MVP Award for 2013. Make your case here.

tcp

You can never start shoveling dirt on a grave fast enough, so maybe we can start the MVP postmortem now. You get one choice-no ties! And make your case.

----------------------------------------------------

I think you can make a case for 4 players for this award. But the reality is that it will probably come down to 2 players--at least for most posters except for that oddball who just *has* to be different. In this thread, I am not that oddball. My MVP (and it's a tough call, too) is--

Brandon Ubel.

The numbers alone are good enough for Brandon to get the nod over other candidates. Third on the team in scoring, second in FG percentage (although first among players that played starting minutes this season), first in rebounding, first in offensive boards (by a lot), and first in free throw percentage. He was also third in minutes played. That's a pretty good haul for a 6-10 forward.

But it's what Brandon has meant to this team in leadership, being a public face (and the responsibilities that go with that), and finishing the season as strong as he did that, to me, pushes him past my number two, Dylan Talley. While Talley was the leading scorer, and had probably the most difficult job of either player in converting from a secondary wing scorer into a point guard in a premier conference, it was Ubel who had to hold the team together as the only consistently viable big on the roster.

But there's a sentimental reason I went with Brandon as well. Ubel was a 4 year player for us, part of an incoming class that had--at least on paper--the potential to turn NU's hoops fortunes around. As the years rolled on, that cohort disintegrated, essentially leaving Brandon as its last man standing. To play under that sort of cloud was a special burden, coming in as someone who was supposed to be a role player but, as the cohort fell apart and its early promise evaporated. He wound up having to be a key cog in the Husker wheel. And he did just that, against almost all expectations.

I'm curious to see other people's takes on this. Who gets your MVP vote?

Let me take the easy way out.  You give the base (foundation) of the trophy to Ubel, and the top half goes to Talley.  Being a four year player, Ubel was the foundation for this season.  What Talley did as a point guard, made us as competitve as we were.

Seriously, I can't pick one over the other.  It needs to be a shared award this year.

Talley.  He was one of a few players in the conference that averaged at least 13 points, 5 boards and 2.5 assists per game.  I think he was underrated as a scorer (very good at finishing with his off hand, nice mid-range game and could get hot from 3) as well as a defender.  Considering what he was asked to do this season, he gets my vote.

Ubel. He's been more consistent throughout the year.

I agree with this. I say Ubel gets the nod because he was a steady presence.

I will go with this.  Talley played extremely well at times and as was pointed out, made us competitive.  However, he also cost us in some games trying to do to much.  That said he comes in as a close second.

According to the report cards from hhcdave, here's the standings for 2012-2013:

Ray Gallegos - 11
Dylan Talley - 10
Brandon Ubel - 7
Shavon Shields - 4
David Rivers - 3
Andre Almeida - 1
Jordan Tyrance - 1

Does this mean that Ray Gallegos would be the MVP (considering these were developed right after each game, keeping in mind of who contributed the most to each game)? Interesting perspective, nonetheless.

According to the report cards from hhcdave, here's the standings for 2012-2013:

Ray Gallegos - 11
Dylan Talley - 10
Brandon Ubel - 7
Shavon Shields - 4
David Rivers - 3
Andre Almeida - 1
Jordan Tyrance - 1

Does this mean that Ray Gallegos would be the MVP (considering these were developed right after each game, keeping in mind of who contributed the most to each game)? Interesting perspective, nonetheless.

No....because when Gallegos was off.....he was off. 

Talley (and Ubel to a lesser extent) did alot of things outside of hitting 3s.

You can really make a case for Ubel because he could neutralize the other team's big man and kept us from being even worse on the boards.

However, Dylan Talley gets my nod.  Besides becoming the point-forward on the team he was the player who had the ball at the end of the game when we needed the score.  Our record in games decided by 5 point or less is decidedly different without Dylan

Upon thinking further.....it all depends on how you view the MVP.

Talley was your best player.   No question there.

But considering our front court depth, or more appropriately, lack thereof, we didnt have anyone else to fill Ubel's role.   In that sense...you could say he was most valuable. 

But again...Talley was your best player.

I would give the slight edge to Ubel over Talley as MVP. In addition to what has already been mentioned, I think much of Ubel's influence on the games do not show up in the stat sheet.  In one of the BIG tournament games, the color guy mentioned a few times that Ubel stopped or discouraged a drive to the basket by the way he played help defense.  I think we are going to miss him the most next year.

I also agree that Talley would be the best overall player this year.  He really stepped up in many ways especially as PG and still needing to be a primary scorer.