Tom Shatel Live Trolls the Nebraska - Iowa Game

hhcmatt

"Enough Iowa fans here to make it hard to tell who the home team is," Shatel said.

Which game did Shatel attend? This statement is a looonnnggg way from reality. Good Husker crowd in attendance today, especially for a rescheduled game. A smattering of Hawkey fans throughout, with a bunch up high in one of the corners.

They were up high in several corners.  What pisses me off, though, is that they were well represented in the A and B level seats.  I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but if you have A or B level season tickets and you sold or gave them away to Hawkeye fans for today's game, you suck.

There were a lot more than a smattering of Iowa fans there. Close to 3500 of them, I'd say.  They made their presence felt in the first half.  

You beat me to it. There were a ton of Iowa fans there today, and they were there early. It was more Hawkeyes than I would've liked to have seen. There were a lot of Husker fans, but I still feel like they could've/should've snatched a few more of the tickets.

There were a lot more than a smattering of Iowa fans there. Close to 3500 of them, I'd say.  They made their presence felt in the first half.  

You beat me to it. There were a ton of Iowa fans there today, and they were there early. It was more Hawkeyes than I would've liked to have seen. There were a lot of Husker fans, but I still feel like they could've/should've snatched a few more of the tickets.

I can't really get on Husker fans.  They've been drawing 10K pretty consistently for conference games.  For a team that's not very good, it's impressive how many fans have shown up.  It's going to be a tough ticket when/if they get good.

I really could care less what Shatel has to say about most anything anymore.  As I have stated before, just because he has a journalism degree does not mean that he has any better observations than Joe Schmoe does.  In fact - I would rather hear the average Joe Schmoe's opinion than his.  This message board has more quality information than he could provide in any column.  We stopped taking the Weird Harold more than 4 years ago by the way.....

I think it was about 75-25 or 80-20. 

What a great day.  The Huskers win and the Bluejays lost!!!!  Creighton is playing their way right into the NIT.  Gotta love it.

No doubt. And the notion that NU is playing better than CU lately is a sweet thought. Would be great to meet 'em in the N.I.T.

I have to say that Shatel's comment about turning up the music when Iowa fans got loud is accurate.  That is what happened.  And I FULLY support it.  Several years ago when we had a bad snowstorm for a home game against Iowa State, the Iowa State bus was delayed and maybe a couple hundred (probably heavily intoxicated) Iowa State fans finally rolled in at about the 10 minute mark of the first half.  And they made their presence felt.  They were very roudy after being cooped up in a bus for a couple of extra hours making the trip that when they got rolling they REALLY got rolling.

About the time they showed up and started making noise, the momentum in the game totally shifted.  They out-shouted the home crowd quite easily.  And I think it affected the play of our team.  I think it was a little demoralizing feeling like there was a road environment in a home game and we ended up losing that game.  And I'm totally serious when I say I think a good portion of the reasons for why we lost came down to the energy of their fans infecting their players and getting them pumped up.

So, when Iowa fans kind of threatened to take over today, I think it was quite beneficial that we drowned them out with artificial noise and that really kept them from ever sort of recovering.  I unashamedly applaud whoever was behind the decision to turn up the volume on the speakers to drown out the Hawkeyes.  It's certainly possible that made the difference in the game.

I have to say that Shatel's comment about turning up the music when Iowa fans got loud is accurate.  That is what happened.  And I FULLY support it.  Several years ago when we had a bad snowstorm for a home game against Iowa State, the Iowa State bus was delayed and maybe a couple hundred (probably heavily intoxicated) Iowa State fans finally rolled in at about the 10 minute mark of the first half.  And they made their presence felt.  They were very roudy after being cooped up in a bus for a couple of extra hours making the trip that when they got rolling they REALLY got rolling.

About the time they showed up and started making noise, the momentum in the game totally shifted.  They out-shouted the home crowd quite easily.  And I think it affected the play of our team.  I think it was a little demoralizing feeling like there was a road environment in a home game and we ended up losing that game.  And I'm totally serious when I say I think a good portion of the reasons for why we lost came down to the energy of their fans infecting their players and getting them pumped up.

So, when Iowa fans kind of threatened to take over today, I think it was quite beneficial that we drowned them out with artificial noise and that really kept them from ever sort of recovering.  I unashamedly applaud whoever was behind the decision to turn up the volume on the speakers to drown out the Hawkeyes.  It's certainly possible that made the difference in the game.

I do recall attending that ISU-NU ballgame. It was a memorable night (and not in a good way) during Aleks Maric's senior season...