"6-3 ¼ in shoes"

Swan88

We now have it official: Tai "was measured upon arrival at 6-3 ¼ in shoes."  So says the Omaha World Herald this a.m.  Here is a link to the article.

We now have it official: Tai "was measured upon arrival at 6-3 ¼ in shoes."  So says the Omaha World Herald this a.m.  Here is a link to the article.

Can it be "official" without Rosenthal tweeting it?    Can't remember if that's a rule or a guideline.....

On a less frivolous note, what do y'all think about this blurb from the article:

"Webster also sounded in a hurry to advance his basketball career. He hedged on whether he’ll use all four seasons of eligibility at NU. 'The dream would be to go to the League (NBA) as early as possible,' he said. 'But whatever is best for my career ... what’s going to make me the best player and get me to where I want to go.'"

On a less frivolous note, what do y'all think about this blurb from the article:

"Webster also sounded in a hurry to advance his basketball career. He hedged on whether he’ll use all four seasons of eligibility at NU. 'The dream would be to go to the League (NBA) as early as possible,' he said. 'But whatever is best for my career ... what’s going to make me the best player and get me to where I want to go.'"

He also said that he was surprised the type of athlete we have. I think he is going to be very good, but he might be in for a bit of a rude awaking when he starts to play against some top teams game in and game out.

I see him as maybe leaving early but not a one and done. If he is, then I do think some magician things will happen this year.

FYI, coach Harriman on Sports Nightly tonight said Tai measured in at 6'3 3/4".

Harriman said on the radio today that he measured "close to 6'4".  Based on these two statements, I would guess that they are going to "list" him as 6'4" on the official roster. 

Of course, we all know he isn't really 6'4".  I have no idea why they measure them in shoes, and Tai himself said he measured 6'3 1/4 in shoes, but on a relative scale, it says a lot.  The fact is that ALL teams fib regarding their players height.  So, it is all relative at this point.  Even though we know a listed height of 6'4" isn't actually accurate, it is accurate in the sense of how he relates to other players on the court with him and against him.  In this sense, he is a very good sized PG to have.  And I think that is why Miles and the staff are so high on him.  Miles has shown that he likes height in all his players, including his PG. This is why he put Talley in at PG last year.   If another team has a wing listed at 6'5", Tai should be able to guard him on a switch (stength aside) because most likely that wing listed at 6'5" is actually only 6'3".  Again, it is all relative to the scale that all NCAA BB teams have set.  Plus, based on the picture of Tai "smiling", he looks quite long and his hands are huge.  This extended reach should allow him to play a legit 6'4" even if he is not.  (As a side note, I watched a documentary on Dr. J a few weeks ago and everyone that played with him or agaisnt him constantly referred to his huge hands and how lethal this made him on the court.  I don't think Tai has Dr. J hands, but his extra grip will certainly help him when he is driving to the basket and making plays.)

Harriman also said that they plan to have him play primarily PG.  I think we all suspected this, but it seems to be confirmed by the coaches--at least as of now.  If Tai can truly handle the ball and make plays, having a 6'4" PG for 3 or 4 years could be a huge advantage.  I hope he can knock down that outside shot, b/c that is what will make him be the complete player we need (that, and playing good defense, which will definitely be a challenge for him initially until he adapts to the speed and strength of the American players.)

Harriman said on the radio today that he measured "close to 6'4".  Based on these two statements, I would guess that they are going to "list" him as 6'4" on the official roster. 

Of course, we all know he isn't really 6'4".  I have no idea why they measure them in shoes, and Tai himself said he measured 6'3 1/4 in shoes, but on a relative scale, it says a lot.  The fact is that ALL teams fib regarding their players height.  So, it is all relative at this point.  Even though we know a listed height of 6'4" isn't actually accurate, it is accurate in the sense of how he relates to other players on the court with him and against him.  In this sense, he is a very good sized PG to have.  And I think that is why Miles and the staff are so high on him.  Miles has shown that he likes height in all his players, including his PG. This is why he put Talley in at PG last year.   If another team has a wing listed at 6'5", Tai should be able to guard him on a switch (stength aside) because most likely that wing listed at 6'5" is actually only 6'3".  Again, it is all relative to the scale that all NCAA BB teams have set.  Plus, based on the picture of Tai "smiling", he looks quite long and his hands are huge.  This extended reach should allow him to play a legit 6'4" even if he is not.  (As a side note, I watched a documentary on Dr. J a few weeks ago and everyone that played with him or agaisnt him constantly referred to his huge hands and how lethal this made him on the court.  I don't think Tai has Dr. J hands, but his extra grip will certainly help him when he is driving to the basket and making plays.)

Harriman also said that they plan to have him play primarily PG.  I think we all suspected this, but it seems to be confirmed by the coaches--at least as of now.  If Tai can truly handle the ball and make plays, having a 6'4" PG for 3 or 4 years could be a huge advantage.  I hope he can knock down that outside shot, b/c that is what will make him be the complete player we need (that, and playing good defense, which will definitely be a challenge for him initially until he adapts to the speed and strength of the American players.)

They measure them in shoes because they play in shoes. 

Why wouldn't they measure them that way?

Yeah, and besides, the program doesn't include measurements in the 1/8", 1/4", 1/2".  Typically the height is bumped up a bit to make a round number.  Even so, if it's rounded up some, what's the difference... The player still has to possess the strength, speed, quickness, lateral agility, vertical leaping ability & various other skills to go with that certain height to make it at this level.

His big hands, combined with his total length, will make him a serious difference maker defensively via deflections (very underrated stat IMO).

Harriman said on the radio today that he measured "close to 6'4". Based on these two statements, I would guess that they are going to "list" him as 6'4" on the official roster.

Of course, we all know he isn't really 6'4". I have no idea why they measure them in shoes, and Tai himself said he measured 6'3 1/4 in shoes, but on a relative scale, it says a lot. The fact is that ALL teams fib regarding their players height. So, it is all relative at this point. Even though we know a listed height of 6'4" isn't actually accurate, it is accurate in the sense of how he relates to other players on the court with him and against him. In this sense, he is a very good sized PG to have. And I think that is why Miles and the staff are so high on him. Miles has shown that he likes height in all his players, including his PG. This is why he put Talley in at PG last year. If another team has a wing listed at 6'5", Tai should be able to guard him on a switch (stength aside) because most likely that wing listed at 6'5" is actually only 6'3". Again, it is all relative to the scale that all NCAA BB teams have set. Plus, based on the picture of Tai "smiling", he looks quite long and his hands are huge. This extended reach should allow him to play a legit 6'4" even if he is not. (As a side note, I watched a documentary on Dr. J a few weeks ago and everyone that played with him or agaisnt him constantly referred to his huge hands and how lethal this made him on the court. I don't think Tai has Dr. J hands, but his extra grip will certainly help him when he is driving to the basket and making plays.)

Harriman also said that they plan to have him play primarily PG. I think we all suspected this, but it seems to be confirmed by the coaches--at least as of now. If Tai can truly handle the ball and make plays, having a 6'4" PG for 3 or 4 years could be a huge advantage. I hope he can knock down that outside shot, b/c that is what will make him be the complete player we need (that, and playing good defense, which will definitely be a challenge for him initially until he adapts to the speed and strength of the American players.)

My college coach measured us in our socks. I tried to tell him I never play in just my socks but he wouldn't listen.