The Official Media Thread

Nice news about 2015 PG recruit Nick Rogers.  Had unofficial visit and received an offer.  Washut says in the Sports Nightly clip above that he and his dad were blown away by the visit.  Smart kid, 3.6 GPA.  Connections already to Nebraska staff.  His dad was a player at So Dak School of Mines and knew Coach Miles while in college.  There's also a connection between Rogers' dad and Shawn Eichhorst from when he was at Wisconsin-Whitewater.

I like this kid a lot, BTW.  I think he has terrific athleticism for someone his size (6'0"), he's a good student, and because of his lawnmower injury where he lost 3 fingertips on his rt hand, you just KNOW he's full of desire.  Overcoming that injury to get back to where he was ... he has to have a great attitude.  With all due respect to any other PG recruit we might be looking at for 2015, this is the kid I like.

Nice news about 2015 PG recruit Nick Rogers.  Had unofficial visit and received an offer.  Washut says in the Sports Nightly clip above that he and his dad were blown away by the visit.  Smart kid, 3.6 GPA.  Connections already to Nebraska staff.  His dad was a player at So Dak School of Mines and knew Coach Miles while in college.  There's also a connection between Rogers' dad and Shawn Eichhorst from when he was at Wisconsin-Whitewater.

I like this kid a lot, BTW.  I think he has terrific athleticism for someone his size (6'0"), he's a good student, and because of his lawnmower injury where he lost 3 fingertips on his rt hand, you just KNOW he's full of desire.  Overcoming that injury to get back to where he was ... he has to have a great attitude.  With all due respect to any other PG recruit we might be looking at for 2015, this is the kid I like.

Didn't Washut say that while Rogers was waiting for his right hand to heal. he learned to play with his left hand also. So this should be a big plus.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I've been a little lazy with keeping up with my RSS feeds, so there may be some older stuff here...but here goes.

From August 2nd

KNTK - Gaskins and Stephens:  Chris Harriman talks about Tai Webster

http://theticketfm.com/media/com_podcastmanager/GandS/8-2gs-chris_harriman.mp3

then following up with a little blurb about Harriman and interest from Purdue

http://theticketfm.com/media/com_podcastmanager/GandS/8-2gs-four_more_downs.mp3

• 1 month later...

KNTK - Gaskins and Stephens:  Husker Basketball loses recruit to Creighton

http://theticketfm.com/media/com_podcastmanager/GandS/9-23_neball_loss.mp3

Oh my goodness, it would be hard for these guys to be any more clueless on the topic.

First, they say that Gilmore, who they keep calling "Lee Lee", is from China!  Texas-China - ya, they are pretty close to one another.  :rolleyes:  ( I won't even comment on the potential racial over tones of assuming some guy with that sort of name, which they can't even get correct, must be Chinese....)

Then, if that isn't bad enough, the one guy goes on and on and on about how Lee Lee is a JUCO.  Uh hello - he's not a JUCO, he's a high school senior!

I think its safe to say that when looking for college basketball analysis/recruiting talk, it is probably best to stay clear of these two clueless and uninformed guys.

Creighton Fan, permit me to disagree with you about the racial over or undertones.  Le is a common family name among people of Asian descent much like Smith is a common family name among those of British descent.  Don't think it's necessarily racial to make assumptions about someone based on a name.  Not all conclusions that involve race are racist.

For instance, I vehemently disagree with those people who think the prank on that San Francisco news station about the names of the pilot and crew for the downed Asiana Airlines jet was racist.  The fake names sounded real enough that it was convincing.  And what's the difference between Sum Ting Wong and those old "books that were never written" jokes like "Under the Bleachers" by Seymore Butts.  Isn't that making fun of a name just like the Asiana Airlines crash?  And I assume you'd agree that the second example isn't racist or racial.  What's the difference between the two?

Oh my goodness, it would be hard for these guys to be any more clueless on the topic.

First, they say that Gilmore, who they keep calling "Lee Lee"

His twitter handle is @3LeeLee_

My guess is that they are confusing him with Deng Deng, who is of course an Sudanese Australian attending Lee College JUCO after decommitting from LSU

'I'm sure Creighton will be happy with African-Asian-American player Lee Deng Lee Deng III' replied John Gaskins as he prepared to send a flaming bag of poop to Ray Gallegos' doorstep.

First, they say that Gilmore, who they keep calling "Lee Lee"

His twitter handle is @3LeeLee_

My guess is that they are confusing him with Deng Deng, who is of course an Sudanese Australian attending Lee College JUCO after decommitting from LSU

'I'm sure Creighton will be happy with African-Asian-American player Lee Deng Lee Deng III' replied John Gaskins as he prepared to send a flaming bag of poop to Ray Gallegos' doorstep.

Creighton Fan, permit me to disagree with you about the racial over or undertones.  Le is a common family name among people of Asian descent much like Smith is a common family name among those of British descent.  Don't think it's necessarily racial to make assumptions about someone based on a name.  Not all conclusions that involve race are racist.

Fair enough.  But in this particular case, the idiot said something like, "Yeah, Lee Lee, who I believe is from China...."  Since he obviously didn't have any idea who the kid was, or where he was from, he probably shouldn't be speculating on where a kid is from.  To pretend that you know the guy and then add in "Who I beleive is from China" is making a racial assumption solely on a word (or name).  He was obviously just making an assumption that anyone named Lee must, of course, be Chinese.   As you said, Le is a common family name among Asians, not just Chinese.  Where it becomes racial, IMO, is that you get the impression that this tool is sort of taking the position that all Asians are the same.

Of course, the fact that his last name is NOT EVEN LEE is probably the biggest problem here.  That along with him acting like he knew who he was talking about, which he clearly did not.  He can't even say he had the guy mixed up with another Nebraska recruit from China because there are no Nebraska recruits from China (that have been made public anyway) at this time!

Either way, the guy was an idiot.  He may not be a racist idiot, but he's certainly an idiot.

Crieghton Fan, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Gaskins and Stephens, just like Creighton fans, are in Husker football mode right now...they don't have too much time to devote to hoops.   :)

Actually, they sound a lot like the typical Nebraska football fan attempting to discuss basketball (the members of this board obviously excluded).

The only thing lacking from the tidbit was one of them saying, "Well, you know, signing day isn't until February, so there's still time for him to change his mind"  :rolleyes:

Rosenthal having a chat today

Highlights

• Redshirts have been pretty impressive, particularly Terran Petteway. He'll be an immediate difference maker and leader.
  • Any starting lineup has to include Petteway and Shields. Webster's a lock, too, and I say Gallegos, although not all agree with that. I'd probably say Pitchford over Smith, but that's just me.
  • I'd say all the freshmen see playing time, but how much, I don't know. Fuller can be a dangerous three-point shooter, I do know that
  • I don't see any of the freshmen redshirting, to be honest. Peltz could be a candidate, depending on how healthy he is. If he's health and ready, he wants to play, though
  • re: open practice: I'll tell you what Tim Miles told me about practice: He doesn't want a lot of company. Which is pretty standard, really.
  • I asked Tim Wilson about Sergej Vucetic,and he said Vucetic is a "project" that hasn't put on muscle as they had hoped, but IS in much better shape and conditioning. So he's making progress in some areas.
  • Shooters: Gallegos, Webster, Hawkins. Even Smith can shoot from the perimeter (working on getting more comfortable from 3).
  • Guesses Shields will be the top scorer
  • Guesses that we might see 5,000 people at the scrimmage
  • Petteway and Smith will be huge additions in rebounding. But size is still a big concern, particularly on defense.
  • When I ask players an open-ended question about who looks most impressive, Tai's name is mentioned more than anyone's. I haven't personally seen the team in action very much this summer. I know there's been a lot of hype for Tai, and expectations are high, and so far, the reviews have been good.
  • Personally, I'd the say the newcomer who will make the biggest impact will be Terran Petteway. This guy is hungry, and he provides a huge boost in athleticism. Not only that, he's emerged as a team leader. He wants to win. Bad.
  • I'd expect some turnover, but don't want to speculate with names. I'd be surprised if it's more than one or two players.
  •  

Lee lee is similar, I suppose, to Ling Ling who was the Panda in the Washington National Zoo for many years.  Her mate was Hsing Hsing.  They were both a gift from ... (wait for it) ... China. 

What the radio guy said about Lee's name was obviously a joke.  Not a very funny joke but a joke nevertheless.  Not sure it's any different from how we make fun of Lee Barfknecht's name.  And nobody's going to say that's racist.

But, on the subject of names, I ran into a guy the other night whose last name, seriously, was Assman.  Dead serious.  I mean, there's no sport in making fun of that name.  It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.  Like making fun of icedragon's spelling abilities.  Hard as I had to restrain myself, I just had to leave it alone.

But if I had made fun of the guy's last name, no one would be calling me racist for it.  Just sayin'.

Rosenthal having a chat today

Highlights

• Redshirts have been pretty impressive, particularly Terran Petteway. He'll be an immediate difference maker and leader.
  • Any starting lineup has to include Petteway and Shields. Webster's a lock, too, and I say Gallegos, although not all agree with that. I'd probably say Pitchford over Smith, but that's just me.
  • I'd say all the freshmen see playing time, but how much, I don't know. Fuller can be a dangerous three-point shooter, I do know that
  • I don't see any of the freshmen redshirting, to be honest. Peltz could be a candidate, depending on how healthy he is. If he's health and ready, he wants to play, though
  • re: open practice: I'll tell you what Tim Miles told me about practice: He doesn't want a lot of company. Which is pretty standard, really.
  • I asked Tim Wilson about Sergej Vucetic,and he said Vucetic is a "project" that hasn't put on muscle as they had hoped, but IS in much better shape and conditioning. So he's making progress in some areas.
  • Shooters: Gallegos, Webster, Hawkins. Even Smith can shoot from the perimeter (working on getting more comfortable from 3).
  • Guesses Shields will be the top scorer
  • Guesses that we might see 5,000 people at the scrimmage
  • Petteway and Smith will be huge additions in rebounding. But size is still a big concern, particularly on defense.
  • When I ask players an open-ended question about who looks most impressive, Tai's name is mentioned more than anyone's. I haven't personally seen the team in action very much this summer. I know there's been a lot of hype for Tai, and expectations are high, and so far, the reviews have been good.
  • Personally, I'd the say the newcomer who will make the biggest impact will be Terran Petteway. This guy is hungry, and he provides a huge boost in athleticism. Not only that, he's emerged as a team leader. He wants to win. Bad.
  • I'd expect some turnover, but don't want to speculate with names. I'd be surprised if it's more than one or two players.
  •  

Holy crap, is that ever good news!  Man, great to hear all of that!  No wonder they're looking at nothing but bigs for '14.  Lock Elbert Robinson down and this is sounding like a tournament team, is it not?

I have to admit, my day got a little brighter when I read that about Tai.

Assuming that means he's that good...and not that the rest of the team isn't.

But the rest of the team does include Shavon, so...I'm gonna go with it meaning it's time to start believing the hype about Tai  :D

Crieghton Fan, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Gaskins and Stephens, just like Creighton fans, are in Husker football mode right now...they don't have too much time to devote to hoops.   :)

Actually, they sound a lot like the typical Nebraska football fan attempting to discuss basketball (the members of this board obviously excluded).

The only thing lacking from the tidbit was one of them saying, "Well, you know, signing day isn't until February, so there's still time for him to change his mind"  :rolleyes:

Yeah, it saddens me sometimes to visit other Husker message boards and see their takes on hoops.