The Official Media Thread

Very high praise for Petteway, Shields and Webster. 

High praise for Fuller, Pitchford and Smith.

Praise for Gallegos, Biggs and Hawkins.

Outside of Gallegos and Shields, all those players are newcomers.  If all of that is accurate, we just about can't help but be a much better team this year.

Norm is GEEKED!!! for this season.

Very high praise for Petteway, Shields and Webster. 

High praise for Fuller, Pitchford and Smith.

Praise for Gallegos, Biggs and Hawkins.

Outside of Gallegos and Shields, all those players are newcomers.  If all of that is accurate, we just about can't help but be a much better team this year.

Norm is GEEKED!!! for this season.

Norm, you're GEEKED!!! for every season, let's be honest...  ;)

A couple thoughts after reading BR's thoughts:

1.  Very little mention of Pitchford.  This surprises me as of all the guys, he is the one you would think we would be hearing a lot about.  Hard to imagine that a guy who is 6'10 and can stroke it out out to the 3 line, very athletic and with a reported (self-reported) verticle of 40" isn't dominating in practice/scrimmages. What am I missing?  How can a guy like that not stand out in practices, scrimmages, etc?  Is he soft?  Is he not as athletic as reported?  Is he just not strong enough?  What gives?

2.  Tai!  Tai!  Tai!  Absolutely stoked to hear these reports about Tai. Remember, he was the last one to arrive on campus, yet he is already creating the most buzz around the players.  That says a lot to me.  We NEED Tai to be legit.  Very excited to hear these reports (albeit, very limited).  We need a difference maker.  Someone that other teams, and B1G media, and maybe even national media, will pay attention to.  Someone to put NU on the map.  Get us noticed.  That is asking a lot, but having an electric freshman on the team can go a long ways towards getting a little respect and notoriety.

3.  Petteway.  For some reason, I am just not quite ready to buy into the hype on him.  I guess I have trouble believing that a guy who averaged 3pts and 2RBs per game as a freshman at TTU can come here and suddenly be a major difference maker right off the bat.  Yes, I realize it is a different system and he is older and more mature.  But still, in most cases, if a guy can ball, a guy can ball, even as a freshman.  For instance, I expect Tai to average significantly better numbers than that.  Shavon averaged significantly numbers better than that last year.  Heck, I even expect Fuller to average better numbers than that this year.  Beyond that, I am probably more reserved about him based on reports that he is not a great shooter.  Miles loves shooters.  If Petteway can't stroke it from 15-20ft, I am not sure he will light up the score board.  But who knows.  I hope I am wrong. 

4.  Vooch - disappointing.  The writing may be on the wall.  Miles has made it clear he is looking for at least 2 legit centers in the 2014 class.  That says a lot.

5.  Nathan Hawkins - What a complete mystery.  I am not sure anyone knows what to expect from him.  Is a potential darkhorse?  He defininately has good size for a 2 guard.  Is he athletic enough to cover the other teams 2 guard in the B1G?  That may the question. 

6.  Shavon - I also love me some Shavon.  But what will his role be?  What position will he play?  Is a SF, or will be play the 4?  That will be interesting.

7.  Attendance at the scrimmage.  Wow, I have no idea.  But I am going to go with my gut and say it will impress at 7,000+.

NUdiehard ...

I threw away my crystal ball a few seasons ago after it told me that we'd be a better team with tall guys in Sadler year 4 than we were with a bunch of short guys in Sadler year 3.  HOWEVER ...

Brian's notes weren't devoid of mention of Pitchford.  He was just more effusive in his praise of Petteway.  He said he thinks Pitchford will start.  He also said others think it'll be Smith.  That might say more about Smith being good than Pitchford being disappointing.  And he said ALL of the transfers have impressed.

As to Petteway, I see what you mean.  Those aren't blow-me-down kinds of stats from Petteway's freshman year.  But that squad was a dumpster fire under whatshisname (Doc's pal who get canned.)  And sometimes kids blow up.  It happens.  It happened to Wes Wilkinson, who put up worse than Petteway-esque numbers when he was a freshman.  Lots of people wrote him off entirely.  Then, his senior year came around and he was playing like an all-conference kind of player.  Totally different dude.  At some point, the light came on for him.  Perhaps that has happened with Petteway, but just a bit sooner.

And the news about Tai is extremely reassuring.  Extremely.  If the news about our current crop of newcomers is accurate, we are an Elbert Robinson away from popping our NCAA tourney win cherry.  So close we can taste it.

3.  Petteway.  For some reason, I am just not quite ready to buy into the hype on him.  I guess I have trouble believing that a guy who averaged 3pts and 2RBs per game as a freshman at TTU can come here and suddenly be a major difference maker right off the bat.  

It's hard to be consistent when Shooter Flatch is running the team

Good to hear the first impressions about Tai. I have seen him play here in new zealand and was impressed by his general stature (not being overawed by much older and experienced players) and shooting. Alhough he seemed to have the physical body and presence, there were times that i felt he shied away from driving to the basket when I thought he could. It was a little like he was trying to play for the team when maybe an individual action was optional, if that makes sense.

I do not know much about american college basketball but I have heard it can be quite physical and fast, and that may be an aspect of his early game that may be lacking. That level of basketball is a different kettle of fish compared to league basketball in New Zealand. I like to see him develop some mongrel and 'american cockiness' (that's a compliment for those of you who may be sensitive to that kind of thing ;) ).

Keep the reports coming. So sorry I cannot experience the exitement live, but through you guys I can get a taste of it.

thank you

KNTK - Gaskins and Stephens:  Husker Basketball loses recruit to Creighton

Oh my goodness, it would be hard for these guys to be any more clueless on the topic.

First, they say that Gilmore, who they keep calling "Lee Lee", is from China!  Texas-China - ya, they are pretty close to one another.  :rolleyes:  ( I won't even comment on the potential racial over tones of assuming some guy with that sort of name, which they can't even get correct, must be Chinese....)

Then, if that isn't bad enough, the one guy goes on and on and on about how Lee Lee is a JUCO.  Uh hello - he's not a JUCO, he's a high school senior!

I think its safe to say that when looking for college basketball analysis/recruiting talk, it is probably best to stay clear of these two clueless and uninformed guys.

I'm about to agree with a Creighton fan about something......Gaskins and Stephens are BLOWHARDS!!!

3.  Petteway.  For some reason, I am just not quite ready to buy into the hype on him.  I guess I have trouble believing that a guy who averaged 3pts and 2RBs per game as a freshman at TTU can come here and suddenly be a major difference maker right off the bat.  

It's hard to be consistent when Shooter Flatch is running the team

I don't think Billy Gillespie is nearly as likable as Shooter though.

I always enjoy listening to Coach Smith.  But I was not happy with the interview.  I have heard him on that station a few times now, and I swear they ask him the same questions every time (about Miles and what its like to work with him, etc)  Coach Smith is one of the select few individuals in the entire world who has had the opportunity to see all of new players (both freshman and transfers alike) play basketball on a regular basis since they arrived on campus (espcially the transfers who practiced with them all of last year). It should be a fundamental requirement that the interviewer ASK ONE SIMPLE QUESTION during an interview in the preseason:

QUESTION:  "Coach Smith, could you please name all of the new players who will be playing this year and give us a description of their game and how they play, including some strengths and weaknesses.

Its not that difficult.  Honestly, they did that entire interview and I didn't hear one thing about a single player on the team except maybe Ray Gallegos, who I already know everything I need to know about him b/c he has been on the team for 5 years and I saw him play more than anybody in the history of basketball last year.  Jeesh!@

I always enjoy listening to Coach Smith.  But I was not happy with the interview.  I have heard him on that station a few times now, and I swear they ask him the same questions every time (about Miles and what its like to work with him, etc)  Coach Smith is one of the select few individuals in the entire world who has had the opportunity to see all of new players (both freshman and transfers alike) play basketball on a regular basis since they arrived on campus (espcially the transfers who practiced with them all of last year). It should be a fundamental requirement that the interviewer ASK ONE SIMPLE QUESTION during an interview in the preseason:

QUESTION:  "Coach Smith, could you please name all of the new players who will be playing this year and give us a description of their game and how they play, including some strengths and weaknesses.

Its not that difficult.  Honestly, they did that entire interview and I didn't hear one thing about a single player on the team except maybe Ray Gallegos, who I already know everything I need to know about him b/c he has been on the team for 5 years and I saw him play more than anybody in the history of basketball last year.  Jeesh!@

OR, if they wanted to not be so long winded, they could just say, "Tell us about some of the newcomers who have stood out."

OR, if they wanted to not be so long winded, they could just say, "Tell us about some of the newcomers who have stood out."

Your question is way too open-ended and leaves Smith too much discretion in how to answer.  Plus, he is not going to want to single out any particular players at this point.  So, he could respond with a general "we are excited about the newcomers and think they bring a lot to the table.  Obviously, they have to work hard and make it happen, but we believe they have a lot talent and the potential to do some good things this year and in the years to come."  Or, at best, he talks about 1 or 2 players who are doing well (most likely talk about Petteway and his leadership and maybe Pitchford or mention that Fuller can shoot it (things we all all already know about.)  Thus why I asked for "strengths and weaknesses for each and every newcomer.    And if the coach leaves out a couple newcomers, the interviewer should follow up with a specific question about the player who was not mentioned (although I doubt either Benning or Sharp could name 3 players on the roster right now).

My question forces Smith to address each player individually

Great post.  Those two are awful.  They are basically both robots that know nothing about basketball.  Sharp is a Bo Pelini fanboy and Benning has the charisma of a slab of concrete.  Sharp also thinks telling the same stories about how he almost flunked out of Nebraska is high comedy.

I missed this interview because I gave up on that show over a year ago.  Especially when compared to their predecessors' show, the slow is a snooze fest.

Gary Sharp has always been among the better radio guys.

Disagree completely -- he's awful.  Easily the worst of ALL of the sportstalk people in Omaha (and that's saying something!) Unfortunately he's got the anti-skill set: not only is he clueless, but he's also remarkably unentertaining.

Gary Sharp has always been among the better radio guys.

Disagree completely -- he's awful.  Easily the worst of ALL of the sportstalk people in Omaha (and that's saying something!) Unfortunately he's got the anti-skill set: not only is he clueless, but he's also remarkably unentertaining.

Agree to disagree I guess.  <_<

Like what he says about Coach Miles being big on skill development.  The guys are chomping at the bit to get into group practices because he's been really drilling them on individual and small group development.  Awesome.

Creighton Fan gives me a down arrow on THIS?  Seriously?  Sorry, it's one thing to disagree, but now you're just being an ass.

Like what he says about Coach Miles being big on skill development.  The guys are chomping at the bit to get into group practices because he's been really drilling them on individual and small group development.  Awesome.

Creighton Fan gives me a down arrow on THIS?  Seriously?  Sorry, it's one thing to disagree, but now you're just being an ass.

Honestly, that was an accident.  I meant to down arrow the post about Gary Sharp and accidentally clicked the wrong one.  I'd undo it if there was a way to do so... sorry...