CBI?

jayschool

If Coach Miles, with his history of building programs, doesn't think it would be best for this program to go to the CBI this year then I trust his analysis.  I have to beleive if he thought it would be good for the program he'd be GATA all over any big10 gentleman's agreement not to go to the CBI.

If Coach Miles, with his history of building programs, doesn't think it would be best for this program to go to the CBI this year then I trust his analysis.  I have to beleive if he thought it would be good for the program he'd be GATA all over any big10 gentleman's agreement not to go to the CBI.

Is there one?

I don't need to repeat myself, but beyond the future he is working with players right now. Ubel & Talley will not be able to help the team next year but they are here right now and you want a coach that has your back, treats you like a human being and not a commodity, and has loyalty to his players. If this years' players and those two in particular want to keep playing then we should keep playing if given the opportunity.

Is there one?

I've read speculation there might be, I'm sure I'm just propogating a rumor.  Either way, I think if Miles thought it would be good for the program he'd go.  I'll trust his decision.

I don't need to repeat myself, but beyond the future he is working with players right now. Ubel & Talley will not be able to help the team next year but they are here right now and you want a coach that has your back, treats you like a human being and not a commodity, and has loyalty to his players. If this years' players and those two in particular want to keep playing then we should keep playing if given the opportunity.

Well said

After my final game of my playing career, which was football for 12 years, I would have done anything to play one more game.
:angry:

I know that there are three young men that are thinking the same thing.

They don't care where or when, just to keep playing. 

Maybe they can start that winning streak in the Big tournament, maybe not.

And I think that Miles understands that.

They have bought into what he was selling, and I think he is willing to reward that effort and loyalty.

I'd say the CBI is very likely.  I'm all for it.  Those who say it serves no benefit, I disagree.

Nebraska has little history in basketball & has what, 2 titles?  A Big 8 conf title in '94? & a NIT title in '97.

That's it. 

If Miles wants to change the culture from losing to winning, a good place to start would be going to the CBI & winning the whole thing (which could realistically could be done b/c we'd probably be one of the few teams that want to be there).

I say go for it & win the whole thing.  Winning while playing all games on the road would be quite the feat though.

After my final game of my playing career, which was football for 12 years, I would have done anything to play one more game.

:angry:

I know that there are three young men that are thinking the same thing.

They don't care where or when, just to keep playing. 

Maybe they can start that winning streak in the Big tournament, maybe not.

And I think that Miles understands that.

They have bought into what he was selling, and I think he is willing to reward that effort and loyalty.

I admit up front I was a little obsessive about basketball as a high school player. Around town I was know as "That kid with the ball." Back in the days of only four classes when it was twice as hard for small schools to get down to state, we lost in the regional finals my senior year. When the rest of the team was showered and ready to board the bus they realized I was no where around. They found me sitting in the dark on the gym floor, leaning against one of the wall pads. I threw some sweats on and wore my uniform home. I slept in that sweaty jersey because I knew once it came off it was never going on again. I played a little junior college ball chasing the dream but it never felt the same. Maybe I'm (OK I am) projecting my feelings onto the three seniors, but I want them to have the opportunity to represent UNL as many times as they can.

I'm one of those CBB fanatics that catches the tournament flu during March. I try to catch as many March Madness, NIT, CBI, and CIT games as I can. And I'll tell you what, the CBI doesn't get as much credit as it deserves (as of late). There have been some quality teams in that tournament the last couple of years. For example, Oregon and Creighton fought it out in the championship which was a great match-up to watch.

I'm one of those CBB fanatics that catches the tournament flu during March. I try to catch as many March Madness, NIT, CBI, and CIT games as I can. And I'll tell you what, the CBI doesn't get as much credit as it deserves (as of late). There have been some quality teams in that tournament the last couple of years. For example, Oregon and Creighton fought it out in the championship which was a great match-up to watch.

Agreed. The CBI is no different from the bottom tier bowl games. Dean Smith is also spot on about giving the Seniors one last chance. Just can't see any downside to playing in it. Gives the departing guys some final college minutes, allows the staff and returning guys more practice and game experience, and gives the fans some fun, hopefully. Not buying the loss of recruiting time argument. Not sure what contact coaches can have during a short spell when HS play is finished and summer AAU has not started, but the CBI jeopardizes nothing. Plus, most relevant programs are playing in some tournament after this weekend.

Check the link to see that numerous quality programs have participated since its inception:

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/results.htm

Yeah we got beat by Doane and I was sitting on the bench sobbing like a family member has just died. :(

A cheer leader comes over and says" Don't worry we will get them next year." :huh:

I cried harder, my mom and dad had tears in their eyes. :(  

Heck even my girlfriend (now wife) was chocking up. :(

So I think that they should get another chance to extend the season.

Some body called in to the radio tonight and said he thinks it should be up to the senior, if they say lets play then do it. 

If they say my body is done, then shut it down.

Thought that was a good way to go about it.

...the CBI jeopardizes nothing. 

Well.... other than the fact that the university has to fund their own travel expenses and tournament fees. But I don't think our program would have trouble with that at all.

Either way works for me.  

On the flip side, the signing period starts this Sunday and there will be guys who end up getting lost in the shuffle/not signed and will be available.  Us playing could potentially cause us to miss one of these guys.

Let's hope we can do both.

Here is the latest on the subject from this morning's Omaha World Herald:

"Though the NIT has no requirement of at least a .500 record for an invitation, a tournament official said Tuesday 'the committee wouldn't look favorably' on teams with losing records. And NU coach Tim Miles repeated Tuesday that he's not interested in becoming the first Big Ten team to play in either the College Basketball Invitational or the CollegeInsider.com Tournament."

Well, then, NIT appears out.  As PimpMario has pointed out, in order for us to get over .500, we have to win the B1G tournament.  At that point, the NIT is irrelevant to us.  That's irony, right?  The only way we would qualify for the NIT is by qualifying for the NCAA tourney, thereby rendering the NIT moot?  I think that counts as irony.

Well, then, NIT appears out.  As PimpMario has pointed out, in order for us to get over .500, we have to win the B1G tournament.  At that point, the NIT is irrelevant to us.  That's irony, right?  The only way we would qualify for the NIT is by qualifying for the NCAA tourney, thereby rendering the NIT moot?  I think that counts as irony.

It's like rain on your wedding day...