Who will be next year's leading scorer in PPG?

Hooper

2013-2014 Scoring Leader for Nebraska  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Lead the Huskers in PPG Next Season?

• Ray Gallegos - 12.5 PPG so far this season
    • Shavon Shields - 8 PPG so far this season and trending up
    • David Rivers - 6 PPG so far this season and trending up
    • Nick Fuller - Over 20 PPG and all-time leading scorer in Big 8 history in Wisconsin
    • Tai Webster - Over 20 PPG in NZ and scored 21 in an international game
    • Nate Hawkins - 17 PPG playing unselfishly out of position as a PF
    • Terran Petteway - Didn't score much as a freshman for TTech, but does have skill
    • Deverell Biggs - Quick, slashing guard
    • Walter Pitchford - Incredible athletic ability
    • Vooch, baby!
    • A walk on or another player not yet on the team

I voted for Gallegos because its the most likely.

I hope for Shields or any of the newcomers because in order for us to have a good year next season, I feel as though Gallegos can't be our leading scorer. We need other guys to step up and need more of a "go to scorer" who can get to the rim, foul line and not have to (typically) come off of a screen to score.

I voted for Shields.  He's consistent.  Gallegos is streaky and he won't be our only option to score from the perimeter next year.  I believe we'll spread the perimeter scoring out more.  Shields is developing both an inside and an outside game and also the ability to drive.  That versatility will serve him well.  I think Gallegos goes down just because of spreading the minutes more widely and spreading the shots more as well.  

I voted for Shields, because I feel it was between he and Gallegos (at least until we see the other guys in live action next year). I think one or more of the transfers and/or signees could score more ppg however. Both Fuller & Webster could be big time scorers in our offense due to a combination of shooting & slashing abilities.

I voted for Shields. I believe he'll take more shots next year, grab even more offensive rebounds due to being stronger and take his game to a level where the 18-25-point nights are more frequent than they are this year.

Having said that, there are maybe 6-7 guys on the list who, if they led the team next year in scoring, would not surprise me in the least. Webster, Fuller and Petteway are three examples.

Petteway was a viscous scorer in HS and was the most aggressive in the few practices I've seen and is not afraid.  He puts the ball in the hole at the highest rate.  It will take him a while, but by the middle of conference season he'll be scoring the most.  Not sure if that translates to being the "leading scorer" by average for the whole year though, but that's how I voted.

I voted for Shields.  He's consistent.  Gallegos is streaky and he won't be our only option to score from the perimeter next year.  I believe we'll spread the perimeter scoring out more.  Shields is developing both an inside and an outside game and also the ability to drive.  That versatility will serve him well.  I think Gallegos goes down just because of spreading the minutes more widely and spreading the shots more as well.  

I voted for Shields and have the same logic as Norm in doing so. I could see Gallegos, Petteway or Pitchford also contest for this honor! I sincerely doubt that a freshman can come in and, in his first year, lead the team in scoring, even though I am high on all three of our current recruits. If a freshman does come in and lead the team in scoring, katie bar the door!!!

If it's Ray, were in trouble. He should be a 2nd or 3rd option and not jacking up 3s at the rate he is this year. Hopefully it's Pitchford, or one of our forwards.

I disagree somewhat... I do not think Ray is a 2nd or 3rd option because he will have the experience and will be the leader.  Yes I agree that he will not be shooting as many 3's, but that just means his shooting percentage will go up next year.  He will be getting more open looks

I know this will likely fly in the face of current board consensus, but I'm not so sure RG is even an integral part of the rotation by the time conference play is in full swing next year.  And even on the chance he is, I definitely don't think his minutes will resemble his "green light" chuck-it-at-every-turn mentality that he's playing with this season.  Just my 2 cents, but I think he's the fourth or fifth leading scorer next year - at best.

Miles has always had offenses that were disciplined.  Once better players and, in particular, better ball handler/creators are available to him, I don't see any way RG gets enough minutes or designed offensive touches to be anything more.

I know this will likely fly in the face of current board consensus, but I'm not so sure RG is even an integral part of the rotation by the time conference play is in full swing next year.  And even on the chance he is, I definitely don't think his minutes will resemble his "green light" chuck-it-at-every-turn mentality that he's playing with this season.  Just my 2 cents, but I think he's the fourth or fifth leading scorer next year - at best.

Miles has always had offenses that were disciplined.  Once better players and, in particular, better ball handler/creators are available to him, I don't see any way RG gets enough minutes or designed offensive touches to be anything more.

I somewhat agree with Tex and Handy in that Ray SHOULD BE a role player (i.e. not a top option) on a good team. He cannot create his own shot, does not have the ability to drive, and is not a good enough shooter to run an offense around (a la a JJ Reddick). That being said, I think we will be a better team next year, but not a good team. Therefore, Ray will still be a top option.

Hopefully some of our freshman and transfers play at a level that will allow us to create more open set shots for him within the offense so he doesn't have to "jack up" ugly threes. If defense can't focus primarily on Ray, it should greatly improve his percentages, and us as a team.

Oh, and I'm the lone vote for Biggs. I don't see anyone averaging much over 12-14 points a game next year, so I think it's a tossup and I thought I'd be different. From what I've heard of Biggs, he can get to the basket and create a shot for himself. Hopefully he has been working/will continue to work on his shooting before next season. If he can knock down open looks, he could be solid for us.

I don't think it's very likely that a freshman comes in an performs as the leading scorer over the course of the year. None of our recruits appear to be good enough to come in from day one and be a go-to guy. Hopefully a couple of them can develop into legitimate options by conference play, at which point their will be another adjustment period for them.

To think that Ray won't be an important member of this team is (I believe) short sighted.  Ray brings a lot to the team, not just his shooting.  Simply spend five minutes of any game watching only Ray.  I think you would be pleasantly surprised at what you see.  ...and by the way, he will be the only scholorship senior on the squad, and that beacon of leadership light will also be important for (what will be) a young team.

To think that Ray won't be an important member of this team is (I believe) short sighted.  Ray brings a lot to the team, not just his shooting.  Simply spend five minutes of any game watching only Ray.  I think you would be pleasantly surprised at what you see.  ...and by the way, he will be the only scholorship senior on the squad, and that beacon of leadership light will also be important for (what will be) a young team.

I'm not trying to suggest he won't be an important member. I simply said he is best suited to be a role player due to his one-dimensionalness (not sure what word I should use there...). His defense is much improved this year, but I'm not sure I'd consider him a plus defender yet. I'm not sure what else he brings, other than that he attracts the attention of the opponent's defense (but only because we don't have many scoring options). Admittedly, I haven't seen much of practice this year, but from what I've seen in teh past, Ray isn't much of a vocal leader. Although he does set a decent example for others to follow in terms of effort.

I absolutely believe he'll play, but not to the degree he does now.  And senior or not, Miles seems to have proven at all his stops that he's going to play the best players regardless of classification.

Obviously, only time will tell and none of us have crystal balls, but I've watched him all year cwg - at times just as you suggest - and I'm not even sure he will be one of the top 9 if we sign Atewe or another quality big.

The best part of debating something regarding the future, is getting to watch it all unfold :)