News around the B1G

Row6Seat10

Minnesota: Rachel Banham the Golpher's reigning B1G Freshman of the year, has not yet been cleared to play after suffering a blood clot in her lung. Scary stuff. Rachel Benham still sidelined by blood clot

Michigan St: In September it was announced sophomore Kiana Johnson and redshirt freshman Akyah Taylor will be suspended for the first nine games of Michigan State’s upcoming season for violation of NCAA guidelines related to receipt of extra benefits. Before the violation was announced Johnson was named team captain. They have since stripped her of her title. Two MSU woman's basketball players suspended 9 games

Michigan State coach Suzy Merchant frustrated but optimistic

Junior forward Annalise Pickrel (shoulder), 6-4 sophomore forward Becca Mills (knee) and freshman guard Branndais Agee (toe) all had surgery in the offseason, and sophomore center Jasmine Hines is recovering from a hamstring injury.

Agee (Detroit Cass Tech) had a pin inserted in her pinkie toe last week and is expected to miss the next six weeks.

Iowa: Jaime Printy was on the court, but not fully cleared following her ACL surgery in February. “She did a good job,” Iowa coach Lisa Bluder said Monday after practice. “She got through two hours of practice before she had to come out when she started to get sore."

In summary, Jaime Printy on court but not yet fully cleared. Kathryn Reynolds will take a red shirt. Nicole Smith to miss part of the season. Claire Till and Melissa Dixon, who suffered injuries during the summer, were back on court. Printy practicing, not full speed just yet

This next article was written last June: Since Iowa ended last season, injuries have ended the careers of two Hawkeyes — Virginia Johnson and Jade Rogers — and senior Jaime Printy and sophomore Kathryn Reynolds continue lengthy rehabilitations from ACL surgery. Printy, who underwent surgery in February, remains on schedule for a return to full practice in October. Bluder stresses leadership during trying offseason

Iowa center Bethany Doolittle was arrested and charged with public intoxication and providing false information to the police. Iowa City police say the 18-year-old Doolittle was kissing a man on a sidewalk Saturday night when an officer asked Doolittle for her identification. A police complaint says Doolittle claimed she didn't have her ID and instead gave police a fake name. Doolittle eventually acknowledged giving police a false name because she was scared. Police say Doolittle's blood-alcohol content was 0.155. Doolittle posted $600 bond and pleaded not guilty to both charges.

http://www.cbs2iowa.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kgan_vid_12034.shtml

Ohio State: Buckeyes lose starter to knee injury Kalpana Beach the Ohio State sophomore forward landed awkwardly on her right leg in practice last week and immediately knew that her second season with the Buckeyes had ended before it had a chance to begin. The “pop” she felt was the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee She will take a medical redshirt after she undergoes season-ending surgery on Oct. 22. Beach started in the 30 games that she played for the Buckeyes last season as a freshman out of Westlake. She averaged 5.1 points and 4.7 rebounds.

Purdue: Purdue coach Sharon Versyp said in April KK Houser and Liza Clemons are doing well after each underwent surgery following the end of the season. Houser had a minor procedure to remove a button from her knee, which was surgically repaired following an ACL tear at the start of the 2010-11 season. “They took out a button and it looked like a normal jacket button,” Versyp said. “It’s a button they put in the first surgery.” Clemons had surgery on her right shoulder. Clemons has endured shoulder problems since high school, but the forward didn’t undergo an MRI until after this season http://php.jconline.com/blogs/mike/clemons-houser-injury-updates/

Purdue assistant women’s basketball coach Martin Clapp announced his resignation Sept.7th for personal reasons, effective immediately. According to the Tippecanoe County Jail, he was arrested early Thursday morning on a preliminary charge of Operating While Intoxicated. Purdue asst. coach resigns after OWI

Former Boilermaker All-American Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton will join the Purdue women's basketball coaching staff, head coach Sharon Versyp announced Wednesday. The Naperville, Ill., native has been playing professional basketball since graduating from Purdue, most recently with the WNBA's Washington Mystics. Women's Basketball Hires New Assistant

Illinois: New head coach Matt Bollant inherits an Illini squad that lost one significant senior, Lydia McCully, and three others who played sparingly. A junior forward, Alexis Burke, transferred to Rutgers, and the team MVP, Adrienne GodBold, won’t be eligible until the first of the year. GodBold finished strong last season and will be critical to UI fortunes in Big Ten play. Bollant builds support system

Michigan: New Michigan Head Coach Kim Barnes Arico announced on Tuesday (Oct. 9) that junior forward Val Driscoll and freshman forward Kelsey Mitchell will miss the 2012-13 season with knee injuries. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/100912aaa.html

Indiana: April 30th after Indiana hired Curt Miller away from Bowling Green as women’s basketball coach, Kaila Hulls said she decided to follow her former coach. IU officially announced Monday evening that Hulls, the 2011 Indiana All-Star and H-T All-Area Girls’ Basketball Player of the Year from Bloomington South, will transfer from BG and begin classes this summer in her hometown. She never played a game with Bowling Green, suffering a torn ACL just days after winning the 3-point contest at Bowling Green’s Midnight Madness event. Hulls’ brother, Jordan, is a member of the Indiana men’s team. Kaila Hulls a Hoosier

Then this: Indiana redshirt freshman Kaila Hulls will miss the 2012-13 women's basketball season due to an ACL tear in her right knee during preseason conditioning. Kaila Hulls to Miss 2012-13 Season Due to Injury

This is more a HHC site question from a newbie...but shouldn't topics for the women's team be in the separate Women's forum titled:

Husker Hoops Central's Nebraska Women's Basketball

That is labeled "The forum for discussion of the women's basketball program at the University of Nebraska".

There could be people that look for info on Connie's team that may not check on the men's side.

This is more a HHC site question from a newbie...but shouldn't topics for the women's team be in the separate Women's forum titled:

Husker Hoops Central's Nebraska Women's Basketball

That is labeled "The forum for discussion of the women's basketball program at the University of Nebraska".

There could be people that look for info on Connie's team that may not check on the men's side.

If you're finding topics through the "view latest content" you'll see content from all parts of the board.

This is located in the women's section. I've read as many threads about women's basketball as I have in the last 3 years!

If you're finding topics through the "view latest content" you'll see content from all parts of the board.

This is located in the women's section. I've read as many threads about women's basketball as I have in the last 3 years!

Thanks...I will learn...but slowly, as I went nearly the first 50 years of life without touching a computer...so sometimes it is not 2nd nature. Will the view new content bring up items from Fall Sports etc if and when that gets going...or just men and women BBall?

You're doing fine. I'm guessing most people aren't using the "View New Content" link yet.

Yes, It will bring up new content from all sections. It is possible to customize this should there be a section you don't want to see.

Thanks...you have made this site pretty awesome...but like the Pentagon, it takes some time to figure out how to get around.

Ohio State: The Buckeyes held their media day yesterday.

Foster expects to continue three and sometime a four guard offense.

Likely back-court starters: Hill, Amber Stokes, Raven Ferguson.

Still trying to find a front court person to replace injured Kalpana Beach who will miss season (ACL).

Starting post Ashley Adams is limited in practice because of quad injury.

Everyone will be looking at making the extra pass to make up what Sammy brought to the game (all-time leading assist maker in B1G history).

http://www.the-ozone.net/hoops/12-13Women/2MinDrillMediaDay.htm

Although this isn't Big Ten related it's most likely somewhat interesting for Husker fans.

Kansas St: Ex-Husker Kayta Lieck will miss the entire season for K St as she tore her acl this summer in preseason workouts. I suspect Katya's days are numbered down there as she is so injury prone. And the Kansas St coach likes what she see's out of Brianna Craig.

Katya Lieck: on her talking about the injury

On the disappointment of her ACL injury…

“I was really looking forward to this season and us as a team. We were really working hard this summer to work on improvements so it was a disappointment for me and the team. I think they have been working so hard and still are working hard to go hard against all of our opponents and we’ll still be a great team.”

On how it happened…

“We were doing preseason individual workouts, the basic drills that we do every day and it gave out on me.”

On being out for the season…

“I plan to play next season. I plan to come back strong, work real hard and have a good summer. I know as a team we are going to be getting some freshmen coming in and losing some people. But, we are still going to be that K-State Wildcat team that can take anyone on.”

The coach said Lincoln NE grad Brianna Craig, a guard, "comes to mind first among the freshmen, and said she will see major minutes early on in the season." “I think she has the potential to be one of the finest guards that we’ve ever had in our program if she really grabs a hold and works extensively hard through the course of her career”

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/2012/10/16/womens-basketball-team-going-to-have-to-be-more-creative-coach-says/

Purdue:

Purdue held their media day Monday afternoon. The following link is head coach Sharon Versyp's press conference.

Interviewer; How do you see the conference shaking out this season and where do you fall into that mix.

Versyp: I don't believe in rankings because there could be a good team not ranked....and then procedes to rank them.... "we have three teams Penn St, Nebraska and us in the top 3 then comes Iowa and Michigan State's right there and Ohio State's always in the mix" :

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/892/1314632.mp3

Minnesota: Doctors on Tuesday cleared Gophers guard Rachel Banham to play after the sophomore recovered from a blood clot in her lungs that was discovered in July. Banham, the 2011-12 Big Ten freshman of the year, had not been cleared for contact in practice until this week.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21838089/gophers-womens-basketball-rachel-banham-finally-cleared-play

Illinois: New approach working just fine for Penn

For Illinois senior forward Karisma Penn, the decision to get on board with new head coach Matt Bollant was an easy one. All she had to do was look at the record. In Bollant's tenure at Green Bay, the Phoenix were 148-19, 85-5 in the Horizon League and, most importantly, had at least one victory in the NCAA Tournament each of the last three years.

"Last year, I kind of slacked off a lot," Penn admitted. "I think that was me being frustrated with the system and things that I had no control over. Now with such a great coaching staff and the coaches being so positive, I think a lot of that stuff will translate into me being a better person and this team being better collectively."

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/102412aad.html

Purdue: Drey Mingo wasn’t on either preseason team, in part because she hasn’t played a full season with the Boilermakers. She battled through bacterial meningitis two years, and continues to deal with a loss of hearing. She missed all of last season because of a torn ACL. Mingo was granted a sixth year of eligibility in the offseason. “Some people have forgotten that she’s on our team,” Purdue coach Sharon Versyp said.

Penn State: Defending champion Penn State was the No. 1 selection by the coaches and media. “I don’t mind it,” Lady Lions coach Coquese Washington said. “It’s good for our program. It’s good for our kids to have that kind of recognition from the rest of the coaches and the media. “But it really doesn’t matter where you are in October.”

Michigan: Even before Barnes Arico knew the Michigan job was open, she had an opportunity to watch the Wolverines play. St. John’s and Michigan were in Norman, Okla., in first- and second-round action, but didn’t play each other. “That was really nice,” Barnes Arico said. “I got to see them a little bit and see how hard they worked, and got a feel for them.”

Ohio State: Ohio State starts its season Nov. 9 against Notre Dame, but the game will be played on the USS Yorktown in Charleston, S.C. It’s part of the Carrier Classic, which also features the Ohio State men’s team facing Marquette. How will coach Jim Foster prepare his team to play outdoors? “You go outside to the local playground on a windy day and throw it up,” Foster said. “If the wind is blowing, we’re taking it to the hole. That’s all I can tell you.”

Iowa: In February, Iowa’s Jaime Printy suffered a torn ACL and missed the rest of the season. Coach Lisa Bluder said Printy is participating in nearly every practice drill.“(Wednesday), she took a charge against a guy in practice,” Bluder said. “I just smiled at her because that’s another hurdle. Every day, we go through those hurdles.”

Michigan State: Michigan State center Madison Williams in his her third season with the Spartans, but has suffered two ACL injuries and has appeared in three career games. “It’s nice to think of her as a freshman, because basically, that’s what she is,” coach Suzy Merchant said. “It’s been a challenge.” The McDonald’s All-American at Detroit Country Day High School is listed at 6-foot-7. “She does get some swelling, but I was kidding her the other day, ‘You’re a pencil that swallowed a grape,’ ” Merchant said. “That’s just how she’s built.”

Northwestern: Northwestern coach Joe McKeown is getting a head start on this year’s record.“We’re actually 4-0 and everybody else is 0-0,” McKeown said. “We took our team to Italy and played four games. I’m counting those games.”

Minnesota: Minnesota’s Rachel Banham was the league’s freshman of the year last season, averaging 16.1 points. In July, doctors discovered a blood clot in her lung. “It was genetic; she got it from one of her parents,” coach Pam Borton said. “It was a fluke thing that happens. We were very fortunate to have caught in the middle of July.” Banham was hospitalized for two days and put on medication. She’s been practicing, but was limited to non-contact activities. “She’s been able to keep most of her conditioning, but she will start fully (today).”

http://www.thestarpr...l|text|Sports|s

Michigan St: Michigan State women's basketball redshirt sophomore Madison Williams will miss the 2012-13 season after partially tearing the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in her left knee. A MRI revealed the injury on Tuesday night. A date for surgery has yet to be determined. The typical recovery time is 4-6 months. Williams sat out all but three games last season after tearing the same ACL on Nov. 15 against IPFW, and missed the entire 2010-11 season with a torn right ACL.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/103112aaa.html

Suzy Merchant was expecting Aerial Powers to help fill the scoring void for the Michigan State women’s basketball team this season. Instead the 6-foot freshman guard became the latest of Merchant’s players sidelined by an injury. Powers tore the Achilles tendon in her left ankle during Friday’s practice and will miss the entire season.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20121029/GW0202/310290060/MSU-women-s-hoops-Freshman-Powers-miss-season

Iowa: Jaime Printy did get hurt in practice and is doubtful for Sunday. It's an injury to her other leg, not a knee. It will not keep her out the year, but she did strain a hamstring and that can keep you out for a significant amount of time. We don't know what's status is for Jaime. This just occurred in practice today. Again, she's doubtful for Sunday, and there's really no reason to risk anything. I would rather have her full force on Friday than having her on Sunday.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/110112aag.html

Full Court has a preview of the upcoming Big Ten Conference teams and ranks them.

Penn State tops the middle-of-the-pack Big Ten

2. Nebraska (24-9, 10-6, sixth): Nebraska’s first season in the Big Ten Conference was more impressive than a sixth-place regular season finish would suggest. Coach Connie Yori and her squad spent much of the season vying for the league title before an injury-driven slump saw the Huskers lose four of five late-season games and fall out of contention. And the Huskers did this despite having the league’s second youngest roster, which leads them to be the near unanimous choice to finish second this season.

Nebraska had a strong season despite no real statistical strengths. The Big Red finished in the bottom half of the conference in scoring and rebounding margin, offensive and defensive field goal margin, and free-throw and three-point shooting. Their only top three finishes statistically were in offensive rebounds, offensive rebounding percentage and three-point field goals made. The Huskers succeeded by riding the shoulders of several outstanding players and making clutch plays when games were on the line.

Two players who regularly put their team on their shoulders were then-sophomore Jordon Hooper and then-junior Lindsay Moore. Hooper, a 6-2 post, finished fourth in the league in scoring (18.9 ppg) and first in rebounding (9.3 rpg). Hooper is much more athletic than she appears and is a match-up nightmare for almost everyone in the league. She can step outside and hit the three as well as play a strong post-up game. Moore is a 5-9 point guard who has started every game in her career and was the starting point guard on the best team in Nebraska history, the 2009-10 team that won the Big 12 title and was a top seed in the NCAA tournament. She finished seventh in the league in scoring with 15.7 points a game and her 5.1 assists a game were the conference’s second best mark. Those two return and will again lead Nebraska.

With the overall return of four starters and nine of ten players who averaged at least ten minutes a game, Nebraska should show across-the-board improvement. With Moore and Meghin Williams the only two seniors on this season’s roster, Nebraska should be in a position to sit at or near the top of the standings for the foreseeable future. But, and isn’t there always a but, the Cornhuskers will have to stay healthy, and injuries have played havoc with early practices for Yori.

To date, Hooper has missed about half of the practices with a stress fracture, Halie Sample, another returning starter, has missed virtually all the practices with a knee injury suffered last season, and Moore has missed about a third of the reps with several injuries. In addition, several players who have been counted on to contribute have missed large chunks of practice with a variety of nicks. While no one is likely to miss the season, Yori will need to get her players healthy while getting her team ready for the season. That will not be easy, but the reward could be a special season in Nebraska.

ESPN has released it's Big Ten preview and predicted order of finish:

Last year, Penn Stat carried the mantle of preseason favorite well, losing just three games. One of the teams that knocked off the Lady Lions was Nebraska, which should be Penn State's primary threat in 2012-13. The Huskers weren't even supposed to contend in their first season in the Big Ten but were solidly in the race until a three-game losing streak in mid-February. In one calendar year, Nebraska has gone from "young" to "experienced."

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/preview2012/story/_/id/8594956/big-ten-preview

• 1 month later...

Wisconsin: Dropping like flies!

Freshman guard Makailah Dyer has informed University of Wisconsin women's basketball coach Bobbie Kelsey she has decided to transfer. Dyer, a two-time Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association all-state selection at Madison East, did not play in a regular-season game this season. “She wanted to pursue an opportunity to have more playing time, to get more playing time,’’ Kelsey said Tuesday. “But it would be very difficult here because she is at a position where we have five other people. It wasn’t anything personal.

A few days later Lindsay Smith, a sophomore on the Wisconsin women’s basketball team, elected to transfer and will leave the team immediately, head coach Bobbie Kelsey announced. "We are sad to see Lindsay leave our program, however she felt she needed to explore other options to gain more playing time,” said Kelsey. “She was a very hard worker and smart player for us. I have no doubt she will be able to contribute to a program that fits her abilities. We wish Lindsay nothing but the best."

Then this week the Badgers find out that last years leading scorer Taylor Wurtz will miss considerable playing time due to stress fractures, disk herniation and sciatic nerve problems. Wurtz, met with a spine specialist, will discuss her treatment options — including a recommendation to have surgery — with her parents and is expected to reach a decision within the next week.

Not sure if many seen it or not but ex-Husker assistant coach Kellie Lewis-Jay took her Florida Atlantic Owls to Madison last Monday night and almost pulled off the upset losing in overtime to the Badgers 82-73.

The Badgers come to Lincoln January, 2nd.

Michigan St: Michigan State women's basketball freshman Branndais Agee will miss the rest of the 2012-13 season, after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in her right knee in practice on Thursday. A date for surgery has yet to be determined. Agee is the third of coach Suzy Merchant's players to suffer a season-ending injury since October. Freshman guard Aerial Powers suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in late October and redshirt sophomore center Madison Williams tore her ACL a few days later. MSU has 16 players on roster so they should have enough to finish out the year.

MSU does get back Sophomore guard Kiana Johnson and redshirt freshman forward Akyah Taylor as both will be eligible to play against IPFW in Sunday’s game at Jenison Field House after serving a nine-game suspension for a NCAA rules violation.