CBI?

jayschool

I don't know what's best for the program overall, but If I'm Talley or Ubel I don't give a damn about B1G history or reputation. Let me play as many more games in a Husker jersey as I can get before I have to take it off for the last time. If we do get an invite anywhere, those two have earned the right to decide if they want to keep playing.

For us to finish over .500 is a longshot.  Even if we would, I don't see the NIT in the cards.  CBI is probably our only option to keep playing.

The team wants to play in the post season.  If we get a CIT invite, we'd take it unless there is some BIG10 mandate that we can't.

The games would likely be on the road.  I think the schedule to start demo of the Devaney is the Monday after the Minny game.

For us to finish over .500 is a longshot.  Even if we would, I don't see the NIT in the cards.  CBI is probably our only option to keep playing.

The team wants to play in the post season.  If we get a CIT invite, we'd take it unless there is some BIG10 mandate that we can't.

The games would likely be on the road.  I think the schedule to start demo of the Devaney is the Monday after the Minny game.

If we finish over .500 we may be a bubble team in NCAA's or at least a high NIT seed... a .500 finish no matter how we achieve it would put us in the NIT in a heart beat.  We play in the best basketball conference in the nation. 

If we finish over .500 we may be a bubble team in NCAA's or at least a high NIT seed... a .500 finish no matter how we achieve it would put us in the NIT in a heart beat.  We play in the best basketball conference in the nation. 

That's nice, but we're not getting anywhere near the tourney without winning the conference tourney.  Even making it to the finals doesn't put us there.  A .500 record sneaks us into the NIT, maybe.  Just getting to .500 doesn't guarantee we get in at all.

There is no way we are a bubble NCAA team unless we win out and then make it to the Championship of the Big Ten tourney.

Basically, there is no way we are a bubble NCAA team.  An NIT bid would be there if we reached .500 (I also think this is extremely unlikely). 2-2 is the best I can see us finishing, and that a stretch.

For the NIT, yeah, have to get to .500 to get in. Not sure where our RPI is.

Despite what a lot of people think, it's pretty difficult to get into the NIT from a power conference. You better be sitting either number 1 or 2 left out of the NCAA tourney from your conference to have a legitimate shot. For instance, if the NCAAs take 7 teams, you better be 8 or 9. Last year, only 12 of 32 NIT teams came from power conferences. That means after the 37 at-large selections for the big dance, as a power conference team, you need to be right there in line as the first 10-15 left out from a power league.

I don't know what's best for the program overall, but If I'm Talley or Ubel I don't give a damn about B1G history or reputation. Let me play as many more games in a Husker jersey as I can get before I have to take it off for the last time. If we do get an invite anywhere, those two have earned the right to decide if they want to keep playing.

So true, great post.

In the post game radio show, Miles said the team wants to play in the post-season.  The CBI is the post-season, but I have no idea if they'd accept an invite.  One would think Miles would be in favor simply for the extra practice.

No way we are an NCAA team even if we finish ,500.. The Big ten is the best conference but not by much over Big East and Big 12.  Just because you play in the best conference you have to beat somebody and we have beaten nobody, PSU twice who has 0 wins and NW with 4 wins and Iowa bubble team.

No truer words have been said.

I'm not exactly sure about the details, but I believe the NIT now takes several "automatic" qualifiers.  If you win your conference, but lose your conference tournament and the automatic bid to the NCAA (and you don't get an at-large bid), you "automatically" qualify for the NIT.  So, depending upon upsets at some of the mid or lower major conferences, there can be several teams from those conferences in the NIT.

The CBI certainly isn't a prestigious tournament, but I think it can serve a purpose for a program like Nebraska in their current situation.  They are finishing the first year of a rebuilding process under a new coach.  Here is an example of how that process has worked at Oregon:

2011:  1st year of new coach, won the CBI (6 extra games of postseason experience)

2012:  2nd year, NIT "Elite 8" (if there is such a thing in the NIT!), 3 extra games of post season experience,

2013:  3rd year, tied for 1st place in Pac12 and (barring a complete collapse in the next 2 weeks) a NCAA Tourney bid.

Not saying playing in the CBI guarantees this sort of result, but I think the potential positives outweigh any negatives.  The one negative is that the games are all played at campus sites, and Nebraska is not likely to have an available home court.  Don't know how that would work.

I'm not exactly sure about the details, but I believe the NIT now takes several "automatic" qualifiers.  If you win your conference, but lose your conference tournament and the automatic bid to the NCAA (and you don't get an at-large bid), you "automatically" qualify for the NIT.  So, depending upon upsets at some of the mid or lower major conferences, there can be several teams from those conferences in the NIT.

The CBI certainly isn't a prestigious tournament, but I think it can serve a purpose for a program like Nebraska in their current situation.  They are finishing the first year of a rebuilding process under a new coach.  Here is an example of how that process has worked at Oregon:

2011:  1st year of new coach, won the CBI (6 extra games of postseason experience)

2012:  2nd year, NIT "Elite 8" (if there is such a thing in the NIT!), 3 extra games of post season experience,

2013:  3rd year, tied for 1st place in Pac12 and (barring a complete collapse in the next 2 weeks) a NCAA Tourney bid.

Not saying playing in the CBI guarantees this sort of result, but I think the potential positives outweigh any negatives.  The one negative is that the games are all played at campus sites, and Nebraska is not likely to have an available home court.  Don't know how that would work.

Good point about the possible lack of a home court (I believe they want to start construction immediately after the Boys StateTournament on the volleyball project).

The way Creighton is going, we might get a rematch with the Jays in the CBI, and could use Century Link.  ;)

Exactly. Right now it sounds like  Ubel is the leader of this team, and Dylan is our go-to-guy. The tourney will be a chance for guys who will be here next year to step forward and start taking over those roles. Because the transfers and freshmen are going to need someone to turn to when they have problems (which is almost surely bound to happen) at some point next season.

• 3 weeks later...

I see it this way, I think there is more long term benefit to the program to have Coach Miles out recruting.  With the new recruits and redshirts coming in next year it will be a vastly different team.  There will be what, three, players on this years team that will be getting significant minutes next year (Shields, Rivers, Gallegos)?  I'm not seeing how road game(s) in the CBI will make this team so much better for next year.  We need more Jimmy's and Joe's so I say Coach Miles and staff should be out recruiting.