Perspective from a MSU alum

Donkey

A counterpart of mine is a diehard Michigan State alum.  He graduated from MSU in 1977, rarely misses watching football and basketball games, and is extremely level headed and honest when it comes to sports.  We talked yesterday and he offered a few thoughts:

1.  Had the MSU defense not been "perfect" against Ray Gallegos, Nebraska would have won.  He praised MSU's defense and admitted that it is rare for a player like Gallegos to be shut down like that.

2.  Outside of Gallegos, he thought Nebraska's three point shooting was incredible.  He said that MSU's defense does not allow that many 3pt shots and Nebraska moved the ball around pretty well.

3.  Almeida should NEVER play.  He felt Almeida was too weak, slow  . . . etc. to play in the Big Ten.  

4.  He is scared of Nebraska next year.  There is a concern among MSU fans that the Nebraska staff twice outcoached the MSU staff and that better athletes will translate quickly in the Nebraska system.  He is familiar with Pitchford and Petteway, and feels both will take Nebraska to another level fast.  He felt Ubel was a solid, yet replaceable, role player.  When I brought up issues of size and the lack of a point guard, he said:

(a) point guard should not be a huge concern because the players seem to be good at moving the ball around; and

(B) size should not be an issue if guys like Shields and Rivers keep crashing the boards.

5.  He is very impressed with Shields and Rivers and was surprised how young they are.

I do not agree with everything he said, but I wanted to share.