HHC inside jokes ...

Norm Peterson

• 4 years later...
On 2/19/2013 at 4:50 PM, Norm Peterson said:

The Miles quote.  It was awesome.

So, at the HOF dinner for Lue, Miles takes the stage (and boy did he ever take the stage) and talked about some of his ancient history with the Nebraska basketball program.  He tells of the time that he was an assistant coach at Northern State, just this podunk school up in Aberdeen, SD, and he had arranged for a weekend where he was going to come down to Nebraska on a Saturday and spend some time with the Nebraska coaches (particularly the restricted assistant at the time, Jeff Smith) and then on Sunday go on down to KU and spend time with their coaches (arranged through their restricted assistant, who, at the time, was Matt Doherty.)

He had arranged for these visits and these other programs were gracious enough to give him some time.  But he says he gets down to Lincoln and has a really great visit at our program, so much so that he calls Matt Doherty on Sunday morning and cancels.  He's going to spend the rest of his weekend continuing to learn from the Nebraska coaches.  And think how brash that is for an assistant coach at Northern State to call the coach at Kansas and tell him he's not coming.  Because he's going to spend the rest of the weekend at Nebraska learning from our coaches instead.  Wow.  That's a statement.

And that's when Miles said, "I don't give a crap what Kansas does.  And I still dont."

The applause, as you can imagine, was deafening.

I forgot about this story...