Another Miles profile and a rhetorical question

HuskerCager

http://www.kvrr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19043&Itemid=58#video

I got to thinking about this yesterday.  Imagine if T.O. would have hired another coach last spring.  You would have to think Miles would still be a CSU Ram.  As a sixth-year CSU coach, Miles could have easily had a 24-25 game winner on his resume by the end of the year.

It will be interesting to see what high profile programs will have coaching vacancies next month.  And you would think with the stellar season the Rams are having, T.M. could have easily ended up at a higher profile program than Nebraska in 2013.  I'm glad he's in Lincoln.

From what I've gathered from reading about and listening to him, Miles grew up a Minnesota/Big 10 fan. I think he would've stayed at CSU until a BIG 10 job opened. Luckily for us, we got in the conference, and gt rid of our coach before Minny did theirs.

If he had the option of Minny or Nebraska last year, is there any doubt he would have went to Minnesota?

From what I've gathered from reading about and listening to him, Miles grew up a Minnesota/Big 10 fan. I think he would've stayed at CSU until a BIG 10 job opened. Luckily for us, we got in the conference, and gt rid of our coach before Minny did theirs.

If he had the option of Minny or Nebraska last year, is there any doubt he would have went to Minnesota?

On the surface, looking at it from the perspective of a Nebraska fan, you're right.  Picking Minnesota is a no brainer, when you look at their history and population base.

But it's not that simple.  Our facilities really are a game changer.  Plus, so much depends on fit.  Maybe Miles would feel more comfortable in Lincoln rather than Minneapolis.  Also, if you're looking at both jobs as a stepping stone, which gets you a bigger payday at your next stop--winning at Minnesota or turning around the quagmire that is Nebraska Basketball?

I'm just really happy we got him after last season and don't have to worry about what ifs.  :)

Doc will get another shot if he wants it, but it won't be at a major school.

I'm not so sure about that.  I don't see him getting hired on as a head coach and the longer he's out of coaching, the harder it will be for any school to hire him as head coach.  I'm guessing he could be an assistant coach at a major school but if I was him, I just keep the job I had.

On the surface, looking at it from the perspective of a Nebraska fan, you're right.  Picking Minnesota is a no brainer, when you look at their history and population base.

But it's not that simple.  Our facilities really are a game changer.  Plus, so much depends on fit.  Maybe Miles would feel more comfortable in Lincoln rather than Minneapolis.  Also, if you're looking at both jobs as a stepping stone, which gets you a bigger payday at your next stop--winning at Minnesota or turning around the quagmire that is Nebraska Basketball?

I'm just really happy we got him after last season and don't have to worry about what ifs.  :)

I've lived in Mpls. for the last 20 years, and believe me it's NOT the plum job it would readily appear. Even though it's in a large metro area, and a good school, It is mainly a commuter school, with the  average student age being 25. Think a BIG UNO, with the Vikings dominating the sports landscape. Miles ended up in the right spot.