Barfknecht Article on Shavon Shields

Swan88

Here is a link to a Lee Barfknecht article in today's Omaha World Herald on Shavon Shields.  Here is a blurb from the article:

"The ultimate compliment is that Big Ten foes have begun to game-plan for Shields.  . . .  Michigan State used three defenders at various times on Shields, holding him scoreless in the first half but allowing 19 points in the second.  'When you see them strategize for him,’' Miles said, 'that’s a good sign for him and a good sign for our future.'"

I think a key to his future success is outlined below. Can he grow into a PF? Or can Shevon develop the quickness required for a Wing? Personally, I hope he grows a couple inches!!!

"Speaking of the future, what position will Shields play?

He currently is 6-foot-6 and 214 pounds, playing small forward. But he
doesn’t turn 19 until June. His father, Will, was a 6-3, 315-pound All-America
football lineman at Nebraska and All-Pro with the Kansas City Chiefs.

“I vote for Shavon to grow four more inches,’’ Miles said, “but I’m not sure
he’s going to cooperate.’’

Well?

“I think I can still grow,’’ Shields said. “How much, I’m not sure.’’

Said Miles: “He needs to improve quickness and change of direction to play
small forward, and he needs more strength and explosiveness to play power
forward. But that’s not exclusive to Shavon. That’s everybody.’’

I personally love the frankness that Miles speaks with.  He's never harsh, but he never gives you straight "coach's speak" either.  I really believe we hear what he really thinks 90% of the time.  I don't know many, if any, coaches that do that to the general public on a consistent basis.

Another reason, I've got belief that this rebuild is being built on a solid foundation.

I personally love the frankness that Miles speaks with.  He's never harsh, but he never gives you straight "coach's speak" either.  I really believe we hear what he really thinks 90% of the time.  I don't know many, if any, coaches that do that to the general public on a consistent basis.

Another reason, I've got belief that this rebuild is being built on a solid foundation.

This works during the "Honeymoon" period for a lot of coaches.  I hope Coach Miles stays this way and does not get burnt by being frank and honest in year 3 or 4.

I think a key to his future success is outlined below. Can he grow into a PF? Or can Shevon develop the quickness required for a Wing? Personally, I hope he grows a couple inches!!!

Well?

Wow. Atewe turns 19 in 2 weeks.

This works during the "Honeymoon" period for a lot of coaches.  I hope Coach Miles stays this way and does not get burnt by being frank and honest in year 3 or 4.

If his teams start winning, he'll be just fine.

Shavon has the skill set he just needs to work on being consistent. It would be great knowing that game after game Shavon is going to get at least 12pts/points. I really liked what happened against Mich St. Held scoreless in the first half and int the second half almost single handed brings us back into the game. We get a bit of depth on this team next year and opponents won't be able to scheme against him so heavily.

I'd also like to see him start to take more of a leadership role. Next year could prove to be very interesting. This team will look remarkably different and much improved. We'll have an excellent chance of catching some teams sleeping on us. Strong leadership by Shavon and Reyes will have a huge impact. A leadership void could cause us to flounder.

Well?

Miles, of course, has it right.  Shields is exactly what he says.  Not quite quick enough ideally for a small forward, nor tall and explosive enough ideally for a power forward.  He's a tweener.  If he grows an inch or two, I think he could develop the power to be a good power forward.  I doubt he ever gets much quicker than he is right now, though.  I think, and have always said, I think his game is more power forward than wing.  His size is more wing than power forward, though.  Right now, that is. But, he's still young and maybe he has another couple of inches of growth left in him.  Let's hope.

Well?

Miles, of course, has it right.  Shields is exactly what he says.  Not quite quick enough ideally for a small forward, nor tall and explosive enough ideally for a power forward.  He's a tweener.  If he grows an inch or two, I think he could develop the power to be a good power forward.  I doubt he ever gets much quicker than he is right now, though.  I think, and have always said, I think his game is more power forward than wing.  His size is more wing than power forward, though.  Right now, that is. But, he's still young and maybe he has another couple of inches of growth left in him.  Let's hope.

If Shields and Fuller are both listed at 6'8 next year, I will feel a lot better about our chances. We need height. Anyone know fuller's birth date? I would say Shields is more likely to grow a significant amount since he has the Will Shields genes.