CBI?

jayschool

Just a reminder that Washington State went all the way to the CBI final series last year against Pittsburgh, all that despite going into the CBI with a 15-16 record, 7-11 in a pathetic Pac-12.

Beat Minnesota, steal a road win and another in the B1G tournament, and the Huskers are 16-17, having gone through the toughest league in the country.

Is that too much to ask for?

Oh, and Miles' 2010 team (his third season at CSU) played in it.

Personally, I'd like to see them take a CBI bid.  I think it'd do this program and returning players good.  No one outside of the program will remember they went to the CBI.  

Pittsburgh and WSU played in the finals last year, and that's the Big East and Pac-12, two conferences with historical reputations comparable to the B1G.

Is it a Delany edict?  A gentlemen's agreement among coaches/ADs?

Personally I'd want it because getting in as many games as possible for the seniors going out, as well as being able to continue to practice and build even more for next season.

I dont think its that any B1G team cant go but think its more in the gentleman's agreement that they dont go to that low level  tournament.

Why would you not want any postseason play? Playing more games is only going to make you better.

not much to gain from winning the tournament, less time to recruit, and possible risk of injury.

The end of the season isn't really the time you're worried about season ending injuries.  I, personally, think that any experience in post season play is good experience.  The more we can get players in situations where it's win or go home, the better.

Are we a powerhouse program and I missed it? How is this beneath us, or there's not much to gain? The most significant thing we've won is the NIT.

It has more to do with the B1G, not Nebraska's history.

The Big East and Pac 12 have been sending teams there without any reservation.  The Big Ten needs to get over itself.

I'd rather have our coaches out killing it on the recruiting trail and our players starting their off-season workouts than play in the CBI.

From experience, extra practices for pointless reasons in basketball is nowhere similar to bowl game practice in football - the practices drag on, players lose all interest - sometimes it's just better to be done.

With all the minutes Ray, Talley and Ubel have logged this year, and how it will probably play out the rest of the season--the starters getting the vast majority of minutes played, my best case scenario would be to earn a CBI invite and then politely turn it down. 

That is, of course assuming we don't play our way into the NIT or NCAA tournies.

there's still 5+ games left this season, so I guess we should see how things play out. I'm not against playing in the CBI, but i think shavon, david, and ray have played in enough big games this season where they'll be ready for next year. The sooner Miles can start recruiting is going to be beneficial though. There is a good chance Nebraska is going to go after a graduate transfer, and a alot of those guys become available as soon as the regular season is over.