The Official Media Thread

11 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/shatel-nu-coach-tim-miles-gets-serious-as-his-best/article_c894d46b-980d-5e8a-8e53-1b57d6ebe462.html

Here is the affirmation that Shawn Eichorst's flush the toilet while you're in the shower style of AD'ing was starting to wear on Miles.

image.png

It's not a coincidence he started tweeting again shortly after SE was canned and he looked much more confident and grounded at Media Days.

Edited by uneblinstu

Listened to this yesterday. Although it's Bluejay Bishop talking about our chances for the tourney....it helps to at least put things into perspective in a statistical sense. We not only need to win, we have a lot stacked against us with teams with our similar record getting wins against better teams in better conferences.

3 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Listened to this yesterday. Although it's Bluejay Bishop talking about our chances for the tourney....it helps to at least put things into perspective in a statistical sense. We not only need to win, we have a lot stacked against us with teams with our similar record getting wins against better teams in better conferences.

That's a guy I totally don't get. Husker grad, former Husker play-by-play guy, and now a total Creighton Homer doing broadcast for their bball team...makes me sick!  And he totally tries to be Kevin Kugler, yet isn't even remotely close. That show died once Kugler and S'vere left.

Edited by jason2486

14 hours ago, jason2486 said:

That's a guy I totally don't get. Husker grad, former Husker play-by-play guy, and now a total Creighton Homer doing broadcast for their bball team...makes me sick!  And he totally tries to be Kevin Kugler, yet isn't even remotely close. That show died once Kugler and S'vere left.

They can have him.

14 hours ago, jason2486 said:

I do agree that the show is terrible now

24 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The BEST way to improve that show is to hire a host who doesn't THINK he's as funny as Kevin Kugler ... when he's not.

That's my point. It's like a when a tv show replaces it's stars and just hopes the audience doesn't notice. They tried to make the same show with different people. It didn't work. Sports talk in Nebraska has suffered since the 1620 shakeup of however long ago that was.

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

That's my point. It's like a when a tv show replaces it's stars and just hopes the audience doesn't notice. They tried to make the same show with different people. It didn't work. Sports talk in Nebraska has suffered since the 1620 shakeup of however long ago that was.

Like when "Bewitched" got a new Darrin and we're not supposed to notice.  Gotcha.  I understand your point.

But my point was that, even if you call it something else, having a show on the radio starring John Bishop is like the "Joanie Loves Chachi" of a.m. Sportstalk radio.

He's serviceable as a background character, but he's not charismatic (or funny or intelligent or witty or interesting) enough to carry his own show.

And his voice grates on you like fingernails on a chalkboard.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

What was he like on the morning show back in Lincoln? I didn't listen to it much, but I don't recall it being that difficult to listen to.

I have always been underwhelmed by his "talent."  I always thought that he was trying to keep up with the likes of John Baylor or Larry Punteney and he isn't close to being on the same page.

Big Ten basketball power rankings: Michigan's win over Spartans shakes things up

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/01/big_ten_basketball_power_ranki_20.html

5. Nebraska (14-7, 5-3)

Versatile forward Isaiah Roby makes Nebraska a tough matchup for certain teams. If the Cornhuskers hit a respectable percentage of outside shots, they’re dangerous.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:28 AM, uneblinstu said:

What was he like on the morning show back in Lincoln? I didn't listen to it much, but I don't recall it being that difficult to listen to.

I thought he was dreadful.  He thinks he's funny; he's not. He thinks he's witty; he's not. He thinks he's intelligent; he's not. He thinks he's interesting; he's not. I had to stop listening to the morning show because of him. I ended up switching to KFAB and getting the Omaha traffic reports, which were superfluous to me, but better than listening to someone not funny trying to be funny.

I called him at the station one time because he was the "news director" and he'd committed an act of journalistic malpractice.  I tried to gently explain to him that not all content from a press release by a political candidate is newsworthy if the claims therein can't be verified. Just because they make an unsubstantiated accusation about their political opponent doesn't mean you should report on it.  He got huffy with me and tried to argue, quickly realized he couldn't, and hung up on me! (Turns out some independent expenditure committee had done what the rival candidate had been blamed for so his "reporting" was, in fact, wrong.)

I didn't like him before that, though, so no skin off my back.