Kenya Hunter Hired as New Asst.

Hooper

I still don't believe this is actually happening to Husker basketball.

Yes you do, nustudent.  I remember the day Miles was hired.  You and I were very excited about the new hire. (We weren't alone, but we didn't have a lot of company, either.)  I posted happy, upbeat music videos celebrating the change in head coaches.  Others on this board posted somber music videos to reflect their feelings about the new coach.

Yep.  It's a good time to be a Husker basketball fan.  :)

From Dirk's Mad Chatter column:

>> Considering momentum in the program and that fancy, new spaceship-looking building in downtown Lincoln, Tim Miles will never have a better opportunity to sign a big-time recruiting class. If he can’t do it in 2014, he never will.

Well, luring the top assistant from John Thompson’s bench at Georgetown is a good start. Miles announced this morning that he hired Kenya Hunter to be his top assistant — and presumably top recruiter. It sent minor shock waves around the hoops landscape.

“Simply put,” CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish writes, “this is not your grandfather’s Nebraska. Or your father’s Nebraska. Or even your older brother’s Nebraska.”

The Huskers will likely shift some recruiting resources to the East Coast, where Hunter has experience. Which means Miles and Greg McDermott may be eating meals together in Philly, D.C. and New York. I recommend Carnegie Deli, guys.

Who's this McDermott you speak of? Is he the coach who hires his assistants from the Midland women's program via the Bellevue West girls team? That's funny. Coach Miles just takes assistants from Georgetown. Good luck, Creighton. Good luck assistant coach whatever your name is. I hope you're able to take everything you learned in the high school girls and NAIA women's ranks and parlay that into some nice Big East American big boy league recruits. Or whatever they are calling it.

Yes you do, nustudent.  I remember the day Miles was hired.  You and I were very excited about the new hire. (We weren't alone, but we didn't have a lot of company, either.)  I posted happy, upbeat music videos celebrating the change in head coaches.  Others on this board posted somber music videos to reflect their feelings about the new coach.

Cip, you must not remember the day Miles was hired as well as you think you do.  Because you started your "happy" video thread on March 9.  That's actually not the day Miles was hired.  Actually, that's the same day Doc Sadler was fired.  Kind of a different thing, actually.  Not the same.  But close.  In a dissimilar sort of way.

But, don't take my word for it.  Here's a link:  http://huskerhoopscentral.activeboard.com/t48203626/the-happy-thread/

(Give you credit, though, at least it was a sort of basketball-related post.)

>> Considering momentum in the program and that fancy, new spaceship-looking building in downtown Lincoln, Tim Miles will never have a better opportunity to sign a big-time recruiting class. If he can’t do it in 2014, he never will.

Well, luring the top assistant from John Thompson’s bench at Georgetown is a good start. Miles announced this morning that he hired Kenya Hunter to be his top assistant — and presumably top recruiter. It sent minor shock waves around the hoops landscape.

“Simply put,” CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish writes, “this is not your grandfather’s Nebraska. Or your father’s Nebraska. Or even your older brother’s Nebraska.”

The Huskers will likely shift some recruiting resources to the East Coast, where Hunter has experience. Which means Miles and Greg McDermott may be eating meals together in Philly, D.C. and New York. I recommend Carnegie Deli, guys.

Who's this McDermott you speak of? Is he the coach who hires his assistants from the Midland women's program via the Bellevue West girls team? That's funny. Coach Miles just takes assistants from Georgetown. Good luck, Creighton. Good luck assistant coach whatever your name is. I hope you're able to take everything you learned in the high school girls and NAIA women's ranks and parlay that into some nice Big East American big boy league recruits. Or whatever they are calling it.
You're thinking of the WBB hire. The new men's assistant was hired from Hofstra via UConn.

It's annoying that Dirk has to reference both programs any time that either program has some good news.

Really, when you think about it, why wouldn't someone like Hunter, who has seen his conference (Big East) erode into a mixture of leftovers and mid-majors from what was once an elite league, want to move up to the BIG LEAGUES!

Have to love that this whole staff knows x's & o's.  IF Miles would get it going & eventually leave, lots of great minds on this staff, who all can recruit.

That was the thing about prior staffs (even back to Nee's) there was little quality coaching on the bench.  I mean are any of Doc's assts still in coaching D-1 (other than Benford)?

Barry didn't have much on the bench either & other than Spinilli I can't think of one that's still at a major program.

Nee's best years was when he had both Jeff Smith & Gary Bargen on staff.  Both those guys knew x's & o's.

Really love this staff. Just need to fill the roster out & make sure Webster gets eligible.

To their credit they hired Patrick Sellers who was one of the ace recruiters for UConn's national championship team.  Probably as big a hire for them as this was for us.

I have to assume this is good for us, but I don't think we can make too much out of it just yet since the reports from the folks at Georgetown are that Hunter had been replaced and was out of work as of June 5.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2013/6/5/4400004/georgetown-hoyas-tavaras-hardy-assistant-coach

Do you really think that Nebraska announced the new assistant coaching hire to the public on June 10, without knowing about it within the department for a little while now, or at least having a pretty good idea that Kenya Hunter was the guy?

Miles said in an interview today that he had a pretty good idea that Hunter was the guy back in mid-May...

To their credit they hired Patrick Sellers who was one of the ace recruiters for UConn's national championship team.  Probably as big a hire for them as this was for us.

Sellers was at UCONN previously, but he was at Hofstra when Creighton hired him.  While they both may be good hires, it is a much bigger accomplishment for Nebraska to take an assistant directly from Georgetown, than it is for Creighton to take an assistant directly from Hofstra.  Hunter was the longest-tenured assistant under Georgetown head coach John Thompson III.

You're thinking of the WBB hire. The new men's assistant was hired from Hofstra via UConn.

It's annoying that Dirk has to reference both programs any time that either program has some good news.

Oh okay. Got my men's and women's basketball mixed up again! Hate it when I do that!

Not that surprising.  He wants to continue to coach in the best of leagues.  Big 10 far better than watered down new league Georgetown will be playing in. 

Georgetown apparently hired Hunter's replacement last week:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/statuses/342476419923841024

(I don't know what that means, just thought it was interesting)

I have to assume this is good for us, but I don't think we can make too much out of it just yet since the reports from the folks at Georgetown are that Hunter had been replaced and was out of work as of June 5.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2013/6/5/4400004/georgetown-hoyas-tavaras-hardy-assistant-coach

Do you really think that Nebraska announced the new assistant coaching hire to the public on June 10, without knowing about it within the department for a little while now, or at least having a pretty good idea that Kenya Hunter was the guy?

Miles said in an interview today that he had a pretty good idea that Hunter was the guy back in mid-May...

I hope that's the case.  Just saying it doesn't appear that Hoya fans are that upset about his departure.  Maybe I'm just jaded after years of "the next great player/coach" with NU hoops.that I don't see it being that big of a deal.

I hope that's the case.  Just saying it doesn't appear that Hoya fans are that upset about his departure.  Maybe I'm just jaded after years of "the next great player/coach" with NU hoops.that I don't see it being that big of a deal.

--It's a big deal, because it's evidence that the athletic department is 100% committed to basketball for the first time in my lifetime, paying him $230,000 to come to Nebraska (in addition to all of the other assistants being paid at least $200,000).

--It's a big deal, because Nebraska took a coach directly from Georgetown

--It's a big deal, because of his incredible recruiting ties in the DMV

--It's a big deal, because of his history of developing talent for the NBA

--It's a big deal, because national columnists are talking about Nebraska basketball in June

--It's a big deal, because if Tim Miles can recruit Kenya Hunter to come to Nebraska from Georgetown, then there is no doubt in my mind that he can recruit some high profile players to Nebraska as well.

That might be true, but the article you posted doesn't say that.  The couple of articles I've read would lead me to conclude that Hunter, having the longest tenure on the G'town staff, would start looking elsewhere if Broadus were promoted to associate head coach over him (after the departure of some other guy.)  That looks to be what happened.  It's entirely possible that Hunter himself initiated the process and "gave his notice" or whatever. 

You might be right but I haven't seen anything yet that confirmed one way or the other whether Hunter was out of a job before Nebraska made him an offer.  Meanwhile, I'm going to look at it as a good thing:  We poached an assistant from G'town.  That doesn't happen everyday.  Now, let's steal their girlfriend.  And some of their recruits.  ;)

Shatel: NU hoops hiring is another statement
Column by Tom Shatel / World-Herald Sports Columnist

In honor of the Final Four coming to Omaha this week — Louisville, Indiana, UCLA and N.C. State (North Carolina, too?) — let’s pause to consider something truly historic.

Nebraska basketball lured a top assistant coach from Georgetown.

Kenya Hunter might be the most important assistant hire Husker Hoops has ever made. The six-year Georgetown vet is certainly the most accomplished, also having coached at Xavier and N.C. State.

Building a practice facility and new arena are one thing. Targeting and landing a big-time recruiter like Hunter is another. It’s the third major piece of the puzzle.

This is another sign, and the one you weren’t sure could happen, that NU is serious about hoops. According to Gary Parrish of cbssports.com, Hunter’s salary will be $230,000.

The flip side of this is that someone else out there is taking Husker Hoops seriously. Maybe it was time for Georgetown to shake up its staff, but a guy like Hunter could have gone a lot of places. For him to consider that he could help his career at NU says something.

Recruits may look at a guy like Hunter and wonder. Why would he leave G-Town for Lincoln? Maybe they find out.

In any case, I’ve had out-of-town writers come to the College World Series complaining about all the football recruiting in the news around here in June.

Not anymore. We’re a basketball state.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130610/HUSKERS/706109916/1002#shatel-nu-hoops-hiring-is-another-statement

In honor of the Final Four coming to Omaha this week — Louisville, Indiana, UCLA and N.C. State (North Carolina, too?) — let’s pause to consider something truly historic.

Kenya Hunter might be the most important assistant hire Husker Hoops has ever made. The six-year Georgetown vet is certainly the most accomplished, also having coached at Xavier and N.C. State.

Building a practice facility and new arena are one thing. Targeting and landing a big-time recruiter like Hunter is another. It’s the third major piece of the puzzle.

This is another sign, and the one you weren’t sure could happen, that NU is serious about hoops. According to Gary Parrish of cbssports.com, Hunter’s salary will be $230,000.

The flip side of this is that someone else out there is taking Husker Hoops seriously. Maybe it was time for Georgetown to shake up its staff, but a guy like Hunter could have gone a lot of places. For him to consider that he could help his career at NU says something.

Recruits may look at a guy like Hunter and wonder. Why would he leave G-Town for Lincoln? Maybe they find out.

In any case, I’ve had out-of-town writers come to the College World Series complaining about all the football recruiting in the news around here in June.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130610/HUSKERS/706109916/1002#shatel-nu-hoops-hiring-is-another-statement

I don't think I've seen this much misplaced hyperbolic enthusiasm since reading Sip's column about landing Keith Coleman.  Yeah, it's exciting but pump the brakes here...you're creeping out the regulars.

We landed an assistant from Georgetown because the Huskers put a bunch of money into facilities and the coaching staff/Miles.  These are the moves we should be making.

Basketball state?  That's just to sell papers.

Cip, you must not remember the day Miles was hired as well as you think you do.  Because you started your "happy" video thread on March 9.  That's actually not the day Miles was hired.  Actually, that's the same day Doc Sadler was fired.  Kind of a different thing, actually.  Not the same.  But close.  In a dissimilar sort of way.

But, don't take my word for it.  Here's a link:  http://huskerhoopscentral.activeboard.com/t48203626/the-happy-thread/

I believe nustudent's initial reaction was "meh"  :D

http://huskerhoopscentral.activeboard.com/t48409873/miles-on-campus/

To his credit, he warmed pretty quickly...but it wasn't all hearts and rainbows in the Devaney Dungeon at first...

I don't think I've seen this much misplaced hyperbolic enthusiasm since reading Sip's column about landing Keith Coleman.  Yeah, it's exciting but pump the brakes here...you're creeping out the regulars.

We landed an assistant from Georgetown because the Huskers put a bunch of money into facilities and the coaching staff/Miles.  These are the moves we should be making.

Basketball state?  That's just to sell papers.

I'm pretty sure Shatel's "Basketball State" comment was tongue-in-cheek.  I seriously doubt that he believes that.

I believe nustudent's initial reaction was "meh"   :D

http://huskerhoopscentral.activeboard.com/t48409873/miles-on-campus/

To his credit, he warmed pretty quickly...but it wasn't all hearts and rainbows in the Devaney Dungeon at first...

Yep, cip remembers very, very well the day Miles was hired.  It was a sunny day in November.  The Giants had just won the penant and Lance Armstrong was just finishing up his 5th Tour de France victory.  Cip specifically remembers he and nustudent were both very excited about the hire.  Feeling in a celebratory mood, Cip opened a jar of his favorite salsa (or maybe it was a jar of mushrooms) and began posting happy music videos on the internet.  Just because.  About then, the white knight started talking backwards and the red queen's off with her head ...