Trivia Question:

Throughout the season, we talked about Shavon Shields being one of the best freshmen we've had come along since ... a long time ago.  Yet, as good as he was for us, he still didn't make the conference all-freshman team.  There was a year, however, within my lifetime, where MULTIPLE Husker men's basketball players were honored on the conference all-freshman team.

A little twist:  Can you name all the players who were honored that year, not just the Husker players?

OK, I gave the board a few hours.  Now, let's take a stroll down memory lane.  The year was 1992.

Erick Strickland

Jaron Boone

Andre Woolridge

Terrence Badgett

All from Nebraska.  All named to the Big 8 All Freshmen Team.

Ryan Minor from Oklahoma was the 5th player on the Freshman squad.

Freshman of the year -- Erick Strickland.

Ryan Minor makes my "Most Hated Players" 1st team.

Minor also has one other dubious distinction in his athletic career.  What is it?

On September 20, 1998, Ryan Minor replaced Cal Ripken in the Orioles starting lineup, ending Ripkin's streak of consecutive games played.  

I looked it up on wikipedia, so I didn't want to spoil it for everyone and try to act like some kind of know-it-all, but yeah...that's pretty dubious.

In his defense though, SOMEbody had to be that guy.  :)

...oh the memories of that recruiting class.  Norm, there was another top Nebraska HS player that year who ended up leaving Hastings NE and going to Baylor.  Name him...

By the way, the year that Woolridge and company were seniors in HS, was one of the best State Tournaments ever.

OK, I gave the board a few hours.  Now, let's take a stroll down memory lane.  The year was 1992.

Erick Strickland

Jaron Boone

Andre Woolridge

Terrence Badgett

Minor also has one other dubious distinction in his athletic career.  What is it?

Woolridge was on the all-freshman team?  Wow!  I don't remember his freshman campaign being all that special (maybe it's just me thinking it had to be that way as the reason he transferred).

Good stuff, Norm!

Im only 22 so the 2 guys that come to me are Maric and McCray as freshman. I know McCray was on the all-freshman team but not sure on Maric. I know he had decent numbers as a freshman though.

If you're 22 and your username is Polish Rifle, then your parents done good.

Thank you sir, my father passed down the nebrasketball gene to me.

...oh the memories of that recruiting class.  Norm, there was another top Nebraska HS player that year who ended up leaving Hastings NE and going to Baylor.  Name him...

By the way, the year that Woolridge and company were seniors in HS, was one of the best State Tournaments ever.

Doug Brandt from Hastings went to Baylor and did quite well.  Joe Vogel from North Platte went to Colorado State and did well.  Both were 6'10" and skilled post players.  Danny didn't recruit either of them because he said they basically weren't good enough for us.  (Heard him say this on his radio show.)  A couple of years later, though, we had a severe shortage of big men and could really have used a Doug Brandt or a Joe Vogel.

I'll take the pressure off of Norm.  Doug Phelps

Um, close.  Very close.  It was actually Digger Phelps.  He wanted to go to Notre Dame.  But, for some reason, the coach there wouldn't recruit him.  ;)

Um, close.  Very close.  It was actually Digger Phelps.  He wanted to go to Notre Dame.  But, for some reason, the coach there wouldn't recruit him.  ;)

No, no, no Norm, Digger hired Danny as his young recruiter... :rolleyes:

He was on the swimming team.....

Erick Strickland

Jaron Boone

Andre Woolridge

Terrence Badgett

OK Norm, you're going to have to explain why Minor makes your 'Most Hated Players' 1st team or maybe qualify how someone makes the list.  The reason I ask is Minor wasn't someone who seemed to draw the ire of the opposing fan base nor did he kill you on the court.  Good player, but not someone you love to 'hate' IMO.  For me, the captain of the most hated player 1st team has to be Jason Sutherland of Missouri, mainly because the guy was a jerk.  The only other player that comes to mind is Anthony Peeler, mainly because he killed us practically every time we played Mizzou.  Otherwise, I'm having a tough time coming up with opposing players that I really didn't care for.  Michael Beasley would be another, but we only had to deal with him for a season.

Minor was a cocky f___.  I just remember his whole attitude bugged the hell out of me.  One time playing OU, they were on a bit of a run and our players huddled during a dead ball and he basically walked into our huddle like he was a part of it and the Nebraska players had to literally push him away.  He walked out of there with this cocky, sh__-eating grin on his face.  At that particular point in the game, it was not a good time for him to be acting like a horse's ass but that's what he was doing.  I did not like the guy.