Well, we certainly can't blame this one on the refs.

Norm Peterson

Michigan State is a terrific team.  Great athletes with lots of skill.  And they have a great coach.  Really impressed how they were able to create match-up issues with their ball movement and all the really hard screening they do.  Would have been a tall test to top them and we would have needed all of our players bringing their A game, which we didn't get.  Definitely can't blame this one on the refs.

Having said that ...

THE REFS WERE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE TONIGHT.  GAWDAWFUL.  WHERE DO THEY GET THESE REFS?  DOES THE B1G HOLD JOB FAIRS AT THE CITY MISSION?  DID THEY FORGET TO PUT "YOU HAVE TO BE SOBER" IN THE OFFICIAL JOB DESCRIPTION?  IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME HOW BAD B1G OFFICIATING IS BECAUSE THEY GET WORSE EVERY SINGLE GAME!!!  THEY COULDN'T FIND WORSE REFS IF THEY PULLED THEM AT RANDOM OUT OF THE COUNTY LOCKUP. 

Whew.  Glad I got that off my chest.

Seriously, the refs really blew tonight.

Double amen brother Norm! Still can't believe they didn't call a single foul on Nix the whole night, not even when Dylan mysteriously flew four feet sideways from a forearm. Evidently Dylan has levitation skills... Horrible!

At one point in the second half, I watched David Rivers on defense getting pushed all over the paint for about four seconds, wondering how the refs let the guys in green get away with that.  Then, not even two seconds later, David Rivers had slight contact with the dribbler, and the zebra called David for a foul.  My reaction, other than yelling at the ref (he clearly couldn't hear me) in truly juvenile fashion, was amazement at what appeared to be the utter injustice of that little series.

At one point in the second half, I watched David Rivers on defense getting pushed all over the paint for about four seconds, wondering how the refs let the guys in green get away with that.  Then, not even two seconds later, David Rivers had slight contact with the dribbler, and the zebra called David for a foul.  My reaction, other than yelling at the ref (he clearly couldn't hear me) in truly juvenile fashion, was amazement at what appeared to be the utter injustice of that little series.

I live 3 hours from Lincoln, and I am sure my juvenile behavior was heard by everybody in the Devaney Center tonight.

Just remember what they say-you always get the calls at home. That line is absolute BS. For us anyway. I've seen 600 games in that building and I've yet to witness a game where the calls were even somewhat balanced. I know I'm biased but seriously not one game have calls been even. My favorite moment last night, I can't remember the scenario but I think it might have been an out of bounds call that actually went our way but Izzo was livid. So livid that the crowd wanted the refs to ring him up with a T. I look up at the scoreboard and the fouls for the 2nd half are 7 to 1. Seriously he had gotten every call he wanted to that point in the game and he's gonna ride the officials about an out of bounds call. Then a couple minutes later at the 7 min remaining mark the refs finally whistled MSU for a foul and the PA put extra emphasis when he announced the "two" team fouls for the Spartans.

Michigan State is a terrific team.  Great athletes with lots of skill.  And they have a great coach.  Really impressed how they were able to create match-up issues with their ball movement and all the really hard screening they do.  Would have been a tall test to top them and we would have needed all of our players bringing their A game, which we didn't get.  Definitely can't blame this one on the refs.

Having said that ...

THE REFS WERE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE TONIGHT.  GAWDAWFUL.  WHERE DO THEY GET THESE REFS?  DOES THE B1G HOLD JOB FAIRS AT THE CITY MISSION?  DID THEY FORGET TO PUT "YOU HAVE TO BE SOBER" IN THE OFFICIAL JOB DESCRIPTION?  IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME HOW BAD B1G OFFICIATING IS BECAUSE THEY GET WORSE EVERY SINGLE GAME!!!  THEY COULDN'T FIND WORSE REFS IF THEY PULLED THEM AT RANDOM OUT OF THE COUNTY LOCKUP. 

Whew.  Glad I got that off my chest.

Seriously, the refs really blew tonight.

I was hoping it was as bad in person as it was on the tube, But I was also thinking that tv dont always show what is really happenning in real life.

Yes, the refs are out to get Nebraska and it's all their fault that Nebraska can't recruit players, can't get in the NCAA tournament, can't win games and probably the reason Doc Sadler got fired.  Seriously, give me a break and stop crying.  I thought Nebraska had the best fans? Oh wait that's only when they are winning, and nice for people to leave sooooo early last night too, must have been the refs fault also.

Yes, the refs are out to get Nebraska and it's all their fault that Nebraska can't recruit players, can't get in the NCAA tournament, can't win games and probably the reason Doc Sadler got fired. Seriously, give me a break and stop crying. I thought Nebraska had the best fans? Oh wait that's only when they are winning, and nice for people to leave sooooo early last night too, must have been the refs fault also.

I understand that Nebraska is outmatched in every game they play because of prior recruiting etc. I get that. I don't expect Nebraska to beat a physically superior Michigan State team, a team that is light years ahead of Nebraska in the talent department even with competent officials. So...officials are far from being the reason that Nebraska can't win the game. But I will still say that the refs suck when they suck. The B1G officials I've seen this year have been inconsistent and incompetent.

And the notion that Nebraska fans are the greatest fans in the world or whatever they say is total BS. Nebraska fans support a winner just like every other fan base nationwide. I get that it's a little bit bigger deal here since its the only show but greatest we are not. Nebraska fans are slightly above average when Nebraska is winning and suck horribly as fans when the team loses. Not everybody, but plenty suck. I hate to bring this up and rehash it all again but here we go because its a great example of why Nebraska fans are nowhere near the greatest. We play very hard last night, competing very well for the most part against a potential final 4 team in Michigan State. And yet the greatest fans in the universe start streaming out with several minutes left on the clock. How about supporting a very thin team that is working their asses off and just competed for a large chunk of the game against a top 10 team? Nope. Not at Nebraska. Gotta get home and get to bed. Now about 4,000 did show support to the bitter end but the rest just streamed out. Not even close to the greatest fans in the nation. Not even close.

And yet the greatest fans in the universe start streaming out with several minutes left on the clock. How about supporting a very thin team that is working their asses off and just competed for a large chunk of the game against a top 10 team? Nope. Not at Nebraska. Gotta get home and get to bed. Now about 4,000 did show support to the bitter end but the rest just streamed out.

Always has been and always will be this way. Why I don't know, just the culture I guess when people get up around me i start calling them fair weather fans. I get some nasty looks.

And yet the greatest fans in the universe start streaming out with several minutes left on the clock. How about supporting a very thin team that is working their asses off and just competed for a large chunk of the game against a top 10 team? Nope. Not at Nebraska. Gotta get home and get to bed. Now about 4,000 did show support to the bitter end but the rest just streamed out.

Always has been and always will be this way. Why I don't know, just the culture I guess when people get up around me i start calling them fair weather fans. I get some nasty looks.

I just don't get it.  Especially on a Saturday night, not a late game, where do you have to be that you need to leave the game early when the game was clearly not over?

This frustrates the living hell out of me!

I just don't get it. Especially on a Saturday night, not a late game, where do you have to be that you need to leave the game early when the game was clearly not over?

Yep it really pisses me off. Especially when they just start getting up and leaving in the middle of the action and obstructing my view. How about waiting for the timeout or at least a break in the action?

I just don't get it. Especially on a Saturday night, not a late game, where do you have to be that you need to leave the game early when the game was clearly not over?

Yep it really pisses me off. Especially when they just start getting up and leaving in the middle of the action and obstructing my view. How about waiting for the timeout or at least a break in the action?

"Welp it's Saturday night. It's already 8:55, I suppose its time to get home and hit the hay."

Yes, the refs are out to get Nebraska and it's all their fault that Nebraska can't recruit players, can't get in the NCAA tournament, can't win games and probably the reason Doc Sadler got fired.  Seriously, give me a break and stop crying.  I thought Nebraska had the best fans? Oh wait that's only when they are winning, and nice for people to leave sooooo early last night too, must have been the refs fault also.

Hard to consider your critiques of our fans given your history of Husker player bashing.  The 'ol glass house concept....

I have had a night to rethink my above agreement with Norm (above).  Nope, my view hasn't changed.  I simply cannot understand the calls (and non-calls) that I have witnessed the past few games.  Perhaps because we are on the bottom half of the league, perhaps it is because Coach Miles is a rookie in this league, but whatever the reason, we are not being given respect by the Big Ten officials.  It almost appears as if the Big Ten is attempting to take care of their upper level teams.  I have sent an email to the Big Ten offices with some very politically correct comments; but that, and a quarter likely won't buy me a cup of coffee.

I have had a night to rethink my above agreement with Norm (above).  Nope, my view hasn't changed.  I simply cannot understand the calls (and non-calls) that I have witnessed the past few games.  Perhaps because we are on the bottom half of the league, perhaps it is because Coach Miles is a rookie in this league, but whatever the reason, we are not being given respect by the Big Ten officials.  It almost appears as if the Big Ten is attempting to take care of their upper level teams.  I have sent an email to the Big Ten offices with some very politically correct comments; but that, and a quarter likely won't buy me a cup of coffee.

I think Occam's Razor works here, and I think the simplest explanation is that we have a reputation as a team that doesn't draw fouls and that gets into the refs heads. Biases of this sort are perfectly normal and should be expected. I don't think there's any evidence of a conspiracy at all. This league has bent over backwards to make us feel at home, unlike PSU when they joined.

I don't like the officiating in the conference, but it's not because the get together to find ways to job Nebraska. They do appear inconsistent, especially between halves of games, and I'm wondering if they don't huddle up during halftime and critique themselves and then call the game differently based on that critique. That's almost what it looks like.

We lost last night because in that critical stretch we couldn't knock down a shot going inside; getting blocked or stripped and MSU hit every shot in response. Next thing you know, one point game was an eleven point game. That's how these things go.

The thing that I truely worry about is that the Big is not helping the league out in the long run.

Our teams get to the dance and continue to play like things won't be called because they haven't for the last 3 months, and suddendly you've got 2 guys in foul trouble and things aren't looking good for the rest of the game.

There is a rule book that all college ref are to follow and it should be equal in all the different leagues.

It has hurt us before in bowl games becuase of how the league calls a game and how the bowl officals see it.

I think Occam's Razor works here, and I think the simplest explanation is that we have a reputation as a team that doesn't draw fouls and that gets into the refs heads. Biases of this sort are perfectly normal and should be expected. I don't think there's any evidence of a conspiracy at all. This league has bent over backwards to make us feel at home, unlike PSU when they joined.

I don't like the officiating in the conference, but it's not because the get together to find ways to job Nebraska. They do appear inconsistent, especially between halves of games, and I'm wondering if they don't huddle up during halftime and critique themselves and then call the game differently based on that critique. That's almost what it looks like.

We lost last night because in that critical stretch we couldn't knock down a shot going inside; getting blocked or stripped and MSU hit every shot in response. Next thing you know, one point game was an eleven point game. That's how these things go.

I understand that there is not a conscience conspiracy versus the Huskers.  Yet I have now watched a number of both football and basketball games where I see inconsistency of calls between teams.  Just a few examples:  Twice the MSU point guard received calls on questionable fouls on 3-point shots, yet earlier in the game both Talley and Gallegos were bumped on 3-point shots, yet no call.  On an elbow shot, Shavon was hit on the elbow, but no call.  MSU big men were allowed to bump/push/lean inside, yet when Andre did it, they called a double foul. 

Yes, we still had opportunites and missed some shots that we should have made.  And yes, we were outrebounded and that played a big role.  Yet, when you see calls made on one side of the court, that same call must be made on the other side of the court as well. 

Don't see how we can say either of the calls when we fouled them on 3-pointers were "questionable"?  Those both seemed pretty obvious to me - especially the first one on Talley.  That one had to be called and was much more significant contact than anything that happened when we took a 3.

I have done my share of complaining about refs over the years.  Virtually no fan ever thinks his team gets fair treatment from the officials.  I doubt if we have ever had a game we lost where somebody didn't put on a post complaining about the refs or some specific call.

Overall I thought we had a couple of pre-league games with pretty poor officiating - worse than what we have seen in the conference.   Maybe that is just that I am probably more resigned to the fact that we are going to lose games this year and so I just don't get as bothered by the bad calls.   But I think it is inaccurate to say the Big 10 officiating is materially worse than what we had in the Big 12 - if anything I would say the opposite is probably true (but we all tend to forget the Big 12 games where we complained vehemently about the refs).

Don't see how we can say either of the calls when we fouled them on 3-pointers were "questionable"?  Those both seemed pretty obvious to me - especially the first one on Talley.  That one had to be called and was much more significant contact than anything that happened when we took a 3.

I have done my share of complaining about refs over the years.  Virtually no fan ever thinks his team gets fair treatment from the officials.  I doubt if we have ever had a game we lost where somebody didn't put on a post complaining about the refs or some specific call.

Overall I thought we had a couple of pre-league games with pretty poor officiating - worse than what we have seen in the conference.   Maybe that is just that I am probably more resigned to the fact that we are going to lose games this year and so I just don't get as bothered by the bad calls.   But I think it is inaccurate to say the Big 10 officiating is materially worse than what we had in the Big 12 - if anything I would say the opposite is probably true (but we all tend to forget the Big 12 games where we complained vehemently about the refs).

Think the first was a good call, the second was clearly a flop.  He had tried it a couple trips earlier.