The Official Media Thread

10/2/13 Rosenthal Chat

• Shavon - I haven't seen him in action, in person, yet, but yes, Shavon was "all good" on Saturday, according to Tim Miles. Disaster averted.
  • Halloween Media Day - Oh, and speaking of Shavon Shields, he'll accompany Tim Miles and senior guard Ray Gallegos to Big Ten Media Day on Oct. 31 in Chicago. No word on what costumes they'll be wearing.
  • Rivers - David had a foot issue that had just crept on him the week of the scrimmage. We're supposed to talk with Tim tomorrow so we'll get an update on his status.
  • My starting five is Tai Webster, Ray Gallegos, Shavon Shields, Terran Petteway and Walter Pitchford.
  • On the scrimmage - Well, to be honest, I didn't take away very much (or tried not to), partly because it was clearly a loose, street-ball, have-fun-for-the fans display, and also because it came after the team practiced for about 2 hours. So not the freshest of legs. But I liked Tai Webster's court vision. I saw more athleticism all around. Didn't see much for three-point shooting, but wasn't reading much into that based on the above reasons. impressed with Nate Hawkins.
  • Recruiting - Elbert Robinson remains on the board. Most recently visited Ohio State. I'd say that's Nebraska's No. 1 big man target. Could be some unofficial visitors this weekend. I'll blog or tweet when I know for sure.
  • Defense - Yes, Miles very much likes this team, and you're absolutely correct about the length. You'll see Nebraska do some things on defense you didn't see last season. However, lack of size inside is still a concern, particularly on defense. But rebounding should be much improved.

Like what he says about Coach Miles being big on skill development.  The guys are chomping at the bit to get into group practices because he's been really drilling them on individual and small group development.  Awesome.

Creighton Fan gives me a down arrow on THIS?  Seriously?  Sorry, it's one thing to disagree, but now you're just being an ass.

I helped to balance it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to Gaskin and Stephens talking about Nebraska Basketball is a little like watching "Drunk History" on comedy central:  They mostly hit the points and their analysis is like they're two guys sitting in a bar who sort of know about Nebraska basketball.

Listening to Gaskin and Stephens talking about Nebraska Basketball is a little like watching "Drunk History" on comedy central:  They mostly hit the points and their analysis is like they're two guys sitting in a bar who sort of know about Nebraska basketball.

I have now listened to 3 podcasts of these guys...

Dimes, your assessment is very kind...you are a gentleman.

It'll be difficult to find anything resembling decent hoops coverage until after the conference championship games in early december.  Really, probably not until the NU/CU game.  Not sure what 590 in Omaha will carry, but 1620 will probably still be your best bet, even though they're the Jays flagship.  Gaskins and Stephens does do a pretty good job of giving the program attention during the season and has players and coaches on fairly regularly, but I've never found that show much of any other reason to listen to that show.  It's not better than any of the other options on in the market, not even close.  I'd imagine 1620 still gets better ratings in Lincoln than 93.7.

49r    I think you will like this kid...an interview with SS this morning on 1620.

https://soundcloud.com/1620-the-zone/nebrasketball-guard-shavon

Yeah, I think I might, too.  Here's the embedded goodness (skip to about 2/3 of the way through):

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/Oct_17_Seg_1__John_and_Mike_l_start_the_show-1382038288.mp3

FYI

The new season of the Bank of the West Nebraska Basketball Show begins airing this weekend. This week's show previews the 2013-14 season, including interviews with each of the team captains. (Stations - http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=209286378)
7980_556875697694316_1911479601_n.jpg

Like · · Share · 51 · 22 minutes ago ·

Thanks for the heads-up!

A further heads-up -  I just checked my DirecTV Guide and the NU Basketball Show doesn't show up on any of my local stations listed in the Huskers.com article yet, the NU Football Show is listed in the Guide in the time slot. Perhaps the Guide hasn't been updated yet or more likely the NU Basketball Show will be in a different time slot until after football season.

However the NU Basketball Show did show up in the Guide on Fox Sports Midwest as a replay on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning - if you have the Sports Pak from DirecTV you should be able to get FSMW anywhere in the country.

It's too bad the Big Ten Network decided to stop airing all coaches shows - that used to be a great place to catch replays when you missed the show at the scheduled local time.

The NU Basketball Show did air in place of the NU Football Show last night, although my DirecTV Guide never updated to show that. So if you DVR the Football Show, you'll have Basketball in its place this week. Just kind of an intro to the season show.

1st & 2nd segments - They showed several minutes of the open scrimmage from Sept 27 and then Coach Miles gave breakdowns of each player while they showed several minutes of practice footage - his comments summarized below - they started to go faster once they got to Petteway, my guess is Coach Miles was too long-winded early & started to run out of time, so not as many comments on the last several players:

• Gallegos - Really athletic, great 3-point shooter, needs to diversify his game, find ways to get fouled & score in transition, he has worked at that, becoming more vocal & being a better leader, big things expected
  • Peltz - Love his grit & determination & fearlessness, never know how I might use him, needs to cut his hair  :P
  • Rivers - Slowed by foot injury, then had a bad allergic reaction that really puffed up his face, but has been toughing it out at practice
  • Smith - Started well, then got hurt, knee swells up on him at times, then injured hamstring maybe favoring knee, need him healthy, he's a critical guy for us
  • Biggs - JC All-American, important to get him going, suspended for exhibition & first 2 games
  • Shields - He's a player, he's a leader, total package, it's in the DNA, cares about NU & wants success, expect his numbers to improve & improve
  • Petteway - Chance to be very productive (kind of skipped over him here as they spoke quite a bit about him during the scrimmage highlights & how he is a gym rat, can't get him out of the gym, even sneaks over to the rec center after they kick him out of the Hendricks center, voted team captain, big role)
  • Pitchford - Will do some very good things, going to be very productive player
  • Vooch - Still developing, still trying to get into the lineup
  • Parker - So quick & aggressive on the ball defender, needs to find his way on offense, find assists, knock down open shots
  • Webster - A lot of hype, I think he loves the attention and pressure, very mentally & physically strong player, missed 9 practices with ankle injury
  • Hawkins - Coming back from concussion, has practiced well recently
  • Fuller - Has a great looking shot, acclimating to the speed of the game
  • Wagner - Dislocated ankle, gruesome injury

No other walk-ons were mentioned. Then they showed a few more highlights from practices, both in Hendricks & Pinnacle Bank plus a few comments from players about the upcoming season. Then a discussion of the schedule: 

• In basketball, coaches get to set 95% of the scheduling, other than with Cincinnati we worked with the football team to get that one scheduled
  • Could be a Top 20-type schedule again this year
  • Wanted our first game at Pinnacle to be very exciting, wanted it to be an opponent that could really challenge us and a game we could possibly lose, we likely will be an underdog, FGC gives us a chance to measure ourself & find out what we're made of - historic day
  • Going to Charleston for Classic Tournament sponsored by ESPN, will stay with ESPN next 2 years for in-season tournaments, next year in Hawaii around Christmas, then in Anaheim in 2015

Finally Coach Miles' thoughts on moving from level to level as a head coach:

• Basketball itself doesn't change that much as you go from level to level
  • It becomes a bit more sophisticated
  • Defensively have had to change the most because of athleticism, don't pressure all over the court as much anymore
  • Now recruiting worldwide, have to get good enough players to win in Big 10 & NCAA Tourney, that's why they pay me the big bucks

Next NU Basketball show will be after football season wraps up

Thanks for the heads-up!

A further heads-up -  I just checked my DirecTV Guide and the NU Basketball Show doesn't show up on any of my local stations listed in the Huskers.com article yet, the NU Football Show is listed in the Guide in the time slot. Perhaps the Guide hasn't been updated yet or more likely the NU Basketball Show will be in a different time slot until after football season.

However the NU Basketball Show did show up in the Guide on Fox Sports Midwest as a replay on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning - if you have the Sports Pak from DirecTV you should be able to get FSMW anywhere in the country.

It's too bad the Big Ten Network decided to stop airing all coaches shows - that used to be a great place to catch replays when you missed the show at the scheduled local time.

Next showing for Direct TV will be Oct 22 @ 4 pm on 671 Fox Midwest