The Official Media Thread

Based on Miles' comments at the Big Ten media days, the theme for the year appears to be -- as it SHOULD be -- flipping the numbers on 3 point shooting, both offensively and defensively.

If we can just be AVERAGE in both of those categories, it would make a huge difference in our offensive and defensive efficiency.

And we'd win a lot more games.

Edited by Norm Peterson

Agree with you on that one Norm. Additionally, I thought it was interesting hearing both Evan and Glynn talk about the increased competitiveness of practice. Kind of confirms what a lot of the offseason talk on the board has been - much more depth, leading to more competition, leading (hopefully) to more wins!

5 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

The good news is that it won't take much to improve our 3 point shooting and 3-point defense.  So to move from where we were last year to average, would be significant.

If we just make it to mediocre in both of those categories, our offensive and defensive efficiency will improve tremendously.

In case you haven't seen it, the B1G Network has 1-hour specials going for each sports year they've been on the air this fall, as this is the network's 10th anniversary. The 2013-14 show has been on this week, and it has almost 2 minutes of highlights from No Sit Sunday plus the NU women's b-ball tournament championship. It's on a couple more times on Sunday.

Also I see the Nebraska Basketball Show is appearing on my DVR feed next week - not sure if that's accurate, as it seems a bit early to start that show, but just a heads-up in case it is accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Only listened to pieces of this so I don't know if there is anything "new" here other than Miles says "karaoke" differently than I do and Miles talked about the phenomenon of "Burno-ing".  Pretty informative...would recommend.

- Spent the first 15 talking to Greg about everything including the two scrimmages. Miles would certainly be in favor of playing multiple games for charity.

- 2nd segment: Talking about the freshmen.

• Allen is a heady kid...recognized right away how much he needs to learn.  Apparently the practices before Miss St game they threw the kitchen sink at him defensively in some scenarios which shook him up. Had a better week of practice before ISU and that helped with his confidence (and better showing). Allen isn't super quick but is smart/heady and has a good pace...thus he can get by guys and get up a shot.
  • Thorir has been adjusting to the change. They played a 5 minute game with all the younger players vs ISU and he "stole the show"
  • Nana is a phenomenal athlete, lights out shooter. Needs to work on ball skills and has to learn how to play D in our system. "His issues isn't talent...it's acclimation to the system." It seems like Nana is going to be a SG for us as Miles proceeded to list all the guys ahead of him on the depth chart at the "2"
  • Sharpe asked about redshirting but Miles really didn't answer.  He did mention that we are 11 deep right now including Allen in that group.  (I personally am starting to warm up to redshirt Nana and Thorir)

Scott (with the distinctive voice) from Lincoln asking about the chemistry.  Miles went into some detail about how the guys all hang out and stuff like that.  Currently they're undefeated and when teams inevitably lose, then you find out about the chemistry. 

Miles talks about the staff changes. Eaton is the DOBO. Teddy Owens and Brett Sapp moved on.  Starts talking about how he had to replace two assistants in one season and says "I got Burno-ed" (I almost pissed myself).  Apparently Burno will screenshot stuff that people post on twitter and send them to Miles so he can tell his side of the story. (I have tears in my eyes I'm laughing so hard) He reveals they have a good relationship and they give each other crap back and forth.

Talked about the assistants. Giving Michael more on offense. Talks about Kenya's recruiting and skill development. Does a Molinari impersonation when describing how much game tape Mo goes through "I'M 60! WHAT ELSE AM I GOING TO DO?!?!?

Sharpe brought up Moos and Miles mentioned in his 3 Div 1 jobs he's had 7 ADs, 7 football coaches, and 6 presidents. Noted Moos' extensive experience as a very important attribute. 

Final caller John in Lincoln takes a roundabout Nebraska Nice way to ask if this team is going to be any good and whether or not he should buy tickets. Miles handles it as graciously as you'd expect, noting that we just have a few hundred left and you can come in for free on the scrimmage to see for yourself.

Final notes: Our scrimmage vs Northwood, Michigan is caoched by former Husker player Jeff Rekeweg and that's why we decided to play them

Sharpe brings up Tanner, Miles notes he dropped 30 lbs, less than he weighed in middle school (I'm unsure if he's joking here).  Miles notes he's played 8-9 minutes each game, he's a serviceable guy. Sharpe: That's not coach speak, you're going to play him. Miles: I already have.

3 hours ago, hal9000 said:

At about 4:10 he talks about a lineup he used late against Iowa State that really helped them get the lead back, with Roby at the 5, Taylor at the 4, Palmer, 3, Allen and Watson the guards.  That caught my attention.  

Hahaha...there were years that line up would have been our big line up.

Dot Commentary: Who is the Big Ten basketball sleeper team?

http://btn.com/2017/11/09/dot-commentary-who-is-the-big-ten-basketball-sleeper-team/

Who is the Big Ten basketball sleeper this year? 

Dienhart: Nebraska

Last year, we saw Minnesota emerge as a sleeper team, going from eight to 24 wins and earning an NCAA tourney bid. This year, keep an eye on Nebraska. Tim Miles has one of his most talented teams yet, complete with plenty of athletic ability and length. Keys will be better defense and limiting turnovers. In the end, don’t be shocked if the Cornhuskers fight their way into the upper half of the Big Ten and earn the program’s first NCAA bid since 2014. Nebraska is led by senior guard Evan Taylor. And fellow guard Glynn Watson, Jr., who is poised to lead the team in scoring. He also needs to be a leader.

Keep an eye on Miami (Fla.) transfer guard James Palmer, Jr., along with freshman guard Thomas Allen, whom Miles is excited about. Jack McVeigh is a sweet shooter. Best of all: Georgetown transfer Isaac Copeland will be eligible right away this fall after receiving an NCAA waiver. He is a former five-star recruit who will help inside. Add it all up, and Nebraska is going to sneak up on people this season.

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

In terms of teams we finished behind last season that we could potentially finish in front of this season. 

I know what you (they) meant. I just don't buy into the notion. Last year has no relevance on this year other than in prognosticators perceptions of how good any team is.