"Slowest game in the world." Izzo, Dawkins call for a shorter shot clock. What do YOU think???

49r

Shot Clock  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen with the shot clock

• Nothing. The 35 second clock is fine as it is.
    • Change it to 30 seconds like the women's game.
    • Adopt FIBA rules for the shot clock - 24 seconds
    • Adopt NBA rules fot the shot clock - 24 seconds

EYEON College Basketball:  Tom Izzo asks that college basketball shorten its shot clock

“One of the guys I have great respect for, Johnny Dawkins, who is at Stanford, and we were in our meetings the other day, and he said, ‘We have the slowest game in the world,'” Izzo said. “As you say, the international is less, the pro is less, the women's is less. And here we are with 35."

See the differences in rules below:

SHOT CLOCK – TIME ALLOWED TO SHOOT
FIBA: 24 seconds.
NBA: 24 seconds.
WNBA: 30 seconds.
NCAA Men: 35 seconds. NCAA Women: 30 seconds.

SHOT CLOCK – OPERATION
FIBA:
▼ When play resumes with less than full amount on shot clock (e.g., defense taps ball out-of-bounds), shot clock does not start until team establishes control inbounds.
▼ Shot clock is reset after most fouls (personal or technical).
Exception:
- Shot clock is not reset on a double foul or an alternating possession situation when the same team retains possession.

NBA, WNBA:
▼ When play resumes with less than full amount on shot clock, shot clock starts with the first touch in-bounds.
▼ The shot clock is reset to 24 seconds on most personal fouls and defensive violations in backcourt (e.g., kicking or punching ball).
Exceptions:
- The shot clock remains the same as when play was interrupted or is reset to 14 seconds (whichever is greater) when (1) a personal foul occurs and the throw-in will be in the frontcourt, (2) a jump ball occurs and is retained by the offensive team as the result of a held ball caused by the defense, (3) a defensive 3-second violation or kicked/punched ball violation occurs in the frontcourt, (4) a defensive technical foul or delay of game warning occurs, (5) a flagrant or punching foul is called.

- The shot clock is not reset when the offensive team commits a technical foul.

NCAA:
▼ When play resumes with less than full amount on shot clock, shot clock starts with the first touch inbounds.
▼ The shot clock is reset after most fouls (personal or technical).
Exceptions:
- The shot clock is not reset on a double foul or an alternating possession situation when the same team retains possession.

- The shot clock is not reset when the offensive team commits a technical foul.

Keep it the same.  Making it less would just favor the places where recruiting is much easier. 

If they go to 24 seconds, I have two choice aisle seats in club seating which will be available.   That's not even watchable. 

Keep it the same.  Making it less would just favor the places where recruiting is much easier. 

If they go to 24 seconds, I have two choice aisle seats in club seating which will be available.   That's not even watchable. 

Have you been watching the game the way it's been the past few years?  I'd hardly call what it is now exactly...stimulating.

Have you been watching the game the way it's been the past few years?  I'd hardly call what it is now exactly...stimulating.

But that's due to the officating:  allowing the two step hop by post players, and the physical play, IMO, not because we have a 35 second shot.  If they change it, 30 seconds would be much better than 24.  24 would just have a post feed and hold, and some two man game, but no real offense.  And it would heavily favor the more talented teams. 

I agree as think 30 second shot clock would be preferred over current time limit and 24 shot clock.  I would love to see it go to 30 seconds.  And while we are making changes, let's eliminate a timeout and go to 4 instead of 5.  Or if not, then make all 5 timeout just 30 second timeouts and not have full timeouts anymore.

I agree as think 30 second shot clock would be preferred over current time limit and 24 shot clock.  I would love to see it go to 30 seconds.  And while we are making changes, let's eliminate a timeout and go to 4 instead of 5.  Or if not, then make all 5 timeout just 30 second timeouts and not have full timeouts anymore.

I think I just heard  a TV exec have a heart attack with those ideas.

Mine Gott!  Mon Dieu!  Dios Mio!  If we change to a shorter shot clock, can you imagine how much people will complain that we just pass the ball around the perimeter until there's only 5 seconds left on the shot clock and then jack up a bad shot at the buzzer?  If you think the complaining is bad with a 35 second clock, just watch what happens if they switch to a shorter clock.  I'm against it.

I am with HB on this one.  The shot clock is "at best" a symptom of the overall diagnosis.  It is not the cause of the problem.  I am not necessarily bashing on the state of refereeing, but I am critical of how games are officiated.  Before changing rules to tweak the game, how about we simply call the game as the rules call for, rather than the loosey goosey interpretation that overruns the game today. 

There's no way the shot clock is the cause of the problem.  We used to score more points when there was a 45-second clock.  If cutting the shot clock leads to higher scoring, shouldn't scoring be up already? 

Focus on officiating and the problem will be solved.

The only time the shot clock is a big deal is when coaches like Bo Ryan and yes, Doc Sadler, have the offenses stand around and hold the ball for the entire shot clock (I know Miles did that some last year too).  Truth is, most schools don't use much of the clock anyway. 

Personally, I think this is a way for Izzo to complain about Wisconsin without having to name them. 

The only time the shot clock is a big deal is when coaches like Bo Ryan and yes, Doc Sadler, have the offenses stand around and hold the ball for the entire shot clock (I know Miles did that some last year too).  Truth is, most schools don't use much of the clock anyway. 

Personally, I think this is a way for Izzo to complain about Wisconsin without having to name them. 

So then who's Dawkins complaining about...without naming them?  Arizona State?  Washington???  After all it's Dawkins' thoughts....Izzo's just the one that got interviewed here.

I don't think  a 24 second shot clock would solve the lack of offense.  I think it would make it worse.  It would cause more bad shots because of less time to set up offense.  If they want to truly make offense better, then eliminate some of the things that the defense does to give them and advantage(hand checking, bumping in the post, etc). 

There's no way the shot clock is the cause of the problem.  We used to score more points when there was a 45-second clock.  If cutting the shot clock leads to higher scoring, shouldn't scoring be up already? 

Focus on officiating and the problem will be solved.

Officiating, yes.  And skill development -- what Miles was talking about with AAU kids playing too many games and not developing skills enough.  I think it's probably multi-factorial why we have lower scoring games than we used to, but the shot clock isn't among the problems.   Plenty of other things to address first.

That AAU discussion we were having the other day in response to Miles' comments about AAU kids playing too many games and not practicing enough reminds me of another discussion I was having with a parent about select baseball.  It actually seems to be pretty pervasive in youth sports that the business model is to play a lotta lotta games and focus on the games rather than on the practices.  And the problem is that skill development has suffered.

As I understand it, Omaha high school baseball used to kick Lincoln's rear because they had select baseball up there first.  And Lincoln's response was to start developing some select teams to match Omaha in the youth sports arms race.  Since then, "select" teams have just proliferated.  Popped up all over the place.  And this has done a couple of things:  it has diluted the talent base of the kids, spreading the better players among more and more teams so that each squad has fewer truly "select" players; and it has diluted the quality of the coaching as well because you have to dig deeper into the bin to find enough coaches to coach all these teams that have come into existence.

And, instead of following the Wooden approach, they seem to have decided more games is better.  More tournaments; tournaments every weekend; gotta keep up with the Joneses.  Therefore you have 12-year-old kids playing 80 games in a summer.  And reinforcing bad habits, which subsequent coaches don't want to mess with.  You get the "it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it goes in" philosophy that I've seen expressed about basketball technique.  And if a kid hits reasonably well even though he's swinging at crap at his eye level or, worse yet, if a pitcher can throw heat and keep it down no matter that he has horrible mechanics, well, you just reap what you've sown, right?  Because what worked in select ball isn't necessarily going to work as you get to the next level and the level after that.

So, I can see how AAU ball can harm a kid's development.  Especially when you hear Kamdy talking about how they don't even play defense until the last 5 minutes of the game.  Or you have some really highly ranked players who take off not just a play here or there or a minute here or there but basically check out an entire game.  And then, instead of looking at the dirty underbelly of what the problem really is (because a guy like Izzo has benefitted from that dirty underbelly), we start blaming an inanimate object like a shot clock.  That's the problem -- the shot clock.  Yeah.

Reminds me of when Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa were locked in a race to see if they could beat Roger Maris's home run record.  And serious sports journalists were writing serious news articles about whether baseballs were being made out of springier cork than in years past.  That the balls were somehow "juiced."  Yeah, it's the baseballs on juice.  Uh huh.  <_<   Yeah, let's blame the shot clock for why we have low scoring games.  The shot clock won't get offended.

Mine Gott!  Mon Dieu!  Dios Mio!  If we change to a shorter shot clock, can you imagine how much people will complain that we just pass the ball around the perimeter until there's only 5 seconds left on the shot clock and then jack up a bad shot at the buzzer?  If you think the complaining is bad with a 35 second clock, just watch what happens if they switch to a shorter clock.  I'm against it.

Norm while I have no issues with the 35 second clock, reducing it to 24 or 30 (if a change were made this would be my choice) would mean one or two less passes out front while NOT looking at the basket that would lull me to sleep. 

One and done. Surprisingly, teams made up of freshmen no matter how gifted are not as adept at putting the ball in the hole as teams of talented seniors used to be. How may of Oklahoma's players would have been there the years they were averaging over 100 points a game. Tisdale, Grant, Grace, King, Blaylock, etc. (probably misspelled half of them).  College coaches used to have time to coach them up. Then the NCAA took away a ton of practice time and allowed freshmen to leave after that year and we are surprised that teams don't score as much? It's not rocket science. Clocks don't teach fundamentals and some NBA coaches were the best at it (Hubie Brown) and some because of the 82 game schedule don't spend much time on individual workouts at all during the season so NBA play has suffered because of the one and done as well.

Sold HB, I will even let you sit next to me and I'll buy you a beer every so often once they start serving it.

I would need lots of beer to make that watchable. Plus I think it would generally mean fewer Ws for the good guys.  But beer cures most everything, so I would take you up on it every once in awhile. 

TV Timeouts or media timeouts are killing the game for a spectator. I wish Coaches would realize when they are beat and call off all of the fouling to stop the clock at the end of the game. The clock does not need to stop in the last minute of play. Games are too long, not necessarily too slow. Maybe a 30 second clock but not 24. But remember, the women don't have a time line at midcourt.