Old topic; new threads.

Norm Peterson

Sportin' some new threads on an old topic.

Soooo. Lineup. Yes, it's a bit premature for discussion. Ain't none of us experts. Just some basketballie stuff to talk about on the first day of practice. (Answered that question about first day of practice -- point for Norm.)

Thinkin' outside the box a bit. Since we're not deep along the front line and haven't historically been able to get a lot of minutes out of Andre ...

C1 -- Ubel ~20 min

C2 -- Andre 10-15 min

C3 -- Vucetic 5-10 min

PF1 -- Rivers? 20 min

PF2 -- Ubel 10-15 min

PF3 -- This Roster Ain't No Damn Fair 5-10 min

SF1 -- Shields or someone

SG1 -- Talley

PG1 -- Bigglegorker

The back court is not really the issue. It's the front court where we seriously lack depth. (OK, we probably lack back court depth as well.) And I just can't frankly see us playing Jordan Tyrance any real minutes at the 4. We have one sure thing down low in Brandon Ubel. He might not be a world beater but we know what he's capable of and he can certainly give us plenty of minutes if asked to. He won't hurt us. And he has plenty of starting experience.

Aside from Brandon, it's pretty slim pickings. So, Andre has never really been able to go more than about 15 minutes per game. That's not starters minutes. I can certainly see times where you'd have them in there in tandem, he and Ubel, but if history is our guide, that's less than half of a game, tops.

You also have Vucetic and if you had the luxury to do so, you'd probably ideally redshirt him. He needs to bulk up and kind of learn the American game a bit, from what I understand. And he's a bit on the soft side from what I've understood. He's tall. That's what he gives you is tall. Pretty much everything else needs work so far as I understand.

So, say you're Tim Miles. What do you do?

The way I see it, if you start Andre at the 5, you're likely (based on history) gonna get maybe just past the first media timeout with him before he'll need a blow until the end of the half. You could start Andre at the 5, Ubel at the 4 and then Vucetic gets about 12 minutes per half (while the other team makes their run ...) while Andre sits. But then Ubel doesn't have really anyone to spell him because you certainly can't go Vucetic at the 5 and Rivers at the 4. Can you?

So, how about you start Ubel at the 5 and sub Andre and Vucetic in at the 5, alternately playing Ubel at the 4 and then maybe Rivers at the 4 when Ubes plays the 5? I think Rivers is tall enough and long enough and athletic enough that he might be able to give you some good minutes at the 4. Do we have anyone else who realistically enters the discussion?

I think it's pretty safe to say that we won't be complaining that Vucetic isn't getting enough minutes to justify pulling his redshirt. Beyond that and the fact that Ubel is going to get more minutes than he ever imagined, I'm really not sure what we do when it's time to hand in our starting lineups. Or how we sub once we've decided who the starters are going to be.

And that's why Tim Miles gets the big bucks.

But the question is what lineup would you use to solve this dilemma of our lack of bodies down low?

Other thing: I had a great pic to represent "new threads" but when I tried to post it I got a message saying I couldn't. Anyone know what the deal is on posting pics? Videos are easy enough but apparently not photos.

You have to click on the "Image" button (11 icons from the left... starting with the Bold, Italicize, Underline, and so forth... then post the URL in that popup window). If you did that already, then I'm at a loss.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm all about recycling, here is Rosenthal's projected lineup

Brian Rosenthal @HuskerExtraBR

My projected #Nebrasketball starting five: PG Benny Parker, G Ray Gallegos, G Dylan Talley, F Brandon Ubel, C Andre Almeida.

This puts your bench at Shields, Rivers, Vucitec, Menke, Tyrance, Peltz, Ritchie, Kurkowski

(Not sure if any walkons will redshirt)

Since I'm all about recycling, here is Rosenthal's projected lineup

Brian Rosenthal @HuskerExtraBR

My projected #Nebrasketball starting five: PG Benny Parker, G Ray Gallegos, G Dylan Talley, F Brandon Ubel, C Andre Almeida.

This puts your bench at Shields, Rivers, Vucitec, Menke, Tyrance, Peltz, Ritchie, Kurkowski

(Not sure if any walkons will redshirt)

Makes sense. Biggs may still play so he could fit in somewhere also.

Are we going to have 3 walk-ons in the regular rotation? Eww. That would even be worse than some of the early Collier years when we were starting a Ross Buckendahl at PF or a Craig Wortman at SG. Looking forward to the day when our scholarship kids are so far superior to any walk-ons that the walk-ons don't even sniff any meaningful minutes. No offense to walk-ons because they're truly important to the success of the team. But not when they're logging real minutes. The quality of our roster is generally inversely related to the amount of real minutes played by walk-ons.

Love seeing the walk-ons rewarded with a few minutes of game time at the end of a big win. Otherwise, love seeing them at the end of the bench.

Are we going to have 3 walk-ons in the regular rotation? Eww. That would even be worse than some of the early Collier years when we were starting a Ross Buckendahl at PF or a Craig Wortman at SG. Looking forward to the day when our scholarship kids are so far superior to any walk-ons that the walk-ons don't even sniff any meaningful minutes. No offense to walk-ons because they're truly important to the success of the team. But not when they're logging real minutes. The quality of our roster is generally inversely related to the amount of real minutes played by walk-ons.

Love seeing the walk-ons rewarded with a few minutes of game time at the end of a big win. Otherwise, love seeing them at the end of the bench.

You have just described the way I view the football program right now.

Norm!!

Say it isn't so . . . !!!

"George Wendt has had to take time off work in light of a hospitalization on Sunday due to chest pains, according to the Chicago Tribune. The six-time Emmy nominee, 64, perhaps best known for his turn as Norm on the classic sitcom "Cheers," was cast to play Oscar in a production of "The Odd Couple" running at the Northlight Theatre in Skokie, Illinois, but will now be replaced by Broadway actor Marc Grapey."

I simply put in all eligible players

No, I know. I wasn't suggesting you were making any particular endorsement of the walk-ons. But, if you stop and think about it, we're probably going to see them play some minutes this year. Not all of them but certainly some of them. We don't have a full compliment of scholarship guys anyway (Menke notwithstanding) and at least a couple of them are sitting out as transfers. It breaks down as three freshmen, one sophomore, one or two juniors and three seniors as regular scholarship players. I would not be shocked to find one or two of the walk-ons in the regular rotation. (Even though he has a scholarship, I count Menke among the walk-ons just due to the circumstances.)

Norm!!

Say it isn't so. . . !!!

"George Wendt has had to take time off work in light of a hospitalization on Sunday due to chest pains, according to the Chicago Tribune. The six-time Emmy nominee, 64, perhaps best known for his turn as Norm on the classic sitcom "Cheers," was cast to play Oscar in a production of "The Odd Couple" running at the Northlight Theatre in Skokie, Illinois, but will now be replaced by Broadway actor Marc Grapey."

Wonder which character he was supposed to portray in the odd couple? ;)