Asst. Coach Ben Johnson to Minnesota

Norm, as for you point that he hasn't "delivered" anybody yet, I guess I don't really get that.  He isn't employed by NU.  He isn't under any obligation to deliver anybody here.  In fact, let's say Barnes did have enough influence to direct Akoy to a school (and yes, I realize this is a complete hypothetical).  

This is how you get a foot in the door though.  I work for a baseball facility here in portland and we have some great connections to kids as our staff is full of former pros, college coaches, and pro scouts.  Two of our guys were just working for us before becoming college coaches and got their jobs because they were able to steer players to said school.  This is a huge reason why guys like Chin Coleman now have a job in college as they were able to have great connections and in-roads to kids and because of this connection got himself a new job.  If Barnes wanted a job in college, funneling players to a school would be the number one priority to get himself an interview.  Even if it doesnt work at one school people at other schools would take notice of said connections and do their best to hire him to gain those ties.  Thats why you see so many AAU coaches get hired because they have connections to areas to get players.

Norm, as for you point that he hasn't "delivered" anybody yet, I guess I don't really get that.  He isn't employed by NU.  He isn't under any obligation to deliver anybody here.  In fact, let's say Barnes did have enough influence to direct Akoy to a school (and yes, I realize this is a complete hypothetical).  

This is how you get a foot in the door though.  I work for a baseball facility here in portland and we have some great connections to kids as our staff is full of former pros, college coaches, and pro scouts.  Two of our guys were just working for us before becoming college coaches and got their jobs because they were able to steer players to said school.  This is a huge reason why guys like Chin Coleman now have a job in college as they were able to have great connections and in-roads to kids and because of this connection got himself a new job.  If Barnes wanted a job in college, funneling players to a school would be the number one priority to get himself an interview.  Even if it doesnt work at one school people at other schools would take notice of said connections and do their best to hire him to gain those ties.  Thats why you see so many AAU coaches get hired because they have connections to areas to get players.

I get that completely.  But maybe he decided to steer them somewhere else since he didn't think he was ever going to get a legitimate shot here.  Again, I don't anything about what really happened. Just saying that simply b/c he hasn't "steered" any to NU doesn't mean he hasn't steered them somewhere else or that he couldn't ever do so in the future.  Just like any other person in his type of position, he has not obligation to NU any more than any other school at this point. 

Losing Johnson hurts, but the assistant Miles simply cannot afford to lose is Harriman.  I have felt for a while that Miles should bump Harriman's salary to $500,000+ and make a commitment to keep him no matter the cost.

I am not happy about losing Johnson but will get over it.  I will be very upset if we lose Harriman, especially if Miles and the athletic dept. don't step up and pay him an amount that will make it extremely difficult for him to leave.  Harriman is probably the ceiling as far as the qualify of an assitant coach we can get at NU.  When we get one like him, we need to do whatever is necessary to keep him.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen any indication that Miles as the AD are willing to make that sort of commitment to Harriman and the program.

And you know this how?  Please elaborate.

OK I tried to stay away but I just don't have the mental strength. Adam may be the nicest guy in the world (I've seen the other side of him but whatever) but the bottom line from an assistant is can he recruit and can he coach. He has no recruiting experience  for anyone nor does he have a record of steering anyone anywhere.  I have heard him talk basketball and seen his workouts. There is nothing he does that you can't learn from watching YouTube videos for half an hour. He has no experience doing any real coaching, no experience recruiting, and has demonstrated no real special basketball cognizance. He has promised big things and delivered nothing. I have personally heard him lie to other coaches and have had his lies related to me by the players he lied to and was using to make money from. If it was the 1800's he would be a snake oil salesman but a damn good one. Other than that he is a swell guy.

I'm sure there are people out there that know me and could write paragraphs about what an ass I am as well. and it has been a few years since I've come in contact with him. As a believer that we can all change and improve ourselves, maybe he has turned over a new leaf. (You know the wet slimy stuff under all the fallen leaves - sorry....can't stop.....myself.....trying to be..... positive.) As George Elliot once wrote, "It is never too late to be what you might have been." And of course George Elliot was actually a woman named Mary Anne Evens so she changed maybe there's hope for Adam, but I still don't want him coaching at UNL.

Yeah, really Dean.  I coulda gone all "Tale of Two Cities" on you, but that's so totally inappropriate on a board like this.  Besides, I only got through the first 50 pages before I threw the thing into a corner and went out and shot baskets until my fingertips bled.

P.S.  Thanks for taking it easy on Adam.  That was very magnanimous of you.  You showed great restraint in holding back like that.

I've read this forum from the shadows for a long time.I am always amazed and saddened at how some threads digress to the point of personal attacks.This thread has become one of those. Obviously there are those who have strong opinions for or against Adam Barnes. What purpose does it serve to show such vitriol against him? Some of you seem to have some information regarding the Omaha Health and Wellness Academy, but perhaps not the whole story. This was not a one man show. There were three partners involved in this project, not just Mr. Barnes. A fourth individual was later brought on to assist with the PR aspect. One partner was responsible for raising the capital and or financing for this project. How many of you have tried to raise additional funding to finance an expansion of your business or to start a new business when you felt you have a great idea to fill a market need? If you don't raise the capital, you don't go through with the project. Well that partner was not able to raise the capital/financing for the project and abruptly pulled out of the partnership without discussing it with the other parties. This effectively killed the project. This does not all fall on Adam Barnes.Whether or not Adam has the qualifications for a position with Coach Miles may be a worthy topic within this thread, but I fail to see the need for the personal attacks. Apparantly it's ok if you have a high post count and are assumed to be the all knowing Oz for the majority of the forum readership, I would hope the Admins would be proactive in monitoring and responding appropriately to these types of posts regardless of who they are directed at. If your job or mine were dependant upon the discussion and recommendations of internet forums, we would all be unemployed. Several have mentioned earlier in this thread that they completely trust Coach Miles to make the correct hire for the good of our beloved Nebrasketball. I would agree with this. Tim has shown a lot of moxie this first year and I look forward to many good things to come. Consistency within coaching staffs is important, but the coaching carousel goes round and round every year. That part of the business won't change. Let's continue to be positive and cheer for the Huskers.GBR!

I've read this forum from the shadows for a long time.I am always amazed and saddened at how some threads digress to the point of personal attacks.This thread has become one of those. Obviously there are those who have strong opinions for or against Adam Barnes. What purpose does it serve to show such vitriol against him? Some of you seem to have some information regarding the Omaha Health and Wellness Academy, but perhaps not the whole story. This was not a one man show. There were three partners involved in this project, not just Mr. Barnes. A fourth individual was later brought on to assist with the PR aspect. One partner was responsible for raising the capital and or financing for this project. How many of you have tried to raise additional funding to finance an expansion of your business or to start a new business when you felt you have a great idea to fill a market need? If you don't raise the capital, you don't go through with the project. Well that partner was not able to raise the capital/financing for the project and abruptly pulled out of the partnership without discussing it with the other parties. This effectively killed the project. This does not all fall on Adam Barnes.Whether or not Adam has the qualifications for a position with Coach Miles may be a worthy topic within this thread, but I fail to see the need for the personal attacks. Apparantly it's ok if you have a high post count and are assumed to be the all knowing Oz for the majority of the forum readership, I would hope the Admins would be proactive in monitoring and responding appropriately to these types of posts regardless of who they are directed at. If your job or mine were dependant upon the discussion and recommendations of internet forums, we would all be unemployed. Several have mentioned earlier in this thread that they completely trust Coach Miles to make the correct hire for the good of our beloved Nebrasketball. I would agree with this. Tim has shown a lot of moxie this first year and I look forward to many good things to come. Consistency within coaching staffs is important, but the coaching carousel goes round and round every year. That part of the business won't change. Let's continue to be positive and cheer for the Huskers.GBR!

Irregardless of what happened behind the scenes usually you try and secure that stuff beforehand. When people over promise and under deliver you can be sure to have a less than stellar opinion of you by some people. It happens in business but you have to accept why some people have these feelings. They are justified because of it but it doesn't mean they want to tar and feather.

It's a message board.  People have their own opinions.  If you don't like what people are posting, then don't read it.  The opinions of the other posters have just as much merit/validity as your post, or any of my posts.  There has been nothing offensive posted. 

Apparantly it's ok if you have a post count of 1 and are assumed, by yourself, to be the all knowing Oz, I would hope the Admins would be proactive in monitoring and responding appropriately to these types of posts regardless of who they are directed at.

I agree with the bolded section 100%.  But, again,  that's just my opinion and it isn't any more/less valid than yours, or the opinion of any other poster on this board.

It's a message board.  People have their own opinions.  If you don't like what people are posting, then don't read it.  The opinions of the other posters have just as much merit/validity as your post, or any of my posts.  There has been nothing offensive posted. 

Apparantly it's ok if you have a post count of 1 and are assumed, by yourself, to be the all knowing Oz, I would hope the Admins would be proactive in monitoring and responding appropriately to these types of posts regardless of who they are directed at.

I agree with the bolded section 100%.  But, again,  that's just my opinion and it isn't any more/less valid than yours, or the opinion of any other poster on this board.

+1 man, everyone is entitled to an opinion, this is a place where we all speak our mind

chill-out.jpg

Here's the conversation I imagine Coach Miles having with Ben last summer:

Miles:  "Coach, I'd like to bring you in to the staff here at Nebraska."

Johnson:  "That's great, coach.  I'd be happy to accept the challenge!"

M:  "There's just one thing.  Before I am ready to formally offer you the position here I have to ask the same of you that I have for all the other assistants here.  Would you be willing to commit to the program and to us for at least three years?  Reason I ask is because I feel that the first three years is critical to determining the level of success I feel we can achieve here and having a stable staff is a crucial part of the process."

J:  "I understand, and I wholeheartedly agree with you.  After all, we're all taking a chance on making this thing work."

M:  "Yep.  No doubt about it, I think we're gonna get it done here, but for us to get there we all need to be on board with the program."

J:  "I see no reason why I can't make that commitment coach.  I'm in."

M:  "Great!  Welcome aboard!"

J:  "There's...just one thing..."

M:  "Oh?  What's that coach?"

J:  "Well, as you know, I played college ball at Minnesota..."

M:  "Oh sure, been a fan of the Gophs since I was a kid.  I followed your career very closely!"

J:  "...yeah, so if there was one place that could come calling and make me think long and hard about breaking my commitment to you and Nebraska, well..."

M:  "Minnesota."

J:  "Exactly.  So, if you think it'd be a deal breaker, I totally understand.  But otherwise, you have my undying commitment.  Three years."

M:  "Welcome aboard, Ben.  Glad to have you!"

Tim smiles and extends his hand out to Ben.  They shake and the deal's done.  All the while Tim's thinking "Tubby's gonna be there for a while yet.  Nothin' to worry about"

Anyway, that's how I envision it.

Adam?

Irregardless

Awesome.

So Coach Johnsen is leaving? i couldn't tell by reading the last couple pages.

You shoulda seen the Matt Atewe thread. Over 40 pages, maybe half of those about Matt Atewe. Maybe.

Welcome to HHC where we're not exactly known for long attention spans. ;)

Sheesh, folks complain when we belabor a topic and they complain when we drift off topic. I guess we need a new rule, no more than ten posts per thread, all must be on topic and no silliness. Anyone violating this rule will be charged double on their membership fees for the board. Sorry, had to be done.

You shoulda seen the Matt Atewe thread. Over 40 pages, maybe half of those about Matt Atewe. Maybe.

Sheesh, folks complain when we belabor a topic and they complain when we drift off topic. I guess we need a new rule, no more than ten posts per thread, all must be on topic and no silliness. Anyone violating this rule will be charged double on their membership fees for the board. Sorry, had to be done.

Uh oh, that could be a budget-buster for Buster Husker!   :o

Well I am screwed. ^_^

I don't understand why we should "calm down with the vitriol" about Strickland. I understand you have a different perspective, but I fail to see why my perspective is in need of "calming down." I thought I made some valid points.

What Nebraska desperately needs right now is a big-time recruiter. Harriman is a fine recruiter, especially at the international level, but I'm not sure there's an ace recruiter on this staff, and we desperately need one in my opinion. Strickland may have the potential to be a great recruiter, but he's proved nothing and has very little coaching experience. In other words, he's not a guy who would even be given a sniff if he didn't play ball in Lincoln.

In general, I'm tired of nepotism hires (on the football side) at Nebraska, in which a guy's birth state or playing for Nebraska seemingly means more than real qualifications and an ability to bring excellence to the position.

I happen to believe that Strickland stacks up extremely poorly against a lot of potential candidates out there who have a wealth of recruiting experience, tremendous recruiting contacts at all levels, and a lot more coaching experience. 

I'm not talking about you, but there are many Husker fans out there who, if they had control over hires, would put together a football staff comprised entirely of former Husker greats. We're the most incestuous program in America.

Your points are fine, but they read a bit like there's not reason anyone should entertain considering Stick might even be worth considering.  And it wasn't just meant to be at you, there are several of similar sentimental posts.  At least that's how they read to me.  I'm just saying there are reasons beyond just his Husker ties to consider him.  I don't have a problem with "nepotism" hires if they can actually coach.  I don't know if Strick can do that or not, but I know when I hear him talk that he has a very deep understanding of the game.  If I have the choice between two coaches that are similar in ability, I'm going to take the guy that is from here and is passionate about this place.

I don't think by any stretch that NU is unique in wanting their own to be a part of the program.  That's a common desire amongst fanbases.  It's also why they don't make hiring decisions.  I don't know what other guys Miles has in mind, they may very wel be more qualified than Strick, and I'm more than ok with that, but there is reason to believe that he would be a valuable asset to the program.  There's a reason why his seat were right next to Tai's when he was in town.  The guy can sell Nebraska, I have little doubt of that.

This is why I think Nebraska should take a different route.  Nebraska basketball is not in the position to take that gamble.  Nebraska is in the position to do something special, if they play their cards right.  I think that it would be in Nebraska's best interest to hire the most qualified and proven coaches for each position, not just make a sentimental/nostalgic hire.  I am a Strickland fan and I would love to see around the Nebraska Basketball program 24/7, just not as a coach until he has the credentials to justify the hire.

I don't understand why we should "calm down with the vitriol" about Strickland. I understand you have a different perspective, but I fail to see why my perspective is in need of "calming down." I thought I made some valid points.

What Nebraska desperately needs right now is a big-time recruiter. Harriman is a fine recruiter, especially at the international level, but I'm not sure there's an ace recruiter on this staff, and we desperately need one in my opinion. Strickland may have the potential to be a great recruiter, but he's proved nothing and has very little coaching experience. In other words, he's not a guy who would even be given a sniff if he didn't play ball in Lincoln.

In general, I'm tired of nepotism hires (on the football side) at Nebraska, in which a guy's birth state or playing for Nebraska seemingly means more than real qualifications and an ability to bring excellence to the position.

I happen to believe that Strickland stacks up extremely poorly against a lot of potential candidates out there who have a wealth of recruiting experience, tremendous recruiting contacts at all levels, and a lot more coaching experience. 

I'm not talking about you, but there are many Husker fans out there who, if they had control over hires, would put together a football staff comprised entirely of former Husker greats. We're the most incestuous program in America.

Your points are fine, but they read a bit like there's not reason anyone should entertain considering Stick might even be worth considering.  And it wasn't just meant to be at you, there are several of similar sentimental posts.  At least that's how they read to me.  I'm just saying there are reasons beyond just his Husker ties to consider him.  I don't have a problem with "nepotism" hires if they can actually coach.  I don't know if Strick can do that or not, but I know when I hear him talk that he has a very deep understanding of the game.  If I have the choice between two coaches that are similar in ability, I'm going to take the guy that is from here and is passionate about this place.

I don't think by any stretch that NU is unique in wanting their own to be a part of the program.  That's a common desire amongst fanbases.  It's also why they don't make hiring decisions.  I don't know what other guys Miles has in mind, they may very wel be more qualified than Strick, and I'm more than ok with that, but there is reason to believe that he would be a valuable asset to the program.  There's a reason why his seat were right next to Tai's when he was in town.  The guy can sell Nebraska, I have little doubt of that.

This is why I think Nebraska should take a different route.  Nebraska basketball is not in the position to take that gamble.  Nebraska is in the position to do something special, if they play their cards right.  I think that it would be in Nebraska's best interest to hire the most qualified and proven coaches for each position, not just make a sentimental/nostalgic hire.  I am a Strickland fan and I would love to see around the Nebraska Basketball program 24/7, just not as a coach until he has the credentials to justify the hire.

I agree that they should hire the best guy for the job.  That said, I think Nebraska is EXACTLY the program that can take this kind of a risk.  Especially one that does have the experience and connections and NBA pedigree that Strickland has.  NU doesn't many of those.  Every time I hear him talk I'm more and more convinced he knows the game extremely well.  If the NCAA allows positions like Chin was originally slotted for, that'd be perfect for Strick, but I'm confident he'd be a very good option for Johnson's seat.  I don't really expect Miles to go that route though.