According to figures supplied to The Gazette by Big Ten schools through the Freedom of Information Act, Michigan earned $46.447 million in football ticket revenue in the 2012 fiscal year. Indiana generated the smallest revenue at $4.351 million. The nearly $42.1 million difference between the programs is more than what Ohio State ($41.046) earned in football ticket revenue during the same fiscal year.

Penn State ($33.403 million) — the league’s other stadium seating more than 100,000 for home games — was third. Then, Nebraska ($28.184 million)...

http://thegazette.com/2013/04/13/major-disparity-in-big-ten-football-ticket-revenue/

Off topic, but pertinent when looking at the overall revenue figures for an athletic department to be competitive.  The top dogs will be hard to best, especially when the football factories are producing beaucoup bucks. Nebraska will enhance their revenue with the additional 6,500 seats, but will still lag behind the 100,000+ venues at Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.  It seems clear that the Huskers will be firmly entrenched in the #4 hole in the 14-team B1G lineup.

Here is another thing to consider...

Ohio State fields 39 varsity sports

Penn State 29

Michigan 27

Nebraska 22

Those other three depend on those extra revenue dollars to sponsor their massive AD's.  Now, I don't imagine it costs Michigan $20 million for those 5 extra sports.  But Hockey, Lacrosse, Water Polo, Men's Volleyball and et cetera aren't exactly cheap either...

I recall reading that Nebraska claimed to support 24 sports when the latest "Sand Volleyball" spring sport started earlier this year.  

Here's the story that indicates Sand Volleyball was the 24th intercollegiate sport for NU:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=732110&SPID=123508&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205896263

Here is another thing to consider...

Ohio State fields 39 varsity sports

Penn State 29

Michigan 27

Nebraska 22

Those other three depend on those extra revenue dollars to sponsor their massive AD's.  Now, I don't imagine it costs Michigan $20 million for those 5 extra sports.  But Hockey, Lacrosse, Water Polo, Men's Volleyball and et cetera aren't exactly cheap either...

Good points.  I would bet that hockey at Michigan comes close to breaking even, may even make money.  I know hockey at Minnesota and Wisconsin make some money.