How long before this ship is headed in the right direction?

Norm Peterson

So, how long before Miles turns this thing around?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How many years before we're competitive in the Bee One Gee?

• We have basically a whole new team coming in and loads of additional athleticism. I think it happens next year.
    • Boy, David Rivers' senior year should have half a dozen players with two full seasons being with the team and an opportunity to bring in some good players for the '14 recruiting class. I'd say 2 years.
    • Miles probably needs another couple of recruiting classes to not only get "his" guys but also up the quality. Figure by the time Pitchford, Petteway, Shields and Parker are seniors, we should be making noise.
    • This is a process. And it's not going to be easy. And it's not going to happen overnight. We're going to have to get better players than even our 2013 class before we can move up the ladder. Figure year 4 at the soonest.

I wouldn't say 3 and whatever in conference and an 11th place finish, plus some blowouts thrown in there, counts as competitive, so I assume you were being facetious with that comment.

I'd say competitive means finishing no worse than 8th and probably no worse than 7th.  It means no blowout losses.  And probably winning at least 7 of 9 conference home games plus maybe one or two on the road.  So, .500 in league?  That would certainly count as competitive.

I don't think we get there next year, but I think Rivers' senior year, we ought to be in the middle third of the league.

Honestly, I think the ship is already going in the right direction...it's just not going particularly fast right now.  I think we catch some headwind next year, but I voted for 2 years.  That's when this thing will really be moving, methinks.

I think Miles wins a tournament game before Pelini has us in the playoffs.

I wouldn't say 3 and whatever in conference and an 11th place finish, plus some blowouts thrown in there, counts as competitive, so I assume you were being facetious with that comment.

I'd say competitive means finishing no worse than 8th and probably no worse than 7th.  It means no blowout losses.  And probably winning at least 7 of 9 conference home games plus maybe one or two on the road.  So, .500 in league?  That would certainly count as competitive.

I don't think we get there next year, but I think Rivers' senior year, we ought to be in the middle third of the league.

Well, I wasn't being facetious. Being competitive and winning are two different things, at least IMO. Especially when you consider we're playing in the top conference in the country. If we were still in the Big 12, or in the PAC 12 I could see us finishing close to .500. Now if you are asking when we make the NCAA tourney, I'll go with the 2014-2015 season, if we land a legit big man.

I believe that Nebraska won't truly be competitive in the B1G until the program lands some athletic big men with size and skill. If the 2013-2014 season started right now and Nebraska put a starting five on the court that had Pitchford at the 5, the Huskers would be by far the smallest team in the Conference, averaging about 200-205 lbs. per starter. For reference, teams like Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota project to put starting fives on the court next year that average between 220 and 230 lbs. per man.

That's a lot of weight to give up to opponents over the course of games and over the course of the season. Nebraska has got to get bigger without compromising on quality.

I voted for the two-year plan, but I'm taking a leap of faith with that vote that the coaches will be able to land some skilled bigs soon, ideally with at least one coming in the 2013 class.

I don't know.  I put the 4th option but I like what I'm seeing from Coach Miles and this year's team.  He didn't write the year off and the guys compete.  I cringe at some of the shot selection but if Gallegos is hot, we look pretty good.  I'm willing to give Miles time.  Doubt if we ever contend for the conference championship.

It will happen fast. We will be more talented and deeper next year. Walt Pitchford will be a clear step up next year compared to our big men this year. I think we move to the middle of the B1G next year and win our first NCAA game the year after. The three new guys sitting out this year look great and will be strong contributors next year! The future is very bright with Coach Miles and staff! 

It will happen fast. We will be more talented and deeper next year. Walt Pitchford will be a clear step up next year compared to our big men this year. I think we move to the middle of the B1G next year and win our first NCAA game the year after. The three new guys sitting out this year look great and will be strong contributors next year! The future is very bright with Coach Miles and staff! 

Middle of the B1G next year? Do you realize just how much improvement would have to occur to go from being the #10 or #11 team in the Conference to being top 6/7? 

For us to be in the top half of the B1G next year, we would basically have to be better than 4-5 of these six teams:

Minnesota

Ohio State

Illinois

Iowa

Purdue

Northwestern

I don't see any way that happens next year. 

You say we get talented and deeper next year, but that's only true at the guard and wing spots. We're considerably less deep in the front court, barring any late additions to the 2013 recruiting class.

Walter Pitchford is a gifted athlete, but he's only about 225 right now. No other team in the B1G has a 225-lb. center. He's also not used to playing in the paint. He was a wing player in high school.

The B1G is a big, physical conference. Teams that hope to compete in the Conference have to have enough size and strength to bang in the paint. Nebraska is severely lacking in players with a size-talent combination moving forward, and until the program secures at least one of these guys (or builds Pitchford into one), my opinion is that any talk of major leaps forward in the Conference hierarchy are wishful thinking.

No offense Hooper, but there's no way we could be "considerably" less deep in the front court. Losing Ubel hurts, but we competed in the 2 games without him, and Almieda has been a no show pretty much all year.

Almeida hasn't been a no-show all year. He's been inconsistent all year, but he does give us a physical presence on the court, along with Ubel, that we may lack next year.

We'll see how much weight Pitchford is able to add before next season. Hopefully he can get up over 235, but even if he does, the only other guy we have on scholarship over 215-220 lbs. is Vooch. 

I have a buddy whose booster friend talks to the basketball staff regularly. I know that Miles confided in him that he's concerned that fans may be expecting too much next season, and his main worries are the lack of front-court size and depth along with the large number of young players in the mix.

Ubel and Almeida aren't the most talented guys you'll find in the Conference, but they've at least given us a chance to match up physically against B1G basketball teams in terms of weight and strength. 

Some of these bigger teams in the B1G can just kill us on the boards if we don't have any big bodies to match up.

Middle of the B1G next year? Do you realize just how much improvement would have to occur to go from being the #10 or #11 team in the Conference to being top 6/7? 

For us to be in the top half of the B1G next year, we would basically have to be better than 4-5 of these six teams:

Minnesota

Ohio State

Illinois

Iowa

Purdue

Northwestern

You say we get talented and deeper next year, but that's only true at the guard and wing spots. We're considerably less deep in the front court, barring any late additions to the 2013 recruiting class.

Walter Pitchford is a gifted athlete, but he's only about 225 right now. No other team in the B1G has a 225-lb. center. He's also not used to playing in the paint. He was a wing player in high school.

The B1G is a big, physical conference. Teams that hope to compete in the Conference have to have enough size and strength to bang in the paint. Nebraska is severely lacking in players with a size-talent combination moving forward, and until the program secures at least one of these guys (or builds Pitchford into one), my opinion is that any talk of major leaps forward in the Conference hierarchy are wishful thinking.

So you think I am drinking too much red Kool Aid Hooper? Maybe, but first listen to my argument.

I say we move into the middle of the B1G next year. By this statement I mean move into somewhere between the 5th to 8th spot. At this point in the season all we would need is three more victories to move into a tie for 6-8th place. We have been in enough close games that a deeper bench and an overall elevation in talent can easily bring us those wins.

You admit we will be both deeper and more talented in guards and wings but suggest we will drop off considerably in the front court. I contend we will not drop off at all in the front court, and may improve. Fundamentally our front court this year has been Shields/Rivers at power forward and Ubel/Ameida at the center position. We have played Ubel and Almeida at the same time but very little after entering B1G play. Shields and Rivers will both improve next year with another season under their belts. Shields should improve considerably. Pitchford is already in the high 220s in weight with another 8 months of lifting to go before next season. Today Walt looks the same bulk and muscle mass as Brandon Ubel and will only get bigger by next season. While he lacks the experience playing inside that Brandon Ubel possesses, he has been working on inside play all of this season and has developed some nifty inside moves. In addition, Walt has athleticism and quickness that just can't be taught. These are qualities that Brandon Ubel does not possess. I have become a big Brandon Ubel fan this season but still believe that Walt Pitchford will surpass Ubel's inside play before the first third of next season is over. As Andre Almeida has largely been a non factor this year, I find it difficult to think that he will be irreplacable. I trust this coaching staff to add one more big man at least as good as Andre Almeida. I don't know who this big man will be....it could be a high school player or a transfer. I also believe that Sergej will make enough progress reshaping his body by next year that he will earn some playing time in the rotation, but probably no more than 10 minutes/game.

Regarding scoring, we will have a much more complimentary group of skillsets next season. We sorely need players who can penetrate a defense and either finish or pass out to an open shooter. Dylan Talley gives it his best and Shavon Sheilds is progressing in this area. Petteway and Biggs are both strong at slashing through defenses and then finishing or passing to an open teammate. Both will add considerably to our ability to break down a defense. We will also improve in shooting the 3. Fuller, Webster and Hawkins all have the ability to shoot the 3 with respectable regularity.

I hope you'll start drinking some of this red Kool Aid. It tastes good! More than that, despite your skepticism, I feel quite confident about my prediction!!!

Minnesota

Ohio State

Illinois

Iowa

Purdue

Northwestern

So you think I am drinking too much red Kool Aid Hooper? Maybe, but first listen to my argument.

I say we move into the middle of the B1G next year. By this statement I mean move into somewhere between the 5th to 8th spot. At this point in the season all we would need is three more victories to move into a tie for 6-8th place. We have been in enough close games that a deeper bench and an overall elevation in talent can easily bring us those wins.

You admit we will be both deeper and more talented in guards and wings but suggest we will drop off considerably in the front court. I contend we will not drop off at all in the front court, and may improve. Fundamentally our front court this year has been Shields/Rivers at power forward and Ubel/Ameida at the center position. We have played Ubel and Almeida at the same time but very little after entering B1G play. Shields and Rivers will both improve next year with another season under their belts. Shields should improve considerably. Pitchford is already in the high 220s in weight with another 8 months of lifting to go before next season. Today Walt looks the same bulk and muscle mass as Brandon Ubel and will only get bigger by next season. While he lacks the experience playing inside that Brandon Ubel possesses, he has been working on inside play all of this season and has developed some nifty inside moves. In addition, Walt has athleticism and quickness that just can't be taught. These are qualities that Brandon Ubel does not possess. I have become a big Brandon Ubel fan this season but still believe that Walt Pitchford will surpass Ubel's inside play before the first third of next season is over. As Andre Almeida has largely been a non factor this year, I find it difficult to think that he will be irreplacable. I trust this coaching staff to add one more big man at least as good as Andre Almeida. I don't know who this big man will be....it could be a high school player or a transfer. I also believe that Sergej will make enough progress reshaping his body by next year that he will earn some playing time in the rotation, but probably no more than 10 minutes/game.

Regarding scoring, we will have a much more complimentary group of skillsets next season. We sorely need players who can penetrate a defense and either finish or pass out to an open shooter. Dylan Talley gives it his best and Shavon Sheilds is progressing in this area. Petteway and Biggs are both strong at slashing through defenses and then finishing or passing to an open teammate. Both will add considerably to our ability to break down a defense. We will also improve in shooting the 3. Fuller, Webster and Hawkins all have the ability to shoot the 3 with respectable regularity.

I hope you'll start drinking some of this red Kool Aid. It tastes good! More than that, despite your skepticism, I feel quite confident about my prediction!!!

Hey, I hope you're right. I liked reading what you posted about Pitchford. He's a huge part of how good we can be next year.

The problem I see is that if you really look at the rosters of teams like Iowa, Purdue, Ohio State, Minnesota and Illinois, you see that they mostly return a lot of talent and appear to be on the upswing. 

I actually do believe I've drunk quite a bit of Koolaid in terms of my expectations. I'm just concerned about adding some size to the roster to get us closer to fitting the physical profile of a B1G basketball team, and also realize that the teams above us aren't programs that just lost a ton of talented seniors. They're not in rebuilding mode.

I also expect a few more Conference wins next year, so we're pretty much on the same page there. Exactly what that would mean in terms of our standing in the Conference, I can't say, but when I ask myself how we vault ahead of the programs I mentioned, when they're probably going to be better next year too, I feel like it's kind of like paddling upstream.

This is going to be a really young team next season. It's going to be loaded with freshmen and sophomores. They may end up exceeding my expectations, and I expect them to upset at least one ranked team next year, but I still say that we would need to see a major step forward to be even an average B1G basketball program next season.