12 games. And if we win 14, I'll be thrilled. Sixteen or better and I'm ecstatic.

I think a few months ago, when some were predicting a win total somewhere in the single digits, I was thinking people were underestimating this team. We might be bad, but we're not THAT bad. Now, when I see some people predicting NIT appearances, I think something has swung the other direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if we meet or exceed the record from last year. Last year's team had more talent but they experienced the opposite of synergy where the whole was significantly less than the sum of the parts and I think that had to do with just some strange team-wide funk and lack of chemistry of some sort. Perhaps kids too worried they were playing for their coach's job or soemthing but that team was a whole lot worse than the talent would have dictated.

This year, the talent isn't as good but the indications are that the chemistry is. Having a new coach generates some energy and enthusiasm. That can sometimes allow the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts. And if a couple of the newcomers can actually live up to the hype, which is what the word has been, then we might not be that much less talented than a year ago.

We'll see. I think people predicting doom and gloom are wrong but I'm not yet ready to jump on the idea that we'll reach post-season play either. (Now, please Huskers, go prove me wrong.)

If we win 15 games this year with this group then Coach Miles should be a COY candidate.

I predict 7 non-con wins and 4 con wins.

Ron, I'm about right where you are sir. I just have a hard time seeing this team winning many games this year. I would love to see 7-8 non-con wins and 3-5 conference wins. I just don't see how we win many games as we have very little experience and offense. I'm hoping Miles can somehow get these guys to buy in and at least make games respectable and maybe we "sneak" a few wins out.

Whatever happens, I'm very happy with the hire of Miles and I like what he has done from the attention standpoint this past season. If he can build on that, get some nice pieces in place I think in 2-3 years we have a shot to dance again.