The Official Media Thread

25 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

I'm very intrigued to see who the World Herald will throw on the Nebrasketball beat.. Please not Dirk Chatelain. Please Not Dirk Chatelain. 

That would be pretty unexpected as Dirk is more of a columnist than a beat writer so you'd expect if he remains with the OWH than he eventually takes over for Shatel or could even shift subjects and take over for Michael Kelly (who was a sports columnist back in the day)

The OWH has 3 guys on the Nebraska beat: Sam McKewon, Evan Bland, and Chris Heady.  The future nebrasketball beat writer is most likely to be one of those three.

23 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

I'm very intrigued to see who the World Herald will throw on the Nebrasketball beat.. Please not Dirk Chatelain. Please Not Dirk Chatelain. 

I almost posted this exact thought word for word last night but thought I might get chastised for it.  ?  So, just so you know, you aren't alone in your sentiment.

Odds are though, that we probably won't see the OWH assign a writer to the Nebrasketball beat considering their dire situation and the resources they seem determined to dedicate to Creighton.  Probably wise to look towards the LJS for Husker coverage moving forward.

13 minutes ago, 49r said:

I almost posted this exact thought word for word last night but thought I might get chastised for it.  ?  So, just so you know, you aren't alone in your sentiment.

Odds are though, that we probably won't see the OWH assign a writer to the Nebrasketball beat considering their dire situation and the resources they seem determined to dedicate to Creighton.  Probably wise to look towards the LJS for Husker coverage moving forward.

It would be a colossal mistake and financial fiasco to not have a Husker basketball beat writer.  Despite having Creighton in their backyard, a large percentage of the Omaha metro area is still Husker centric.   The OWH is also distributed throughout the state, and many of those small town Nebraskan's are a heavy Husker lean.

23 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That would be pretty unexpected as Dirk is more of a columnist than a beat writer so you'd expect if he remains with the OWH than he eventually takes over for Shatel or could even shift subjects and take over for Michael Kelly (who was a sports columnist back in the day)

The OWH has 3 guys on the Nebraska beat: Sam McKewon, Evan Bland, and Chris Heady.  The future nebrasketball beat writer is most likely to be one of those three.

If Dirk takes over for Shatel and I have to see him on the front page everyday, that would actually be the worst thing I can think of.

I never had a problem with Lee.  I thought he was one of the more insightful and honest sportswriters covering the Huskers out there.

The only thing I recall getting irritated about was it seemed like after the die was cast and it was clear Barry Collier was going to be fired (except that he wasn't) I thought Lee engaged in a little bit of piling on.  Like there was no other angle than to remind us of what we all could plainly see.

Beyond that, though, I've enjoyed reading his stuff.

Happy trails, Lee.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

There will be a beat writer. Might not go out on the road as much as lee, but they'll have a beat writer. Zero chance that role will stay empty.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

There will be a beat writer. Might not go out on the road as much as lee, but they'll have a beat writer. Zero chance that role will stay empty.

Would guess Evan Bland would be the leading candidate.   Won't be at many road games unless we are having a great year. 

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Would love to see it be Chris Heady. I've liked him for a while

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So what's the opinion here? Was Lee forced out or is he just taking an early retirement? The wording of the whole thing was odd to me.  I know he was a great writer and did a lot for husker basketball but his political tweets were getting a little tiresome.

My guess is the OWH is cleaning up shop and trying to find ways to cut expenses.

27 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I suspect that he probably has mixed emotions about accepting a buyout that's part of the overall trend of minimizing journalism.

LeeB has been pretty vocal on twitter over the past year or so about the sorry state of print journalism in the US today, to the point of being openly critical of pretty much every news outlet that has cut staff except the OWH.  But one could tell he was none too happy about the cuts being made there either.

I suspect his public stance may have created some bad feelings amongst management and they reached a somewhat mutual agreement to part ways.

That's just my opinion though.  I could be wrong.

11 hours ago, 49r said:

• I will keep getting my information from the only place I trust and that is here.?

Sam lives in Lincoln I believe and covers the WBB. So would he pull double duty?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, 49r said:

I suspect his public stance may have created some bad feelings amongst management and they reached a somewhat mutual agreement to part ways.

That's just my opinion though.  I could be wrong.

If it was just him you would have a point. I believe they have bought out several people already and this was sort of expected when Lee Enterprises took over managing the OWH

I get what you're saying about his non-sports tweets but the real driver here is the bottom line.  If it was anything else no doubt he'd approach Brad Dickson levels of disgruntled about it.

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Sam lives in Lincoln I believe and covers the WBB. So would he pull double duty?

No, he wouldn't pull double-duty. I doubt you'd have someone who covers the football beat like he does also cover the men's hoops beat. Evan Bland lives in Lincoln also, I believe, so I'd think he'd be more likely than Sam. Either would be good.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, Norm Peterson said:

I never had a problem with Lee.  I thought he was one of the more insightful and honest sportswriters covering the Huskers out there.

The only thing I recall getting irritated about was it seemed like after the die was cast and it was clear Barry Collier was going to be fired (except that he wasn't) I thought Lee engaged in a little bit of piling on.  Like there was no other angle than to remind us of what we all could plainly see.

Beyond that, though, I've enjoyed reading his stuff.

Happy trails, Lee.

I think your thoughts are spot-on, Norm.  This news deserves it's own thread, by the way.  We're talking about a writer who covered this program for 30 years, right?

My admiration for Lee grew each year.  I'm going to miss him greatly, and I get more and more concerned each day about the state of journalism in general.  We need newspapers like the OWH and LJS, but not sure they are going to survive the sinking business model.