Is anyone else not looking forward to dealing with fair weather fans?

PimpMario

For more than the past decade I have felt like I was part of a special secret society.  I felt proud to be a hardcore Nebrasketball fan.  And everytime the stadium would fill up I would be mad that my concourses were full because the weather was nice or KU was in town.

I will be happy when we are good but I will feel a little resentment towards the fair weather fans.  

I always kind of took the position that the fewer people who showed up, the easier it would be to find parking.  And I always did kind of resent that the better we were doing, the less likely my secret spot would be available to me. 

I agree with you Pimp.  I probably will resent it a little bit.  Especially when they have much better seats than me.  ;)  But maybe if we have some success, they'll come and get hooked like I did.

Here's a confession.  I went to games sporadically in the 70s and 80s.  I always bought a ticket for the Ameritas Classic and had a great time watching the "B" game.  I miss that deal.  And I would buy single-game tickets to some of the conference games during that time period.

But I was NOT a season ticket holder until '91-'92.  You know why I got season tickets?  Because we had just had a hell of a year and we had Strickland, Boone and Woolridge coming in and Piatkowski and some others coming back.  And that's when I said we gotta get season tickets for hoops.  And I've had them ever since.  And now I am the diehard you know me to be. 

Rarely if ever do I miss a home game.  Through thick and thin.  Mostly thin.  I am one of those 5,000 people who always showed up for the non-conference games during the Collier and Sadler eras.

Maybe there are some more Norm Petersons and Pimp Marios out there who are waiting to get hooked and will get hooked once Miles provides them a reason to come see what the Huskers have going on.

we have to start winning before there can be consistent attendance of fair weather fans. The home court advantage is not as strong without those fair weather fans.

Not necessarilly.  We've got an opportunity for a perfect storm with the arena opening combined the better than expected 2012-13  that could produce that attendance before the product on the floor actually warrants it.  If this team is playing well at the end of the season, it should have significant carry-over to 2014-15.

I always kind of took the position that the fewer people who showed up, the easier it would be to find parking.  And I always did kind of resent that the better we were doing, the less likely my secret spot would be available to me. 

I agree with you Pimp.  I probably will resent it a little bit.  Especially when they have much better seats than me.  ;)  But maybe if we have some success, they'll come and get hooked like I did.

Here's a confession.  I went to games sporadically in the 70s and 80s.  I always bought a ticket for the Ameritas Classic and had a great time watching the "B" game.  I miss that deal.  And I would buy single-game tickets to some of the conference games during that time period.

But I was NOT a season ticket holder until '91-'92.  You know why I got season tickets?  Because we had just had a hell of a year and we had Strickland, Boone and Woolridge coming in and Piatkowski and some others coming back.  And that's when I said we gotta get season tickets for hoops.  And I've had them ever since.  And now I am the diehard you know me to be. 

Rarely if ever do I miss a home game.  Through thick and thin.  Mostly thin.  I am one of those 5,000 people who always showed up for the non-conference games during the Collier and Sadler eras.

Maybe there are some more Norm Petersons and Pimp Marios out there who are waiting to get hooked and will get hooked once Miles provides them a reason to come see what the Huskers have going on.

Not a bad point, maybe we can hook some more people.

We really do have a great core of hardcore fans.  Maybe the best in the country.  Who else could get 8000 people to come to a team who never finishes in the top half of their conference and has never won an NCAA team.

I already know its going to bug the shit out of me.

Me too, I hope for success but want to be like where was everybody during the bad times?  I've been a fan since 93 and have stuck with it since.  I always hated when they won a big game and everyone started talking and I wanted to be like where have you been all these years?  Can you name a starting player?  Oh well, it's bound to happen

We really do have a great core of hardcore fans.  Maybe the best in the country.  Who else could get 8000 people to come to a team who never finishes in the top half of their conference and has never won an NCAA team.

Agree, agree, agree.....I try to make this point as often as I can.    For how average we have been for so long, we really do have a pretty doggone decent following of loyal fans.

we have to start winning before there can be consistent attendance of fair weather fans. The home court advantage is not as strong without those fair weather fans.

Not necessarilly.  We've got an opportunity for a perfect storm with the arena opening combined the better than expected 2012-13  that could produce that attendance before the product on the floor actually warrants it.  If this team is playing well at the end of the season, it should have significant carry-over to 2014-15.

I like the way you put that ...."perfect storm".   I agree, this is a huge opportunity for Huskers hoops to really capitalize.

I like the way you put that ...."perfect storm".   I agree, this is a huge opportunity for Huskers hoops to really capitalize.

And that perfect storm would best be concluded with a top 5 B1G finish and a Big Dance victory celebration!! The more, the merrier  B)

I'm going to have to start waiting in line for games, aren't I?

If you do not have season tickets...I hope the time comes soon when the non season ticket holders will be waiting in line at the bar to view games on tv...but probably not as soon as next year.

If we ever get very good, a Bball ticket will be harder to score than football tickets, due to the # differences....I hope I live to see that day!     Soon.

Seeing this type of transition was sure fun in the 60' and 70's for football...in the later 90's and 00's to a lesser extent for baseball...it's time to do it again.

If you do not have season tickets...I hope the time comes soon when the non season ticket holders will be waiting in line at the bar to view games on tv...but probably not as soon as next year.

If we ever get very good, a Bball ticket will be harder to score than football tickets, due to the # differences....I hope I live to see that day!     Soon.

Seeing this type of transition was sure fun in the 60' and 70's for football...in the later 90's and 00's to a lesser extent for baseball...it's time to do it again.

We used to wait at the doors all the time and then there would be a mad rush to the floor and our choice seats.  The bigger the game the longer the wait.  Classes played havoc with the waiting period though, so it paid to have a group and then members of the group could somewhat come and go depending upon the class schedules.

That all said...it will be interesting to see how the city of Lincoln and our fine police force treat those that may want to camp out and hold their places in line.  It is one thing to pitch a tent on a campus lawn, it is quite another to find a confortable spot in the middle of the winter on a city sidewalk.  :)

What I'm hearing is that with so many season tickets already sold and so much time left until next season the university is expecting 99% of the arena seats sold as season tickets. They may hold 100-200 tickets back to be sold on a game to game basis.

Me too, I hope for success but want to be like where was everybody during the bad times?  I've been a fan since 93 and have stuck with it since.  I always hated when they won a big game and everyone started talking and I wanted to be like where have you been all these years?  Can you name a starting player?  Oh well, it's bound to happen

There are some of us that would consider YOU a bandwagon jumper, just sayin'  :)

Yeah a lot of  you guys are bandwagoners compared to some of us.  :P

Started going to games when I was 4 in 1965.

Just kidding.  Don't mind the more the merrier, just act like you have at least seen this team play in the last 5 years is all I ask of the newbies.

But will most likely have to roll my eyes a couple of times with the people who haven't earned their stripes yet.

this thread is pretty amazing to read.  At some point, we all becames die-hard fans for various reasons.  I've been a season ticket holder since the 90's and have sat through many, many, many, many, many bad seasons and I'm still there every game.  That doesn't make me upset for people that are just buying season tickets now as it just make me appreciate the hopefully good basketball days that are ahead.  People didn't resent me when I became a season ticket holder so not sure why I would resent anyone from wanting to become one now.  I hope we pack the PBA every game as it's a much better atmosphere with a big crowd.

My concern with fair weather fans is the hype that breeds them.  I'm afraid that excitement may bring unrealistic expectations.  I don't want to see fans turned off if this season doesn't go as well as they think it should.

Otherwise, be careful hoppin' on!

I would have season tickets if I were not 5 hours away and have two kids in college right now.  Growing up I enjoyed getting to watch Cip and his loud sports jackets roam the sidelines, remember thinking the Bob would be the answer to getting over the hump.  Drove from Kearney to watch the Huskers earn an NIT trip to New York.  Really hoped Barry and or Doc would get us over the hump.  Was not thrilled when TO announced Miles as our new coach (this view has changed big time).  I really think good things are coming and coming soon!