Who will be next year's leading scorer in PPG?

Hooper

2013-2014 Scoring Leader for Nebraska  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Lead the Huskers in PPG Next Season?

• Ray Gallegos - 12.5 PPG so far this season
    • Shavon Shields - 8 PPG so far this season and trending up
    • David Rivers - 6 PPG so far this season and trending up
    • Nick Fuller - Over 20 PPG and all-time leading scorer in Big 8 history in Wisconsin
    • Tai Webster - Over 20 PPG in NZ and scored 21 in an international game
    • Nate Hawkins - 17 PPG playing unselfishly out of position as a PF
    • Terran Petteway - Didn't score much as a freshman for TTech, but does have skill
    • Deverell Biggs - Quick, slashing guard
    • Walter Pitchford - Incredible athletic ability
    • Vooch, baby!
    • A walk on or another player not yet on the team

I know this will likely fly in the face of current board consensus, but I'm not so sure RG is even an integral part of the rotation by the time conference play is in full swing next year.  And even on the chance he is, I definitely don't think his minutes will resemble his "green light" chuck-it-at-every-turn mentality that he's playing with this season.  Just my 2 cents, but I think he's the fourth or fifth leading scorer next year - at best.

Miles has always had offenses that were disciplined.  Once better players and, in particular, better ball handler/creators are available to him, I don't see any way RG gets enough minutes or designed offensive touches to be anything more.

I agree, BigTex, and also agree with Handy that we'll be in a bit of trouble next year if Ray is our leading scorer. I still see him working into a sixth-man role off the bench as the season progresses and getting playing time based on how well he's playing. 

There are a number of young players with scoring ability entering the mix next season, and they're going to warrant playing time. I believe that Ray Gallegos and Benny Parker are the two guys who will see their minutes decrease the most from this year to next year. 

Ray is a good shooter when he's hot. When he's not, he's a big liability. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a "drive and kick" game, so his value is limited in my view. I know he's quick coming off screens, but the MSU game was an example of how limited he is. If he's not feeling his shot, he can't score.

I know this will likely fly in the face of current board consensus, but I'm not so sure RG is even an integral part of the rotation by the time conference play is in full swing next year.  And even on the chance he is, I definitely don't think his minutes will resemble his "green light" chuck-it-at-every-turn mentality that he's playing with this season.  Just my 2 cents, but I think he's the fourth or fifth leading scorer next year - at best.

Miles has always had offenses that were disciplined.  Once better players and, in particular, better ball handler/creators are available to him, I don't see any way RG gets enough minutes or designed offensive touches to be anything more.

I agree, BigTex, and also agree with Handy that we'll be in a bit of trouble next year if Ray is our leading scorer. I still see him working into a sixth-man role off the bench as the season progresses and getting playing time based on how well he's playing. 

There are a number of young players with scoring ability entering the mix next season, and they're going to warrant playing time. I believe that Ray Gallegos and Benny Parker are the two guys who will see their minutes decrease the most from this year to next year. 

Ray is a good shooter when he's hot. When he's not, he's a big liability. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a "drive and kick" game, so his value is limited in my view. I know he's quick coming off screens, but the MSU game was an example of how limited he is. If he's not feeling his shot, he can't score.

That's my line of thinking too.  If you're Miles and you're deciding who to play at the SG spot next year, and you come to Ray's name, what is the only thing that comes to your mind?  Strictly a SG, a shooter, and even more restrictive, a shooter who needs a screen or a drive and kick to be effective.

Now, compare that to the options he'll have next year.  Shields can catch and shoot for sure.  Probably not as good coming off screens, but his one dribble pull-up is better.  Fuller and Hawkins can do all three better.

Without turning this into an RG hammer session, because I like him - he's a good player and seems to be a good kid - I don't see how Miles puts him on the floor when he has better shooters, better ball handlers, and bigger bodies that can fill that same one-dimensional roll.

Oh, and all three of those options can play multiple positions.  Throw Webster in there and you've got four that can fill his role and be more dynamic doing it.

Reyes is going to get a lot of good looks at the basket next year. Watch what he does on the floor. He has an incredibly high basketball IQ. Some guy who's never played a minute of college ball is not going to remove him from the starting line-up. Put him at SG with a PG and SF that can dribble drive and kick you will see those 3's as daggers. His presence will open up a lot of things for us on the court. Put an untested frosh at the SG and teams can pack it in a bit. Reyes and Shavon are going to be #1 and #2 in minutes next year. 

My question as to whether Reyes is our leading scorer next year stems from his green light to shoot. This year he has a green light and is shooting 37% overall and 29% from 3 point range. Will he be allowed a green light next year when we have a group of other scorers in the mix? Will he get more open looks and bring his % to an acceptable level? In choosing Shavon as the leading scorer I am assuming, at a 46% shooting clip and 36% from 3 this year, he will be encouraged to shoot.

I think the offense will allow Rey to take much better shots, and I don't see Miles taking the green light away from him. That being said, I do think his game is too limited to allow him to be our leading scorer again. I do think he'll lead the team in 3pt %, and he will probably be the guy we draw up a play for at the end of the game when we need a score (he might share that role with Shavon, depending on how teams defend us).

I somewhat agree with Tex and Handy in that Ray SHOULD BE a role player (i.e. not a top option) on a good team. He cannot create his own shot, does not have the ability to drive, and is not a good enough shooter to run an offense around (a la a JJ Reddick). That being said, I think we will be a better team next year, but not a good team. Therefore, Ray will still be a top option.

Hopefully some of our freshman and transfers play at a level that will allow us to create more open set shots for him within the offense so he doesn't have to "jack up" ugly threes. If defense can't focus primarily on Ray, it should greatly improve his percentages, and us as a team.

I consider Gallegos the best on the team at creating their own shot.  He is easily the most active guy in the offense.  The Minnesota game proved what he can do in any game.  He wasn't just coming off screens, but taking a couple dribbles for a pull ups.  Shields is decent at getting to the basket but Gallegos is still the main focus of every team Nebraska plays.

I'll take it the other way.  If Gallegos isn't our leading scorer we will be in trouble.  His play and work ethic must carry us.

I don't think Rey will be starting next year, so I sure don't think he'll be our leading scorer.  I'm basing that only on the past not his potential.  He's had 3 years here & isn't much better than a 30% shooter.  That's a sure way to find minutes hard to come by.  Now if he could get his shooting % up over 40%, he'd surely be a starter & likely leading the team in points. 

The only reason he has the ultimate green light this year is b/c our scoring options are so limited.  Hopefully we have much better options next year & we don't encourage a guy to go 3-15 everynight with the occassional night he goes en fuego (see USC & Minny).

Don't see Shields as being a go to scorer either.  His game is perfect as a complemenatary role but Illinios exposed Shields pretty bad in our 1st matchup (1st game after he went off for 29 against PSU).  They keyed on him & he couldn't handle it.

My guess is that it will be one of the new guys.  Likey Biggs, Pettway or Pitchford.  All 3 will be sure starters.

I don't think Rey will be starting next year, so I sure don't think he'll be our leading scorer.  I'm basing that only on the past not his potential.  He's had 3 years here & isn't much better than a 30% shooter.  That's a sure way to find minutes hard to come by.  Now if he could get his shooting % up over 40%, he'd surely be a starter & likely leading the team in points. 

The only reason he has the ultimate green light this year is b/c our scoring options are so limited.  Hopefully we have much better options next year & we don't encourage a guy to go 3-15 everynight with the occassional night he goes en fuego (see USC & Minny).

Don't see Shields as being a go to scorer either.  His game is perfect as a complemenatary role but Illinios exposed Shields pretty bad in our 1st matchup (1st game after he went off for 29 against PSU).  They keyed on him & he couldn't handle it.

My guess is that it will be one of the new guys.  Likey Biggs, Pettway or Pitchford.  All 3 will be sure starters.

There may be truth to what you say, but I watched the Illinois game and saw no sign of them guarding Shields any different than any other player. For whatever reason (maybe the athletic ability of the opponent) he scored far fewer points but he was not keyed on.

If Shields keeps playing like this, he might end up close to the leading PPG scorer this year.

I still don't see him as a lead option though.  But he is playing well & continues to play better as the conference season moves on.  Rare you see a freshman raise his level of play during the conference grind.  Now if he can avoid the dreaded sophomore slump.

Pitchford is going to be our next NBA player... he is going to be the best player NU has seen in a long... long time.  He is an all around player and is 6'10.  He will average 16+ next year

I hope you are right...but I am curious to learn the specific reasons for your opinion (since I have never seen him play).