Jump to content
seaofred92

The Official Media Thread

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this belongs in here or if it warrants its own thread but our very own Lumber Jumpin' Jack Splash McTreigh has just dropped the first episode of his podcast:

 

 

I couldn't find an embeddable link so at least for now it looks like iTunes only.  Maybe @hhcdimes can hack into it somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is worth a read:

http://amp.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/20/sports-media-reporting-objective-journalism-fans?__twitter_impression=true

 

There's a lot of discussion here about reporters who are "negative." Those reporters will tell you they're objective. It points to the bigger issue that people don't want to confront opinions that differ from their own. (They get their "news" from MSNBC and Fox.) 

 

I'm not knocking any of the Rivals/Hail Varsity/etc. stuff, but I don't subscribe. I'm not looking for boosterism, I'd prefer to hear a real take on NU. I might not agree with it, but so what? I'd prefer to have a wide range of views to consider when making my own judgment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

This is worth a read:

http://amp.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/20/sports-media-reporting-objective-journalism-fans?__twitter_impression=true

 

There's a lot of discussion here about reporters who are "negative." Those reporters will tell you they're objective. It points to the bigger issue that people don't want to confront opinions that differ from their own. (They get their "news" from MSNBC and Fox.) 

 

I'm not knocking any of the Rivals/Hail Varsity/etc. stuff, but I don't subscribe. I'm not looking for boosterism, I'd prefer to hear a real take on NU. I might not agree with it, but so what? I'd prefer to have a wide range of views to consider when making my own judgment. 

 

Just curious about this comment. What kind of boosterism do you think we do at HV? Our two main beat writers (Derek Peterson and myself) are alumni of Oklahoma and Creighton, respectively, and a guy like Brandon Vogel is far from a Nebraska homer. We're not out to create conflict or go at anybody directly, but I feel like we've been pretty critical when the situation has called for it (which was a lot this year). I don't consume every other outlet's content regularly so I don't really have the proper perspective for how we compare to everyone else. Our magazine is definitely targeting the hardcore fan who loves photography, history and things like that, but I feel like our website coverage is fairly straightforward. 

 

I'm not begging you to change your decision by any means, I'm just always curious about how we might improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

 

Just curious about this comment. What kind of boosterism do you think we do at HV? Our two main beat writers (Derek Peterson and myself) are alumni of Oklahoma and Creighton, respectively, and a guy like Brandon Vogel is far from a Nebraska homer. We're not out to create conflict or go at anybody directly, but I feel like we've been pretty critical when the situation has called for it (which was a lot this year). I don't consume every other outlet's content regularly so I don't really have the proper perspective for how we compare to everyone else. Our magazine is definitely targeting the hardcore fan who loves photography, history and things like that, but I feel like our website coverage is fairly straightforward. 

 

I'm not begging you to change your decision by any means, I'm just always curious about how we might improve.

Hard to respond specifically since I don't subscribe. :(

 

Like I said, not knocking any of your stuff, I think you're very knowledgable and I'm not trying to shame you for your profession. But the bigger point is whether a reader's going to get a consistently objective view when getting news that's geared to present a certain point of view. Ultimately, such outlets are not going to take a chance on turning off subscribers or of offending their sources within the university. You're a Creighton alum, surely you must have some thoughts on the dirty birds' 7 straight wins in the series. But you're not going to suggest a story for HV on how they're clearly the better program. The CU Rivals site will do that. 

 

Don't be offended by my remarks. The world's changing because of the information revolution. Businesses produce their own news videos now, people publish their own books, there are thousands of news websites. Maybe traditional objective journalism in the future will only have a place in the coverage of government and politics. But I'm old and prefer to read a lot of points of view. Peace to you, young man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Nice Article, TTOY!  I really enjoyed reading.  :nod:

 

Thanks for Posting it!

 

A couple of Quotes, plus a lot of other interesting stuff!

Quote

With 50 seconds to go, he poked the ball away from Northwestern forward Dererk Pardon, then saved the ball along the baseline for a steal. On the ensuing offensive possession, Roby hit a 3-pointer from the left wing that put the Cornhuskers up 70-53. Afterward, he pointed toward the bench, signaling with three fingers. It was directed at teammate Nana Akenten, a freshman forward at Nebraska.

“Nana was talking to me at halftime because I didn’t have that good of a first half,” Roby said. “I could hear him behind me. He was going, ‘Shoot it. shoot it.’ He’s always telling me to shoot it. That one was for him.”

 

“Quite frankly, I try to wait as long as possible to spring it on the opponent so they kind of feel like, ‘Oh no, here we go,’” Miles said. “Isaiah gives us so much versatility because he can guard a center, he can switch out and guard a guard, and then offensively, he can score down low, he can make 3s, and he can pass it. I would say he’s a real matchup problem for folks.”

 

“I love it at Nebraska,” Roby said. “Lincoln is a bigger city, maybe twice the size of Rockford, but it’s got a small-town feel, kind of like Dixon. The athletes, we see each other all the time around campus and know each other. Basketball-wise, we’re having a good season. Everything’s been great so far.”

 

Edited by Red Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thattimeofyear said:

It appears unfortunately we may have a problem and its huge

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
 

 

I went from someone needing to pick my mouth up off the floor to someone needing to pick up my heart from the floor.  Anything in the local media about this yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Uh-oh...

 

He seemed to be feeling something towards the end of that game. Related?

 

Do you think it's injury related?  My mind immediately went elsewhere.  Someone was kicked off team, someone got into trouble in school or with law, or we committed a violation of some sort.  Either way, I have probably broken my refresh button on the computer in the past 45 minutes.

Edited by hskr4life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

 

Do you think it's injury related.  My mind immediately went elsewhere.  Someone was kicked off team, someone got into trouble in school or with law, or we committed a violation of some sort.  Either way, I have probably broken my refresh button on the computer in the past 45 minutes.

I know as much as you do, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×