Miles in the Star Trib

Handy Johnson

I really like Flip Saunders, watched his Wolves a lot when we lived in MN. I also experienced the Josh Pastner tenure at UA. I think either of those coaches makes the Gophers a top 3 (of the B1G) program. Minnesota puts out a ridiculous crop of HS basketball players who make D1 rosters and will be formidable with either Saunders NBA credibility (I mean he made the abysmal T-Wolves a contender) or Pastner's insane recruiting ability and ridiculous drive (finished his undergrad degree in 2.5 years while a member of the UA basketball team.)

I've heard Minny fans want Shaka Smart (seriously), Flip Saunders, and Josh Pastner. They'll end up with some mid-major guy that makes a run in the tourney. Actually, I think Tubby gets another year.

Pastner's in play. His AD overruled him on playing Tennessee. I actually applaud the AD for doing that, but Pastner's on the prowl as a result. 

Luckily I don't see Miles going anywhere before the end of year three, at the earliest. Doing so would be contractually virtually impossible and career suicide because no great job is going to offer him at this point. Also, no way Nebraska would ever allow him to go to a fellow Big 10 school.

Luckily I don't see Miles going anywhere before the end of year three, at the earliest. Doing so would be contractually virtually impossible and career suicide because no great job is going to offer him at this point. Also, no way Nebraska would ever allow him to go to a fellow Big 10 school.

I think this is a destination job for him.  Minnesota, because it's the closest to his hometown, or maybe one of the schools with more basketball history might have been a destination in the B1G he wanted for the first 40 so years of his life.  Before Colorado St, he was in colleges in North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota.  Considering how far from South Dakota he's moved in his life, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Iowa make sense for destinations.

If being in the B1G his is dream, Nebraska joining the conference probably seemed like destiny.

I don't see anything in Miles' contract that makes it "impossible" for him to be lured away to another school tomorrow. $1M is chump change for BCS programs.

http://dataomaha.com/documents/tim-miles-contract

Shaka to Minnesota isn't so far-fetched...the AD at Minnesota, Norwood Teague, was the AD at Virginia Commonwealth before heading up to the tundra. He and Shaka get along beautifully, and a good chunk of the upper administration at Minnesota are transplants from VCU, so it's not out of the realm of reality that they'd want to bring him out too. That's the administration who gave him a $1.2 million contract at VCU, too, remember. And Shaka is also originally from Big Ten territory and went to college in Ohio.

Doesn't exactly spell good things for us if we have to start going up against him twice a year, but it's not so crazy. I'm not nearly as worried about losing Miles to the Gophers as VCU should be about losing Shaka.

I think this is a destination job for him.  Minnesota, because it's the closest to his hometown, or maybe one of the schools with more basketball history might have been a destination in the B1G he wanted for the first 40 so years of his life.  Before Colorado St, he was in colleges in North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota.  Considering how far from South Dakota he's moved in his life, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Iowa make sense for destinations.

If being in the B1G his is dream, Nebraska joining the conference probably seemed like destiny.

This.  No inside info here, but I think Miles intends on making Lincoln his last stop.

I really like Flip Saunders, watched his Wolves a lot when we lived in MN. I also experienced the Josh Pastner tenure at UA. I think either of those coaches makes the Gophers a top 3 (of the B1G) program. Minnesota puts out a ridiculous crop of HS basketball players who make D1 rosters and will be formidable with either Saunders NBA credibility (I mean he made the abysmal T-Wolves a contender) or Pastner's insane recruiting ability and ridiculous drive (finished his undergrad degree in 2.5 years while a member of the UA basketball team.)

Heard Saunders in a couple of clinics - sharp. I think I still have a Sioux Falls Skyforce notebook somewhere in the house. Broz spent a preseason with him at the Timberwolves and sent me his entire play book. Thorough would be an understatement. He had six ways to guard the pick & roll that could be called out during the action of the pick. You have to be smart to play for him. If he gets the Minnesota job maybe Miles would want to glance through it?  ;)

This.  No inside info here, but I think Miles intends on making Lincoln his last stop.

I really hope so.  I honestly believe Tim Miles is our basketball version of Bob Devaney.