Miles and Minnesota

I watched the Richard Pitino coach against Western Kentucky in the Sun Belt Conference Championship this year.  The announcers raved about Richard Pitino's ability, but I am a bit weary.  Pitino was at Florida International for one year and won with players recruited by Isiah Thomas.  While Isiah Thomas is not exactly a great coach, he is an outstanding recruiter and some of his classes were highly respected for a mid-major program with no history.  Pitino should have won with that team.  I want to see how he does with recruiting before getting worried.

Ric Pitino's style of play is definitely good but only Billy Donovan and Tubby Smith have really distinguished themselves (although Travis Ford could be on his way).  And Tubby won a NC with Pitino's players at Kentucky who had been to the NC game the last two previous years.  Tubby's offensive style is different than Pitino's.  Most of the rest of the coaches off the Pitino coaching tree are great mid-major coaches (Mick Cronin, Ralf Willard, John Pelphery, Kevin Willard, etc) and are all middle of the pack top tier coaches.

I watched the Richard Pitino coach against Western Kentucky in the Sun Belt Conference Championship this year.  The announcers raved about Richard Pitino's ability, but I am a bit weary.  Pitino was at Florida International for one year and won with players recruited by Isiah Thomas.  While Isiah Thomas is not exactly a great coach, he is an outstanding recruiter and some of his classes were highly respected for a mid-major program with no history.  Pitino should have won with that team.  I want to see how he does with recruiting before getting worried.

Ric Pitino's style of play is definitely good but only Billy Donovan and Tubby Smith have really distinguished themselves (although Travis Ford could be on his way).  And Tubby won a NC with Pitino's players at Kentucky who had been to the NC game the last two previous years.  Tubby's offensive style is different than Pitino's.  Most of the rest of the coaches off the Pitino coaching tree are great mid-major coaches (Mick Cronin, Ralf Willard, John Pelphery, Kevin Willard, etc) and are all middle of the pack top tier coaches.

Actually Pitino only had 3 scholorship players left as 6 or 7 transferred after Thomas was fired.  The three top scorers for FIU were recruited by Pitino. 

Does not really seem like a Grand Slam hire to me... I do not know much on this guy, but I was expecting something more...... Flashy

Don't know why Minnesota would merit a flashy hire. I mean they are certainly a program with a better history than ours but its not like they are anywhere near the top of the food chain in college BB. Tubby Smith was pretty good at the time but that's because he was under duress at the time. Time will tell if Pitino is a good hire or not but IMO he certainly seems like a fit hire for their program.

Actually Pitino only had 3 scholorship players left as 6 or 7 transferred after Thomas was fired.  The three top scorers for FIU were recruited by Pitino. 

I guess I was given bad information.

I watched the Richard Pitino coach against Western Kentucky in the Sun Belt Conference Championship this year. The announcers raved about Richard Pitino's ability, but I am a bit weary. Pitino was at Florida International for one year and won with players recruited by Isiah Thomas. While Isiah Thomas is not exactly a great coach, he is an outstanding recruiter and some of his classes were highly respected for a mid-major program with no history. Pitino should have won with that team. I want to see how he does with recruiting before getting worried.

Ric Pitino's style of play is definitely good but only Billy Donovan and Tubby Smith have really distinguished themselves (although Travis Ford could be on his way). And Tubby won a NC with Pitino's players at Kentucky who had been to the NC game the last two previous years. Tubby's offensive style is different than Pitino's. Most of the rest of the coaches off the Pitino coaching tree are great mid-major coaches (Mick Cronin, Ralf Willard, John Pelphery, Kevin Willard, etc) and are all middle of the pack top tier coaches.

Actually Pitino only had 3 scholorship players left as 6 or 7 transferred after Thomas was fired. The three top scorers for FIU were recruited by Pitino.

Damn computer. Looks like I was relying on bad info.

I'm a little less than optimistic about the future of Deverell after reading that.

If he was going to dismiss Biggs, I would imagine he would be looking to offer juco point guards rather than forwards and centers.

Biggs is probably getting punished but in an internal way.  Like cleaning the bathrooms at Hendricks with his toothbrush.  And stuff like that.1

1.  I don't know any of Miles' relatives nor am I his neighbor or cable installer.  I'm not offering this as an assertion of fact but as an uneducated, wild act of blank speculation.  I would defer to anyone who claims any actual information.

Guys, I posted about this last week. I don't know what Biggs will face in terms of a suspension, if any, but I do know that he's on a zero tolerance policy now, which means that no further disciplinary issues will be tolerated. I'm not even sure that's Miles' call, to be honest. This may be coming from higher up. I'm not sure, but I'm confident in the information. Having said that, I doubt he'll get himself into trouble again, and he knows the score.