David Rivers, Shavon Shields, Nick Fuller, and Terran Pettiway

Well, Benny is a true PG, not to mention a true freshman, and while he may not have much more potential for physical growth, I think the mental aspect of the game for him is just as important, if not more so. The comparison has been made before, but Benny could develop into a solid player like Chuck Richardson did. Now, I don't know if Benny can or will develop like Chuck did, but if he can develop his court vision and passing and improve his shooting even moderately, he would bring a skill set that our other guards don't have. I like Webster, Hawkins, and our other recruits as much as anyone, but they're combo guards. Benny could be a true ball-handler and distributer. If nothing else, he could give Miles an option to change his matchups.

I just hate to write a guy off after less than a year in the program. Sure, Benny's had his struggles, but I think he's learning and could be a good energy guy to bring off the bench. 

We have no idea what Tim Miles' philosophy is with regard to the revolving door at the end of the season.  Do we see a lot of premature attrition or do the players stick around?  I guess we'll find out. 

I hope things work out for Benny and I think it's too soon to write him off.  OTOH, with the recruiting that we've been doing, it does seem we've signed a number of guys who will compete with him for minutes next year.  And the points about Vooch not playing even though we have no size are well taken.

Still, there's plenty of time for both of those players to develop and it's too soon to write either of them off.  The coaches say they have a lot of confidence in Sergej and think he'll develop.  AND, keep in mind that there is a HUGE difference between how much you weigh and how strong you are.  Vlade Divac might not have weighed much more than Sergej, but he was older and his body had developed more. 

We'll know more in a few months, probably.  At this point, I won't be surprised no matter what happens with Sergej and Benny.  I could see them leaving because they're looking at greener grass; I could also see  the coaches keeping them around, or wanting to, based on APR issues.  What will surprise me is if anyone else leaves early.

Also, the fact is that Benny's playing time doesn't just rest on others who can play the guard spots. It also depends on how good guys like Nick Fuller, Terran Petteway and David Rivers are, for example. I can just think of so many 5-man combinations that don't include Benny Parker that I don't see how he gets anything but garbage minutes next year.

As others have noted, Tim Miles isn't married to the idea of the "point guard." He likes combo guards who have the ball handling skills to bring the ball up the court, along with solid defensive skills, solid passing skills, solid shooting skills, and an ability to dribble and drive, either to score or kick it out to shooters.

Benny Parker will get better, but the level of competition is going up dramatically next year. The fact is that it's likely that when Parker is on the bench next season, we'll not only have more size on the court, but also more scoring punch.

If the goal next year is to put the best five players we have on the court at once, while still getting enough size and rebounding ability out there to compete, it's just hard for me to imagine many five-man combinations that would include Benny Parker when so many other players will be in the mix for playing time who aren't in the mix this year. 

Nate Hawkins alone, in my opinion, will potentially kill Parker's playing time. His comments to a newspaper back when he was recruited:

"They told me that I'd come in ready to play my freshman year, that I could compete for a spot my freshman year. I'm not going to be waiting a couple years to get my chance. They run a form of motion offense, where it's a lot of movement and a lot of high screens. What they see me doing is running a one-two, so more like a Deron Williams-type player for them. I'd be a scoring, creating point guard in his system. I really like that."

Got to remember this is Nebraskaball and at least one if not two will be hurt sometimes this summer and we won't be at full strength anyway. :mellow:

In all seriousness we just have to wait and see what the coaches want to do.  We can talk all we want, but it really doesn't matter because nobody listens to us but us. :)

Can someone explain to me what APR stands for, and why it seems to be so important in some of these discussions? Not really familiar with the term. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate

Essentially it means you gotta graduate kids, or if they transfer out, they gotta graduate where ever they go to, or else you get dinged on your score. Get a low enough score (which is a multi-year floating formula) and you could lose scholarships, be ineligible for post-season play, etc.

Can someone explain to me what APR stands for, and why it seems to be so important in some of these discussions? Not really familiar with the term. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate

Essentially it means you gotta graduate kids, or if they transfer out, they gotta graduate where ever they go to, or else you get dinged on your score. Get a low enough score (which is a multi-year floating formula) and you could lose scholarships, be ineligible for post-season play, etc.

The important thing is that if players do end up moving on, we need to make sure they find a safe landing place somewhere where they'll be on course to eventually graduate.

Will Meinke keep his ship next year or was this a one year thing?

I don't think it was ever specifically addressed but I have to think it was just a one-year deal since the 'ship was available at the time and would have gone un-used otherwise.  I cannot fathom that they intended to have Menke on scholarship for two years.  They NEED that 'ship.  They cannot afford to have Menke tie up that 'ship for another season.

I don't think it was ever specifically addressed but I have to think it was just a one-year deal since the 'ship was available at the time and would have gone un-used otherwise.  I cannot fathom that they intended to have Menke on scholarship for two years.  They NEED that 'ship.  They cannot afford to have Menke tie up that 'ship for another season.

http://beatricedailysun.com/sports/local/menke-gets-nu-scholarship/article_db669698-14e0-563c-8c19-b0f34a0efb66.html

This is a short tidbit from an article on College Athletes Rights, written by Doug Segrest of The Birmingham News:

NCAA athletic scholarships last for one year.  There is growing consideration of creating multi-year scholarships intended to protect athletes, who make a four-year commitment to a school when they sign a national letter of intent, from losing their scholarship and their preferred athletic and educational opportunity before four years is over.

Two things

1. I agree 100% Norm that we will really need it and it should be a one year deal.

2.  I have seen the kids name spelled several different ways, which is correct.

The following was posted in a blog called "Inside HighSchool Sports" -  kind of cool:

The Rowlett Eagles have high school basketball's version of the "big 3". They have the big time inside threat in Jeffrey Carroll who averages 22 points a game. They have the excellent point guard in Austin Luke who dishes out 6 assists a game. And then they have the glue that brings it all together in Nathan Hawkins. The senior does it all for the 25-3 Eagles. He averages just over 16 points and snags 7 boards a game. One of Hawkins biggest assets is his quick release jumper. He can seemingly get a shot off whenever he wants with his step back jump shot. It's a move he's been perfecting for a long time. For the most part, Hawkins jump shots go in on a pretty consistent clip. So much so, that the Big Ten came-a-calling. Hawkins signed with Nebraska to play his college ball and being a part of arguably the best conference in college hoops was a big bonus for the senior.

The following was posted in a blog called "Inside HighSchool Sports" -  kind of cool:

The Rowlett Eagles have high school basketball's version of the "big 3". They have the big time inside threat in Jeffrey Carroll who averages 22 points a game. They have the excellent point guard in Austin Luke who dishes out 6 assists a game. And then they have the glue that brings it all together in Nathan Hawkins. The senior does it all for the 25-3 Eagles. He averages just over 16 points and snags 7 boards a game. One of Hawkins biggest assets is his quick release jumper. He can seemingly get a shot off whenever he wants with his step back jump shot. It's a move he's been perfecting for a long time. For the most part, Hawkins jump shots go in on a pretty consistent clip. So much so, that the Big Ten came-a-calling. Hawkins signed with Nebraska to play his college ball and being a part of arguably the best conference in college hoops was a big bonus for the senior.

So Hawkins is actually the guy who is like Paul Pierce?!?!?!

;)

I would agree with their assessment of him.  He's got an offensive game that is advanced way beyond his age.  He reminds me A LOT of Evan Turner (I'm referring to Evan Turner's skill set when he left for the NBA).  Before you guys jump all over me, obviously at 17 or 18 years old, he's NOWHERE near as productive or experienced or as physically mature as Turner was, but his game and skill set are very much on par.

That said, he's a much more creative ball handler than Turner was.  He's able to get to the paint whenever he wants and he's incredibly smart with the ball when he does.  He makes the game appear easier for everyone he plays with when he's in a playmaker role.  Unfortunately, this HS season, he's played almost exclusively in the post as a 4.  I've spoken to a person very close to him recently, and he says he's felt like a fish out of water all season, but he's trying to do whatever he can to help his team compete for a state championship.

His biggest asset this summer was his ability to create in the half court, both for himself and for his teammates.  I watched him personally this summer play against the Harrison twins in Dallas.  He totally outplayed one of them and, depending on who you talked to, was every bit the other's equal if not more.  The game was a barn-burner, and was back and forth.  It was a man's game!  There was standing room only and it was as electric and contested as any summer AAU game I've seen in a long time.

His dad is a coach and you can tell the kid knows the game and plays it the right way.  In my opinion, in the times I've seen him, he's been too unselfish probably.  He'll learn from a guy like Miles when he should make the plays himself and when he should get others involved.

I see him as a long, athletic, half court offensive creator that can get us something quality when the clock's running down or when the team needs a bucket at a critical juncture.  Anything you see from HS video or from stats is not representative of his game and how it will translate at Nebraska and in the B1G.  He's MUCH more skilled and creative than any of our current roster.

By the way, here's the video from CWG's blog reference:

One of the most interesting aspects of this group is how well they compliment each other from a skillset point of view. Shields, Fuller and Hawkins seem to have it all. They can shoot the 3 with consistency or drive to the hoop and finish. Neither Fuller nor Shields are ultra athletic but seem to have high basketball IQs. Hawkins seems to be a step up in athleticism over the other two and also possess a high basketball IQ. Rivers is effective when shooting 15 feet and in and is quite athletic. Not ultra athletic but possess good athleticism. To be a difference maker David either needs to improve his dribbling or add 25 lbs. If he does both we will really have something! Petteway is a true slasher. He is long for a guard, handles the ball well, similiar to Dylan Talley, finishes well around the rim and possess reasonable athleticism. He is effective inside the 3 point line with a very nice mid range and short range repetoir and has a quick first step. Like David Rivers, I don't expect to see many 3s out of Terrance. All together, this group provides Coach Miles with tons of options to break down a defense!

I'm really excited about the entire recruiting class so far. I love all three of them and expect all three to impact the program quickly. The level of competition at the guard and wing spots will be so much higher next season. It's going to be a blast to watch.

I don't know how well this team is going to do next year, and there will be growing pains, but this should be the most exciting and fun Husker team to watch in many years. 

I don't know which of the three 2013 recruits I like best. They all bring something special to the team in my opinion, but Hawkins is probably the most underrated of the group. He's going to be a special player.

I'm really excited about the entire recruiting class so far. I love all three of them and expect all three to impact the program quickly. The level of competition at the guard and wing spots will be so much higher next season. It's going to be a blast to watch.

I don't know how well this team is going to do next year, and there will be growing pains, but this should be the most exciting and fun Husker team to watch in many years. 

I don't know which of the three 2013 recruits I like best. They all bring something special to the team in my opinion, but Hawkins is probably the most underrated of the group. He's going to be a special player.

I think a lot of the excitement we'll experience next year is in the knowledge that the team we're watching will be around for a couple years and hopefully the team to take us back to the Tournament.  My hope for next year is to see flashes of excellence early on and during the last third of the season, see the continued improvement and consistency to be able to say, "Damn.  This team is going to be really good next year."

Y'know, I'm no expert but I feel pretty comfortable in my evaluations and, unlike a lot of people, I don't think I need to watch a guy for very long to get a pretty good idea of how good he is.  If Hawkins is the sleeper of the class, I'm going to be a pretty happy guy because I REALLY like Fuller.  I think Fuller is a very good get for us.  I think he has terrific skills.  And we know what Fran Fraschilla thinks about Webster (and I haven't seen enough film of him against any kind of quality competition to make an evaluation so I'll defer to Fran about Webster.)  THERFORE, if Hawkins ends up being a special player as Hooper says, then, gentlemen (and Ladyhusker), I'm tellin' ya this staff assembled a pretty incredible recruiting class on short notice.  Damn fine job.