The Official Media Thread

52 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Yikes...

Segment 5:05-8:00

John (Caller): "If we don't have a winning season this year and you're still the coach next year and we don't have a winning season, a lot of people are wanting to know would that be the end of the line for you as a coach here at Nebraska? And what do we have to look forward to in terms of recruits...?" (Crowd boos John.)

Tim Miles: "Well John, thanks for the call. You know, first of all the one thing we try and do is prepare our team for postseason play. Everything we do is geared toward that idea. So if we don't have enough wins and we end up with a losing season, frankly it wouldn't be hard to end up with a 19 win season next year or the following year. And if that's what you want your coach to do, then I am the wrong coach. So if you're looking for a guy that's scheduling in a way that's creative, bringing a national brand to Nebraska that's bringing Kansas into our own gym here again, that's trying to do things that put us on a situation to make the NCAA tournament... (trails off onto parallel topics)... I think it's just a matter of time before we turn that corner. Because we're building this thing to last, we're not just building it for one season." (crowd cheers for Miles.)

Greg Sharpe: "John, if you're not busy, come on down to Buffalo Wings and Rings. Folks would like to see you down here tonight." (Crowd loses it laughing.)

This is awesome!

KNTK - Morning Take:  Getting hot at the end of the year is exactly what Tim Miles needs / Shut Up Sipple

(21:14)

Previous years ended in duds—last year there was a decent B1G Tourney, but poor end to season. The year before that was disastrous, losing final 9 games.  A strong finish might not guarantee a great start to the next year, but it does sell the fan base on the program….

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Yikes...

Segment 5:05-8:00

John (Caller): "If we don't have a winning season this year and you're still the coach next year and we don't have a winning season, a lot of people are wanting to know would that be the end of the line for you as a coach here at Nebraska? And what do we have to look forward to in terms of recruits...?" (Crowd boos John.)

Tim Miles: "Well John, thanks for the call. You know, first of all the one thing we try and do is prepare our team for postseason play. Everything we do is geared toward that idea. So if we don't have enough wins and we end up with a losing season, frankly it wouldn't be hard to end up with a 19 win season next year or the following year. And if that's what you want your coach to do, then I am the wrong coach. So if you're looking for a guy that's scheduling in a way that's creative, bringing a national brand to Nebraska that's bringing Kansas into our own gym here again, that's trying to do things that put us on a situation to make the NCAA tournament... (trails off onto parallel topics)... I think it's just a matter of time before we turn that corner. Because we're building this thing to last, we're not just building it for one season." (crowd cheers for Miles.)

Greg Sharpe: "John, if you're not busy, come on down to Buffalo Wings and Rings. Folks would like to see you down here tonight." (Crowd loses it laughing.)

I was listening last night and absolutely loved his response to this.  It's exactly what I love about Miles - he didn't back away from the question and then explained his philosophy around scheduling and his belief in what he's doing.  I thought he nailed it.  I totally agree with the scheduling too - I'd rather be setting here talking about the quality competition we've faced and not having a great record than have a better record but have faced nobody outside the BIG.  Makes it much more fun to be a fan.

Big Red Cobcast: David McGee and Nebrasketball

Released on Feb 19, 2017

Like Ed Morrow rising from the ashes, Nebrasketball has made its return to the Big Red Cobcast. Two straight weeks actually. And who better to talk with us about Husker Hoops than Corn Nation’s very own David McGee!

I can’t recall a season for any team in any sport that’s felt as close to either end of the spectrum at any given moment. Are you a glass half injured or a glass half healthy kind of person? We discuss that with David, along with his favorite Nebrasketball moments and players (is it Shang Ping? Andre Almeida? Brian Conklin?).

• 1 month later...

Saying Goodbye to Tai Webster

Tai Webster is graduating from Nebraska. He’s leaving behind a legacy.

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/4/5/15173194/nebraska-cornhuskers-basketball-saying-goodbye-tai-webster-senior-2017

usa_today_9896138.0.jpg

Tim Miles had a special player in Tai Webster. He knew that all along. He knew if Webster developed, he’d be recognized as one of the best and well-respected guards in the Big Ten. This season, that’s exactly what happened. 

It’s often said that a head coach has done his job when he is no longer the face of the the team’s name, and instead the players are. 

Tai Webster is Nebraska Basketball.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Molinari on the Sports Nightly

Starting at the 9:45 mark

The biggest things were

• Mo mentioned "we'll probably do leadership by committee" when talking about filling the void left by Webster
  • Talked about trying to get Glynn Watson to up his verbalization/leadership game. Mentioned Palmer, Copeland, and especially Jordy as having verbal skills.
  • Copeland and Palmer will bring wingspan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that video, TToY4.

I don't want to sound too critical, because I'm no expert, but I think he needs to break the habit of dropping the ball to his waist on catch-and-shoot situations.  That's a half second extra time for a defender to close out on him and prevent or effect the shot.

I also think he needs to get his left hand forward on the ball so that his left elbow doesn't wing out.  Makes a difference for example, and you can see in the video, when he curls around the screen going to his left and takes a shot.  Takes more time for him to get square when he brings that left elbow out than if he would just rotate clockwise with the left elbow in and the left hand forward on the ball (left thumb being the top of the "T" with the right thumb).  And, at this level, that half second extra time coming square could mean the difference between having a shot and not having a shot.

Edited by Norm Peterson

29 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, if you were teaching it, would you adopt the Lonzo Ball method or the Kobe Bryant technique?

If it's going in the hole, I'm not too worried about the technique. :) 

(cue @cipsucks for the Standhardinger quip)

36 minutes ago, 49r said:

If it's going in the hole, I'm not too worried about the technique. :) 

(cue @cipsucks for the Standhardinger quip)

Define "going in the hole."  Is that "regularly" or is it "every now and then"?  Lonzo Ball shot 41.2% from three; Isaiah shot 20%.  If Isaiah was at 41.2%, I don't think anyone would want to fuss too much with his technique.

The old saw is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Twenty percent is not "ain't broke."

So, back to the question:  If you're working on developing someone's shooting ability, are you going with the Lonzo Ball method or the Kobe Bryant technique?

On 5/30/2017 at 6:50 PM, Thattimeofyear4 said:

So, I'm curious, how does this work? Do the coaches give the player things to work on? Do they communicate directly with the independent coach? Does NU help arrange that sort of thing or are this a guys he's worked with for years growing up?

Isaiah has been working with him since high school I'm under the impression at exit or end of the yr they talk with coaches and get direction to go in to try and get better but Idk that for sure

So, I'm curious, how does this work? Do the coaches give the player things to work on? Do they communicate directly with the independent coach? Does NU help arrange that sort of thing or are this a guys he's worked with for years growing up?

Isaiah has been working with him since high school