HHC inside jokes ...

Norm Peterson

I think we need to make a list.  Please feel free to add the ones you remember.

*  Official tweets (especially from Brian Rosenthal)

*  Coaching experience with junior high girls' basketball

*  Seaofred's mom being hot (or, more precisely, yours truly telling seaofred that his mom was hot :huh: )

*  Notre Dame stuff all over Mike Gesell's basement

*  Christian Standhardinger scoring at Hawaii (or at home or in a park or wherever)

*  Recruits with hairy legs

*  49r likes Shields

*  Cip abuses Nyquil

*  No more than an 8-man rotation

Keep 'em rollin'. 

The Miles quote.  It was awesome.

So, at the HOF dinner for Lue, Miles takes the stage (and boy did he ever take the stage) and talked about some of his ancient history with the Nebraska basketball program.  He tells of the time that he was an assistant coach at Northern State, just this podunk school up in Aberdeen, SD, and he had arranged for a weekend where he was going to come down to Nebraska on a Saturday and spend some time with the Nebraska coaches (particularly the restricted assistant at the time, Jeff Smith) and then on Sunday go on down to KU and spend time with their coaches (arranged through their restricted assistant, who, at the time, was Matt Doherty.)

He had arranged for these visits and these other programs were gracious enough to give him some time.  But he says he gets down to Lincoln and has a really great visit at our program, so much so that he calls Matt Doherty on Sunday morning and cancels.  He's going to spend the rest of his weekend continuing to learn from the Nebraska coaches.  And think how brash that is for an assistant coach at Northern State to call the coach at Kansas and tell him he's not coming.  Because he's going to spend the rest of the weekend at Nebraska learning from our coaches instead.  Wow.  That's a statement.

And that's when Miles said, "I don't give a crap what Kansas does.  And I still dont."

The applause, as you can imagine, was deafening.

I think we need to make a list.  Please feel free to add the ones you remember.

*  Official tweets (especially from Brian Rosenthal)

*  Coaching experience with junior high girls' basketball

*  Seaofred's mom being hot (or, more precisely, yours truly telling seaofred that his mom was hot :huh: )

*  Notre Dame stuff all over Mike Gesell's basement

*  Christian Standhardinger scoring at Hawaii (or at home or in a park or wherever)

*  Recruits with hairy legs

*  49r likes Shields

*  Cip abuses Nyquil

*  No more than an 8-man rotation

Keep 'em rollin'. 

Explanations for the inside jokes:

Official tweets:  Last year, while Doc's tenure was on death watch, someone (can't recall who) posted that Brian Rosenthal tweeted that Doc had been fired and added the comment that it was, therefore, now official.  There proceded to be a dust-up as to whether the news is truly "official" just because a reporter tweets it.  Now, when Brian Rosenthal tweets something, we will occasionally say that his tweet makes it official.

Coaching Jr. High Girls Hoops:  A few years back, a subsequently banned poster (Whiteknuckle?) used to offer unsolicited criticism of Doc Sadler's coaching prowess and particularly how he managed his players.  The poster's professed background that he claimed allowed him to judge Doc's managing of players was the fact that he coached junior high girl's basketball.  And rarely if ever lost.  As if that experience would enable him to reasonably second-guess a college coach.  So, if you offer some non-expert opinion on what the coaching staff should do about something, you might couch it in terms of, "Well, I'm no junior high girls' basketball coach or anything, but ..."

Seaofred's Mom:  I'll occasionally receive some well-deserved grief about making observations about the relative hotness of someone's mother.  This one probably requires no further explanation.  I did it once -- and I was absolutely 100% correct in my observations -- and I've been pimped about it ever since.  Yeah, I probably deserve it. 

Decorating Tastes of the Gesell (or other recruit's) Family:  Couple years ago, when the recruitment of Mike Gesell was still going on, a subsequently banned poster by the name of HuskerHoopsFan (who, I might say, was one of the most bombastic and confrontational individuals I've ever encountered on a message board) CLAIMED that Mike's favorite team was Notre Dame and that he was just waiting for a ND offer.  This supposed preference for ND was based on pretend knowledge of how the Gesell's basement was supposedly (but not actually) all decked out in Notre Dame stuff.  Turns out all this Notre Dame paraphernalia amounted to a single ND poster.  And that was it.  And it's moot because he was a Hawkeye in the end anyway.  But, if you see reference to how a recruit's family chooses to decorate their basement (I hear the Atewe's basement is all red and white), this is what they're getting at.  No, they're not claiming actual knowledge.

Standhardinger Scoring:  This is a Cip special.  It's a double entendre related to Christian's ability to make a basketball go into the hoop as well as his ... y'know.  

Recruits with Hairy Legs:  This one just goes back to a comment Tim Miles was said to have made over the summer about how he can tell if a young kid has finished growing or is getting close.  He looks to see how hairy their legs are.  I mean, that's just funny in it's own right.  From then on, when discussing potential recruits, we often ask how hairy are their legs.

Referencing an 8-Man Rotation:  Shortly after Whiteknuckle was banned, he resurrected himself as Kidney, another jr high girls' coach.  Kidney was well known for his obsession with how deep Doc's playing rotations were.  Since Bill Self generally only goes 8 deep, it stood to reason (to Kidney at least) that no coach should EVER go more than 8 deep.  After Kidney was banned, he resurrected himself again, this time as Bradguru.  Bradguru picked up the same banner and would complain endlessly about how deep the rotations were.  And he would transparently defend his alter ego, Kidney, for the crap he (he meaning both Bradguru and Kidney since they were the same person) had taken for suggesting Doc limit his rotations to 8 players.  References to an 8-player rotation in posts around here are probably a dig out this now banned poster.

I'll let Cip and 49r explain the Shields and Nyquill references.

But for the newbies around here who have joined since this most current version of the board came on-line, this should help you get up to speed on some of the recurring inside jokes around here.

Okay, I'll take the Shavon Shields one...

It all started in the game threads, almost immediately after he finally got off the bench and into a game, he showed some flashes of skill we haven't seen from a freshman in a while.  After a particularly nice move to the hoop, I expressed my surprise by mentioning that I liked what I saw from him.

Then he did it again, and I mentioned it again "Boy I REALLY like the Shields kid"....and then he did it again, and I said it over again.

I kept posting it to somewhat mimic his consistently strong play...I say it a lot because he plays well a lot.

I try to get at least one in during each game thread.

Y'know, KZ, I think you're right.  I think it was 5th grade girls.  

And rlgyank, who really is a coach, called Whiteknuckle/Kidney/Brad out on this coaching claim because WhiteKidney claimed he'd have his team at a particular tournament and rlgyank actually did have a team there, IIRC, and WhiteKidney wouldn't meet up with him and that kinda shut WhiteKidney up for a little bit.

Funny memories.  This board has been a hoot even during some long seasons.   :)